Identifying Unknown Old Powerglide Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Unknown Old Powerglide Cue

Hi, I recently acquired an old Powerglide cue and would like help to identify it. Unfortunately the writing on the name badge has worn off, I would like to get it redone if possible. I believe what the previous owner says that is actually a Powerglide and that he had it years. I obtained it from his nephew who was selling some of his (impressive) collection off.

The cue is hand-spliced ash/ebony, weighs 17.4oz, has a 9.5mm tip and is 58" long.

IMG_20160123_183633.jpgIMG_20160123_183712.jpgIMG_20160126_220055.jpgIMG_20160126_220234.jpgIMG_20160126_220359.jpg

I scoured this forum and the Internet looking for clues but came up with nothing so far. It looks, plays and feels very similar to my Rex Williams Original but there are obvious differences with the badge. Maybe a forerunner?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...5&d=1453849862

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...4&d=1453849861
    Attached Files
    Last edited by limecc; 27 January 2016, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Modern screws suggest it's not that old ?? could be anything

Comment

I think it's a powerglide striker from 2007 (see page 4 from PDF below). Joint looks consistent to your pictures too.
        http://www.unicorngroup.com/Pdfs/Pow...OC07_Final.pdf

Comment

Not an old , i.e. original Power Glide , the joint is wrong , " ebonyivory " is on the right track.

Comment

Unfortunately, this is a cue from the 90s. Ball ended quick release joint with double brass collars. Their 80s joint featured a single plastic collar on the butt side with the shaft side featuring just wood and a bolt. This led to a wood like feel in the cue as the plastic was a similar density to ash. So this cue is made from oven ash as they'd run out of 12-24yr old English angel by this decade.

But still a lovely cue. Notice how PG still put a big leather protector on the end to protect the cue, little things count. How does she play?

Comment

the Striker is in the 2005 through to 2007 catalogues but was not in the 2001, was in the 2009 but with the brass button badge.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                Unfortunately, this is a cue from the 90s. Ball ended quick release joint with double brass collars. Their 80s joint featured a single plastic collar on the butt side with the shaft side featuring just wood and a bolt. This led to a wood like feel in the cue as the plastic was a similar density to ash. So this cue is made from oven ash as they'd run out of 12-24yr old English angel by this decade.

But still a lovely cue. Notice how PG still put a big leather protector on the end to protect the cue, little things count. How does she play?
                thought in the 90s Powerglide cues had the previous type of joint (long thin double diameter) type from the 80s, not this type shown in the photos and the catalogue.
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It would seem we have a positive id then.
                  Thank you, I'm seriously impressed with your knowledge guys.

Last I knew, Powerglide was owned by Gunn & Moore. Was the Striker very expensive and where were they made?

It plays very well, has some good feel but I admit I didn't play with it overly. A friend offered me a Xiguan MH laminated tip to try on it, so the combination was very different to my RW Original/Kamui playing cue. If I didn't have that I could easily take to it.

Comment

Originally Posted by limecc View Post
                    It would seem we have a positive id then.
                    Thank you, I'm seriously impressed with your knowledge guys.

Last I knew, Powerglide was owned by Gunn & Moore. Was the Striker very expensive and where were they made?

It plays very well, has some good feel but I admit I didn't play with it overly. A friend offered me a Xiguan MH laminated tip to try on it, so the combination was very different to my RW Original/Kamui playing cue. If I didn't have that I could easily take to it.
                    At some point they were owned by Unicorn group who also own G&M as brands. Still are I believe?

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      thought in the 90s Powerglide cues had the previous type of joint (long thin double diameter) type from the 80s, not this type shown in the photos and the catalogue.
                      In the 80s they provided a centre joint with a single plastic collar. Before the 80s I think they used brass. Brass returned for centre-split and the 'new' 3/4 jointed cues towards the end of the 80s I believe, so the single plastic collar didn't survive long which was very unfortunate as it's quite close to wood in feel, a bit like a hidden joint on an Aurora/MW. They changed the joint because the bolt was unusually long and took maybe 5 or 6 turn to lock into the socket. Cue makers were racing ahead with quick release joints because people had to save 10 seconds each snooker session (lol) so Powerglide responded with what you see in the picture. I have a centre-jointed Purist from the 80s, 3/4 jointed Purist from the 90s and a one piece Purist, amongst other Powerglides I've owned down the years.

Around the same time as brass joints making a return, they also began to run out of the hoard of air dried timber they had in stacks. This was simply a total disaster. Joints + oven wood = crap. :highly_amused:

The feel in Purist shafts from the 90s is nothing like the 80s. I am one of the few who knows this from the experience of owning and playing many though I believe some members have also owned vintage Powerglide cues, such as JRC.

Still, they produced Hendry's cue that won 7 Worlds, still more than Stamford, MW, TW, and all the cue makers on TSF put together. Not a bad run. lol

Their contemporary cues are quite good though invariably in 57" form only. And they've largely given up making 1-piece cues, a shame given that their one-piece cues were their best efforts in the past. They're not cheap either.
                      Last edited by barrywhite; 27 January 2016, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I have an 80's Steve Davis endorsed one piece hand spliced powerglide Riley... Not like the usual endorsed cues most will remember.

Rare, I believe....

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                          I have an 80's Steve Davis endorsed one piece hand spliced powerglide Riley... Not like the usual endorsed cues most will remember.

Rare, I believe....
                          Very. I doubt that was ever in a catalogue though Dave from cuesnviews would know more. Pics please.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                            In the 80s they provided a centre joint with a single plastic collar. Before the 80s I think they used brass. Brass returned for centre-split and the 'new' 3/4 jointed cues towards the end of the 80s I believe, so the single plastic collar didn't survive long which was very unfortunate as it's quite close to wood in feel, a bit like a hidden joint on an Aurora/MW. They changed the joint because the bolt was unusually long and took maybe 5 or 6 turn to lock into the socket. Cue makers were racing ahead with quick release joints because people had to save 10 seconds each snooker session (lol) so Powerglide responded with what you see in the picture. I have a centre-jointed Purist from the 80s, 3/4 jointed Purist from the 90s and a one piece Purist, amongst other Powerglides I've owned down the years.

Around the same time as brass joints making a return, they also began to run out of the hoard of air dried timber they had in stacks. This was simply a total disaster. Joints + oven wood = crap. :highly_amused:

The feel in Purist shafts from the 90s is nothing like the 80s. I am one of the few who knows this from the experience of owning and playing many though I believe some members have also owned vintage Powerglide cues, such as JRC.

Still, they produced Hendry's cue that won 7 Worlds, still more than Stamford, MW, TW, and all the cue makers on TSF put together. Not a bad run. lol

Their contemporary cues are quite good though invariably in 57" form only. And they've largely given up making 1-piece cues, a shame given that their one-piece cues were their best efforts in the past. They're not cheap either.
                            Still spanking the monkey about air dried wood and the evil of brass joints....and you still expect people to believe you're not a return account?

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                              Still spanking the monkey about air dried wood and the evil of brass joints....and you still expect people to believe you're not a return account?
                              Brass joints are evil you say? - CALL! :biggrin-new:

Comment

Working...
                              X