Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Woodridge cues

How come you never see or hear of any pro's using Mike's cues? Very strange

Too tight to pay for one?? Also thought about the same thing- Surely there's gotta be one pro out there using one, cues are too good to be ignored by all the pro's.

Comment

Originally Posted by les147 View Post
      How come you never see or hear of any pro's using Mike's cues? Very strange
      I wonder how well known he is on the circuit?

Until I got interested in cue making I only knew John Parris which seems commonplace.

After reading most cue making posts on the forum I looked to see where the well known cue makers well came from, I was shocked to learn that I live a stones throw from Mike Wooldridge.

I played in the Portsmouth League and he was never mentioned (neither was any other cue maker except Mr Parris).

So I wonder how any handmade cue maker gets well known outside the forum, it doesn't seem via the internet (search terms):

Handmade cue makers (5th)
      Hand made snooker cues (16th)
      Handmade snooker cues (9th)
      Custom built snooker cues (couldn't find him)
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Didn't parris hand out free cues to the pros?

Seems a smart move to increase business reputation..

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
          I wonder how well known he is on the circuit?

Until I got interested in cue making I only knew John Parris which seems commonplace.

After reading most cue making posts on the forum I looked to see where the well known cue makers well came from, I was shocked to learn that I live a stones throw from Mike Wooldridge.

I played in the Portsmouth League and he was never mentioned (neither was any other cue maker except Mr Parris).

So I wonder how any handmade cue maker gets well known outside the forum, it doesn't seem via the internet (search terms):

Handmade cue makers (5th)
          Hand made snooker cues (16th)
          Handmade snooker cues (9th)
          Custom built snooker cues (couldn't find him)
          Agree partly with the 'Brand Awareness' angle. I've been a using MW cue for about 5 years, back when I first used one he wasn't as well known as the other main stream cue makers. I play county pool for Berskhire and play against Hampshire, London, Sussex, Surrey on a regular basis and see quite a few players use MW. I was in Yarmouth for a comp in November and was surprised that I saw so many using Black Spin MW's.

I think if you ask any serious Pool/Snooker players id be surprised if they hadn't heard of Mike's cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
            Didn't parris hand out free cues to the pros?

Seems a smart move to increase business reputation..
            Knowing Mike he wouldn't be handing out any freebies wouldn't matter who you are. Look at Tesla doesn't matter if you're Joe Bloggs or Tom Cruise you won't get a freebie or a discount for that matter.

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
              Knowing Mike he wouldn't be handing out any freebies wouldn't matter who you are. Look at Tesla doesn't matter if you're Joe Bloggs or Tom Cruise you won't get a freebie or a discount for that matter.
              Are the freebies handed out as a tempter to try and convince the top players that they are missing something better?

Surely if the cue maker is that well known then the freebie bit wouldn't matter would it? You'd want the best cue at that level regardless of price as the price really isn't that much when you consider what's at stake/

Interesting question though......

Comment

I agree with Mike. I wouldn't be handing out any freebies either through principle. For what they earn I'm sure they could afford one.

Comment

Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
                  I agree with Mike. I wouldn't be handing out any freebies either through principle. For what they earn I'm sure they could afford one.
                  So I wonder why they don't buy one.

I wonder if most players bought a cue in their early days and stuck with it regardless of other cues out there as they didn't want to take the risk.

Surely if they knew about's Mike's cues they would have bought one at the start of their journey.

Not sure either way why.

Comment

Allan Taylor uses an MW cue .
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Pros tend to use the cue they first started playing to a high standard with and then stick with it. Since they mostly start out very young, when that cue doesn't seem high quality enough they often try to get a pro quality cue which replicates it as closely as possible. Or they go someplace and try out a bunch of pro cues and pick one they feel the most natural with. Or they talk to a very accommodating cue maker who bends over backwards to give them what they want. All those roads lead to John Parris. Very few snooker pros are adventurous when it comes to cues and the ones who have changed cues a lot are usually doing so because their game has dipped, Higgins and Maguire, for example. Dale has used a massive variety of cues, but that's mainly because he loves the history of the game and is an avid collector of vintage and replica stuff. Some would argue that his game has suffered because of this. And you might be surprised to learn that lots of pros couldn't tell you even the most basic things about their cue, never mind subtle details like balance point. They simply don't care as long as the balls are going in. As for Mike, then he probably sells as many cues as his three person team can produce, so why bother courting the pros?
                      Last edited by ghost121; 26 November 2015, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                        Allan Taylor uses an MW cue .
                        Who is he then?

Comment

Charlton era player,,, I think. The dude with the white hair.
                          JP Majestic
                          3/4
                          57"
                          17oz
                          9.5mm Elk

Comment

A Scouse lad who is on the tour . Currently ranked 111 in the World Rankings .

Really nice guy , he got to the Final of the Pro Am at my club earlier this year and i noticed the black ferrule .

Got chatting to him about the cue and it was an MW .

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                              Charlton era player,,, I think. The dude with the white hair.
                              LOL ......That was the Silver Fox.........David Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X