2nd attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vey nice looking work, well done!

I'm at about the same stage as you are, just finished my first 2 cues from scratch and one old 3/4 cue with broken joint and butt now a one piece. I totally understand the difficulty of getting the cue back to perfectly straight after splicing, every time it feels like it will never work out at all straight but it somehow manages to. Whenever I start working a little fast and loose I walk away for a few minutes or hours and come back to it focused and more steady, works for me.

Appart from getting the cue straight after splicing I am generally having trouble with even splices. I guess it is all about building up the skills with the tools over time and slowly working to finer and finer tolerances.

Anyway your off to a great start, just enjoy the journey and good things will happen.

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
      Can't edit the post above for some reason but I meant to say CANT justify the cost .

And it must WEIGH more than a small car
      Pm.me cach a got a bench grinder thing of a job that sat on a bench send number al whatts app u pall
      Current playing cue Trevor White
      3/4 ash cue

Comment

You can have it for free if its eny good its sitting in my truck at work
        Current playing cue Trevor White
        3/4 ash cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex Gara View Post

I'm at about the same stage as you are, just finished my first 2 cues from scratch and one old 3/4 cue with broken joint and butt now a one piece. I totally understand the difficulty of getting the cue back to perfectly straight after splicing, every time it feels like it will never work out at all straight but it somehow manages to. Whenever I start working a little fast and loose I walk away for a few minutes or hours and come back to it focused and more steady, works for me.

Appart from getting the cue straight after splicing I am generally having trouble with even splices. I guess it is all about building up the skills with the tools over time and slowly working to finer and finer tolerances.

Anyway your off to a great start, just enjoy the journey and good things will happen.
          Didn't realise you had started Alex, good luck mate and stick some pics up when you can!
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Getting the butt back to round was one of the parts I struggled with at first ....aswell as even splices .

The crazy thing about the cues is .Once you have figured out a way to do it ,you have no idea if that's the same way other people do it .

Comment

Getting the butt back to round was one of the parts I struggled with at first ....aswell as even splices .

The crazy thing about the cues is .Once you have figured out a way to do it ,you have no idea if that's the same way other people do it .
              I must admit I am also curious as to the different techniques cue makers use, especially regarding even splices! Though I guess there are only so many useful ways to skin this particular cat.

A couple of days hanging around a good cue makers workshop would be more than a little interesting. Then again making your own way will bring about (hopefully) a unique and individual style of cue making.

As j6uk would say the only way to do it is just get stuck in and keep at it.

One day I have to cobble together a little makeshift lathe to put ferrules on, doing it by hand just doesn't work out at 100% for me and I am not completely happy with 95%.

I also have the habit of putting a tip straight onto the wood to have a knock about to see how she feels, and i must say that I love the feeling of a cue without a ferrule.

Comment

Cue making folks have more secrets than the Masons...
                Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

I must admit I am also curious as to the different techniques cue makers use, especially regarding even splices! Though I guess there are only so many useful ways to skin this particular cat.

A couple of days hanging around a good cue makers workshop would be more than a little interesting. Then again making your own way will bring about (hopefully) a unique and individual style of cue making.

As j6uk would say the only way to do it is just get stuck in and keep at it.

One day I have to cobble together a little makeshift lathe to put ferrules on, doing it by hand just doesn't work out at 100% for me and I am not completely happy with 95%.

I also have the habit of putting a tip straight onto the wood to have a knock about to see how she feels, and i must say that I love the feeling of a cue without a ferrule.

If the lathe is just for ferrules then you could just buy the ferrule cutting machine from peradon . I think it's £190

Comment

If the lathe is just for ferrules then you could just buy the ferrule cutting machine from peradon . I think it's £190
                    Yes I have seen the tweeten ones, am not sure how good they are and it is a bit of an outlay at the moment for a couple of rubbish homemade cues. I was thinking my drill, some scrap aluminium for rails, and something like old skateboard wheels (3) to hold the shaft. i could all end in disaster.

Comment

Seen the Tweeten ferrule gizmo in action...very very impressive

Comment

Had a shot at an ash mini butt.

Slight damage in the threads removing it from the donor mini butt but still threads into my cue ok . Just a test to see how it would look

Last edited by Catch 22; 7 May 2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Had a shot at an ash mini butt.

Slight damage in the threads removing it from the donor mini butt but still threads into my cue ok . Just a test to see how it would look
                          Nice job catch,

I couldn't even drill a hole straight enough by hand to have a go at that. Looks good, how well does it line up when attached to the cue?

I'm guessing that you will have some fun with some nice exotic woods for the mini butts when you are happy that you have it nailed. (not saying that you didn't with this one)

Comment

Nice job catch,

I couldn't even drill a hole straight enough by hand to have a go at that. Looks good, how well does it line up when attached to the cue?

I'm guessing that you will have some fun with some nice exotic woods for the mini butts when you are happy that you have it nailed. (not saying that you didn't with this one)

It fits ok .I quite liked the idea of ash and as it is an off cut from one of the dowels then it was ready made sort of .

I planed a dowel from a rosewood blank a while ago but it's not really worth the effort at the blank costs more than buying a cheap mini butt . It is 12" long so could be cut into two mini butts . But not something I would do again .

Comment

be interested to a few pics of your setup catch. and the jig you made to do your mini butts?

Comment

2nd attempt

dont give away any of your secrets catch...not really hard to figure out how to make a simple jig for this...just look on youtube...j6uk. u make great cues yourself so u must have a fair idea how its done ?
                                Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Working...
                                X