taper or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    I'm not saying do one thing or the other, but I reckon you either click with a cue or you don't, you can play with any cue, but clicking with one is done pretty quickly IMO .
    This^^........

Comment

I know what you mean when I first picked up my old cue it just felt right, but don't get the same feel when playing with my maximus. I have heard that Thai cues do tend to be on the stiff side.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
        Everybody blames the cue, no disrespect but I used to go round pubs and sold cues, we usually played a frame of pool and if customer won he would usually buy the cue if he lost the cue got the blame as you can imagine I never won many of these games.
        Nice wee story Andy, the power of positive reinforcement , and a canny operator, fatal to the wallet lol.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          I'm not saying do one thing or the other, but I reckon you either click with a cue or you don't, you can play with any cue, but clicking with one is done pretty quickly IMO .
          Could'nt agree more with this .

Comment

Originally Posted by smythe View Post
            So do you think that even if it is a stiffer shaft with practice I will manage shots like my old cue D M
            Just get on with it you will adjust over time ! Dont get hung up about your cue ! Lets put it this way guy walks into club picks a rough old rack cue and then beats everyone in sight with a full range of shots great control of the cue ball e.c.t., I know a chap who has a cheapo cue he purchased from Argos and he can play like a dream is not the cue its the person using it !

Comment

Yes I do agree with some of the comments but the new cue is a lot stiffer than my old cue. So having the taper altered would it play and feel more like my old cue.

Comment

the only thing a good cue can give is the placebo of having a good cue, i have knocked better breaks in with my old cheap cue lol.

Comment

Yes I do agree with some of the comments but the new cue is a lot stiffer than my old cue. So having the taper altered would it play and feel more like my old cue.
                  Have you tried changing the tip? Many a "dead" cue can be caused by a poor tip.
                  That said, some cues are just less responsive even after you've adjusted and got your timing back etc - take the tip off you old cue and refit it if you can, then you can rule that out.
                  Unless you're there when they're retapering the cue and trying it each time they take it off, it's equally as likely you'll end up with a whippy unsellable cues as one which feels like your old one.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Old cue collector --
                  Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                  (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Has anybody experienced going to a stiffer cue

Comment

Funny you should say that just had some B D P tips delivered today off ADR147 going to put one on.

Comment

Although people say you'll get used to a cue, if it doesn't feel right as soon as you pick it up it never will IMO...

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                          Although people say you'll get used to a cue, if it doesn't feel right as soon as you pick it up it never will IMO...
                          I'd agree with regards weight and balance, but tip size and taper can sometimes take a while to get used to, and is often worth the struggle, the problem I've found is it becomes a crutch to keep blaming the cue and swapping and changing.
                          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Yes, of course. But if it doesn't feel right you'll always have less confidence. Thus affecting ones game...

Comment

Has anybody experienced going to a stiffer cue
                              I have gone the other way round Smythe if that's any good to you. I started with a nice cue that I thought was stiff so went stiff and stiffer on every cue, then by accident got a cue( cheap Grand cue) that had a fair bit of flex at the top end and I love it, won't go back to those poker stiff cues again.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

So would you say then getting the taper done would make it more responsive

Comment

Working...
                                X