Curiosity About Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curiosity About Cues

I have 3 questions here for cuemaker or experiance player out there in around the world this keep annoy me for quite long time, im curious and would like to know...
    1) does anyone know why is that most snooker cues shaft or billiard cues shaft are made using ASH wood or MAPPLE wood?
    2) why not using others type of wood like fully iron wood, fully ebony wood, or purple heart wood etc?..
    3)if it does possible to make one with it, what is it will feel like?

Good morning, sir.

I was reading through some of the old cue threads on here yesterday and saw one by a very talented fellow called Jim Black. He had created a lovely cue with a purple heart shaft (and posted some photographs) which he claimed played beautifully. He did mention, however, that it was an extremely troublesome project.

Comment

Alas, I cannot find Jim Black's thread now. Perhaps another member might be able to help?

Comment

The thread is- Jim Black Cues- The Northy part of Ireland. (Nov. 30, 2013)

There was a posting to this thread yesterday actually.
        The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

maybe due to cost?

Comment

Yes that was my first cue a got Jim to make me and she looked and played stunning
            Ton Praram cue series 1 ash shaft Burwood and ebony splices with maple vaneres 58.9.5.29.4.18oz 18 BP

Comment

Originally Posted by Snooker man Stevie View Post
              Yes that was my first cue a got Jim to make me and she looked and played stunning
              Very nice it is too. Is it still as strong a colour as the pictures suggest ?

As regards the O.P. question, I think there are lots of cues made in materials other than Ash & Maple, but those two are the result of

a combination of factors like , availability/quality, cost, playability, customer requirement ( and their preconceived notion of what their cue should be made of ),

appearence , etc

Last edited by billabong; 8 February 2016, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Not that one mate lol the other one
                Ton Praram cue series 1 ash shaft Burwood and ebony splices with maple vaneres 58.9.5.29.4.18oz 18 BP

Comment

Not that one mate lol the other one
                  oops

Comment

Lol pall how's things

Comment

Lol pall how's things
                      Smashing. Cues staying in one piece these days ?

Comment

Trying to get bk to things mate looking for a cheap one piece cue

Comment

Got your pm mate

Comment

Stevie, if your looking for a decent player that's a good price, ADR has his own range now, he gave us a sneaky peak the other day and the cue looked really nice, might be worth a thought.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Thanks pall al email him

Comment

Working...
                              X