2nd attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by warren132 View Post
    dont give away any of your secrets catch...not really hard to figure out how to make a simple jig for this...just look on youtube...j6uk. u make great cues yourself so u must have a fair idea how its done ?
    I'm not sure that there are too many secrets in cue making, mostly smoke and mirrors. Everyone has their own little techniques I expect but it is mostly hard work and practice. It is not so hard to make a cue, making good or excellent cues is a different matter. j6uk himself has been very open about his methods and has posted huge amounts of pictures and videos of his cue making. Giving a little back wouldn't be so bad would it?

Comment

There are no secrets just different techniques and each maker finds their own that works. If they stumble across another that's better then all well and good. I now use the Andy Hunter technique for fitting weights that I saw on one of his youtube videos rather than trying to accurately drill 12 inches up the end of the butt by hand with a brace and bit with the cue held in a vice like I did before. It wasn't as accurate as I thought, couldn't be really.

As for mini butts you can buy this horizontal lathe attachment for a pillar drill if you have one.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
        There are no secrets just different techniques and each maker finds their own that works. If they stumble across another that's better then all well and good. I now use the Andy Hunter technique for fitting weights that I saw on one of his youtube videos rather than trying to accurately drill 12 inches up the end of the butt by hand with a brace and bit with the cue held in a vice like I did before. It wasn't as accurate as I thought, couldn't be really.

As for mini butts you can buy this horizontal lathe attachment for a pillar drill if you have one.

[ATTACH]18767[/ATTACH]
        That's an interesting bit of kit Vmax.

I bought a pillar drill a while back and drilled one hole and it burnt out, how's your luck.

I'll be looking for something a bit newer soon!
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex Gara View Post
          I'm not sure that there are too many secrets in cue making, mostly smoke and mirrors. Everyone has their own little techniques I expect but it is mostly hard work and practice. It is not so hard to make a cue, making good or excellent cues is a different matter. j6uk himself has been very open about his methods and has posted huge amounts of pictures and videos of his cue making. Giving a little back wouldn't be so bad would it?
          Not so sure as I agree with there aren't too many secrets Alex.

I've managed a lot of trades in my time and cue making (snooker) is probably the biggest kept secret of all time.

You won't find a book or decent video from a cue maker (professional) anywhere on the full process as it is a small pond and it would open up competition so I can understand why.

Some are good enough to throw you a piece every now and again which is great as I am genuinely interested but getting information certainly isn't easy or we'd just buy a book on it.

J6 is gives a lot back and I have certainly enjoyed his thread.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            I bought a pillar drill a while back and drilled one hole and it burnt out, how's your luck.
            Mine's still going strong.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              Mine's still going strong.
              Stop showing off!

Comment

The mini butt was drilled in a drill press . The butt was held by a vice on the drill press table and then drilled . Nothing complicated .
                As Vmax said . The butt joints in the bottom can be done with a brace or any other jig . I have tried a few different ways to do it . I've built a jig that holds it true and a sled to slide the drill bit into . Being made from wood it wasn't bad and worked great on a few cues but then wrecked another lol . So wasn't reliable enough .

Working on something new this round so hopefully it's better .

I suppose a drill guide would work as you're only drilling in about 30mm

3/4 and half joints ....forget it lol .

Comment

Just to add . The contraption for the drill press might work . But for not much more you could by a small bench top lathe that will take a piece up to 300mm IIRC . And would be a lot safer too .

Which if you really wanted could turn you an ebony 3/4 butt .

Using machines though takes away from why I took it up as a hobby . I like using the hand plane and like revealing the splices etc by hand .

I've seen splices cut with table saws and belt sanders , but I'd rather cut the splices by hand .

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                    Just to add . The contraption for the drill press might work . But for not much more you could by a small bench top lathe that will take a piece up to 300mm IIRC . And would be a lot safer too .

Which if you really wanted could turn you an ebony 3/4 butt .

Using machines though takes away from why I took it up as a hobby . I like using the hand plane and like revealing the splices etc by hand .

I've seen splices cut with table saws and belt sanders , but I'd rather cut the splices by hand .
                    Catch 22 is right, small lathe is not a lot of money and don't take up much space.
                    I made a mini butt to match the cue I use at the mo, the one on my pic and as I've used a lathe for year's, it was straight forward to finish off there.
                    I have found that there are a lot of secrets but a few will help, I've found.
                    I'm always willing to learn as I would say I know it all but do know plenty about the woodwork trade as I've been in it for long enough and played cue sorted for even longer.
                    For that one you've always wanted...
                    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

I quite like this one ....the two side splices are cut longer than the front and back splices and the sides incorporate a maple veneer .

Comment

I like that, I like the grain pattern in the butt.

Comment

That's a nice cue mate, well done.

Comment

Spliced like the Thai cue makers, side splices done second ?
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              Spliced like the Thai cue makers, side splices done second ?
                              It's spliced that way because of the design . I wanted the maple veneers on the side splices .

If I'm making a plain black butt I usually do the front and back splices first and then the sides . If I'm going to add lower decorative splices then I would do the sides first and then front and back . Just depends on the look

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                                I quite like this one ....the two side splices are cut longer than the front and back splices and the sides incorporate a maple veneer .

Looks very nice !!

Comment

Working...
                                X