Oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak

The symbol of England's might and grace. It has legendary longevity in building and furniture making, but has anyone made cue shafts out of it?

Wood Species Specific Gravity* Compressive Strength (psi) Bending Strength (psi) Stiffness (Mpsi) Hardness (lb)

Ash_______________0.60_________7,410______________ _15,000___________1.74_________1,320

White Oak_________0.68__________7,440_______________15,2 00___________1.78_________1,360

Maple_____________0.63__________7,830_____________ _15,800___________1.83_________1,450

Mechanically, oak would appear to be closer to ash than maple, though grains are different of course. Oak is a bit denser than both, could that help the balancing of a potential shaft to be more forward weighted?
    Last edited by Cannonball; 29 May 2016, 10:05 AM.

People have made cues from oak,dave Coutts for one.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
      People have made cues from oak,dave Coutts for one.
      Cheers Jim. Any idea how it planed and played?

Comment

Have been discussed before when someone came on wanting to sell them at very high prices, they were shot down by Trevor, since ive come back on here the "search" function doesn't appear to work tho otherwise i would have linked you to it for a read.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Have been discussed before when someone came on wanting to sell them at very high prices, they were shot down by Trevor, since ive come back on here the "search" function doesn't appear to work tho otherwise i would have linked you to it for a read.
          Cheers, what was Trev's beef with oak?

* Found it in Google JCR by using 'oak cue snooker forum'. Yep, Google is a better search engine for tsf than the tsf engine! lol

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...liced-Oak-cue-!!
          Last edited by Cannonball; 29 May 2016, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Would this oak need to be dried in any special kind of way?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
              Would this oak need to be dried in any special kind of way?
              Dunno mate, but I've got three huge boards sitting in front of me that have been shall we say, naturally maturing since 1992. Only 25 years but not bad.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
                Cheers, what was Trev's beef with oak?

* Found it in Google JCR by using 'oak cue snooker forum'. Yep, Google is a better search engine for tsf than the tsf engine! lol

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...liced-Oak-cue-!!
                Phew just read right through that thread, wish the pictures were still available.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Phew just read right through that thread, wish the pictures were still available.
                  Congrats! I skipped a lot of it. Got the jist, but yeah, the pics would have been good. Throughout the thread, folk are saying oak is too stiff but the stats I've found suggest it's between ash and maple in stiffness, so I'm a bit confused. It's denser and heavier but I figure that's no bad thing, it just shifts the weight forward which means less brass weighting so I'm wondering if an oak cue with say ebony splices could be unweighted and still come in at say 17oz? Not sure if the feel would suffer from a denser shaft, it would certainly be a different feedback. I'd love to hear from someone with knowledge of how they play because that' obviously the most important factor.

Comment

Was a nice looking cue from what I remember

Comment

Was a nice looking cue from what I remember
                      Did I get the wrong end of the stick or was Jason Owen 001 made from oak by mistake? I don't want to re-read the whole thing again!

Comment

Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
                        Did I get the wrong end of the stick or was Jason Owen 001 made from oak by mistake? I don't want to re-read the whole thing again!
                        That appears to be what Craftsman's thought

Comment

That appears to be what Craftsman's thought
                          Thanks. Well, those cats know a thing about timber and cues. They've used a specially matured ash with some success don't you know. :biggrin-new: If it's made from oak, then 001 is uber collectable. I'd love to see/play that cue.

Comment

Andy Hunter knows quite a bit about this topic but doesn't write on this forum. Send me an email blackswan03@outlook.com and I'll pass on his contact details. I'll also mention to him about making a video on the different woods used in making snooker cue shafts with reference to their pros and cons.

Comment

Cue Guru 001 is owned by TSF member " perpetualboredom " and the only Oak cue I have seen was made by Coutts for another member " pete147 " , although I am not sure that he still has it.

Comment

Working...
                              X