Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by BITTER
    My cue is 19 oz natural weight No added weight

However what's important for me is the balance point at 17 inches.

The distribution is important
    Yes, I agree about the balance point being so important. I once had a cue made for me by Mike Wooldridge and he told me that he always aims for the balance point to be around 18inches. Thats what he considered to be the perfect point.

Oldgit
    'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Originally Posted by Son of Cliff
      My cue is 18 3/4oz which is fine on most tables, but I struggle if I play on a table that has not been ironed and therefore slow.
      If you have a well maintained table you can play with a lighter cue as you dont have to put so much effort into the white ball.
      The Pro's today have it made they practice on fast tables then play under television lights with under table heating,I would love to see some of them playing with no heating and using over 30oz cloth, we would not see so many big breaks as the balls would not break up so easily, and the game could become more enjoyable to watch again.
      Yes, as I saw for myself at the ravenance pro-am last month at Rileys, Castle Vale.
      Okay there were a few centuries but speaking to a few of the top 16 players who entered, they all said that it was a struggle and although the pockets maybe slightly bigger, its actually a lot harder playing on slow tables with dead cushions!

Comment

Yes 17-18 is what I aim for on all my designs hence a long 16 inch joint.
        This tends to give you natural cue of 17 1/2- 19 1/2 oz in ash and 18- 21 in Maple.

Comment

In the 12/13 years I've been playing I've used the following cues:

years 1-3 - borrowed my dads 1-piece ~28oz +
          years 4-7 - bought a chunky 2-piece ~ 23oz
          years 8-13 - bought a cheap 3-piece 14oz (- started playing league here.)
          now - play with 3-piece 17oz

Comment

ive always played with cues about 16 3/4oz - 17 1/2oz (4 of the cues i have)
            and break with another 19oz cue and just brought a new cue which is 21oz and still wining 70-75% of the games ive played this week so ive uped my weight quite a bit

if 2 month's ago i could have found someone to make me a cue that had a 6mm tip i was thinking of about 19oz for it but couldn't find anyone so found a nice cue and brought it hoping 21oz wasnt going to be to much but after playing with it i think its the right weight for me also brought a second one and sold it to a mate and he has got on well with it as well

Comment

The weight of my three main playing cues are:

Longoni -- 19 oz
              Parris -- 18.8 oz
              Brunswick -- 18.3 oz

-- peer

Comment

I bought my then year-old JP Special on eBay 4 years ago, and according to the spec it was 18oz. However when I weighed it on some electronic scales, it was more like 19.5oz and also very butt-heavy with the balance point at around 10". I took it back to John Parris a couple of years ago, and he found that a metal weight had been fitted inside the butt behind the SD joint.

He drilled that out for me and replaced the SD joint, It now weighs in at 17.75oz, and the balance point feels a lot better being fractionally above the joint at 16". It has an ebony butt with 4 splices of dark rosewood with light and dark blue pearlescent veneers and a facing splice of ebony.

Without using wood of a lower density to make up the butt, and assuming that the joint remains at 16", I don't see how it would be possible to adjust the balance point much further forward, say, to around 18", without drilling out most of the wood inside the butt which could affect the structural integrity of the cue. However I have to say I'm very happy with it as it is now.

Comment

i started with 18.0z -18. 1/2 0Z now using 17.1/2 0z feels much better lot more responsive and a lot more cue power -which ive always had -but dont have to force it as much IMO!!

Comment

Working...
                  X