Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Hand Made' Cues - Do they have any inherent value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was there in the 80's and bought a hand spliced Powerglide Rex Williams endorsed ash cue in 1984, the splices were not even and it didn't make me play like Stephen Hendry. Hendry's superior Powerglide was bent as well, so much for air dried timber, still moving even after being made into a cue, not sealed correctly at the factory ? who knows, certainly one that got away from the QC dept, or maybe Hendry didn't look after it.

As for JP Ultimates, he chooses timber with very tight straight grain, it's rare, out of thirty shafts that I have ready only two have tight straight grain all the way from butt to tip. It's tight straight grain that makes a more responsive shaft, JP knows this as do most good makers, and it's this timber that has a premium on it and a long waiting list.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      I was there in the 80's and bought a hand spliced Powerglide Rex Williams endorsed ash cue in 1984, the splices were not even and it didn't make me play like Stephen Hendry. Hendry's superior Powerglide was bent as well, so much for air dried timber, still moving even after being made into a cue, not sealed correctly at the factory ? who knows, certainly one that got away from the QC dept, or maybe Hendry didn't look after it.

As for JP Ultimates, he chooses timber with very tight straight grain, it's rare, out of thirty shafts that I have ready only two have tight straight grain all the way from butt to tip. It's tight straight grain that makes a more responsive shaft, JP knows this as do most good makers, and it's this timber that has a premium on it and a long waiting list.
      Getting straight grain from tip to butt must be rare. I would think most makers would go for the 3/4 cue as they can get straight grain in the shaft end and just turn a butt separately, that way you have tight grain, solid butt but maybe not as much feedback as the ash doesn't run to the end.

In the 80's, I had a Riley Steve Davis in maple which I played with and had a Burwatt Champion which I left on the boot of my car until it warped; shows what I knew!!
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
        Yeah it always annoys me when someone smashes their cue around and bends it over a table whilst I'm thinking that bit of wood could be a couple of hundred years old, been given the love and care of a craftsman and now in the hands of someone who totally doesn't appreciate what it took to get it to them!
        Yeah. Absolutely agree with you. They are a disgrace to any sport. They should break their own arms, eyes and brains because its their own fault and not the cue's problem. Boils me up too to see it anywhere and blaming everything else but themselves.

Comment

AFAIK Stephen Hendry's cue was in a display case with a bright, hot light in it for a long time, it was this heat that warped the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by winphenom View Post
            Yeah. Absolutely agree with you. They are a disgrace to any sport. They should break their own arms, eyes and brains because its their own fault and not the cue's problem. Boils me up too to see it anywhere and blaming everything else but themselves.
            Yeah I've gotta stop doing it

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post

Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

You obviously don't know much about Powerglide because Hendry's cue was maple, not AD ash! Their maple of choice was Canadian rock though I forget if it was Black or Sugar maple or if they used both. It left the factory straight and bent under hot lights in a display case as Jonny points out.

@win and shockz; I've blamed a tip before but rarely a cue unless it's simply the wrong cue for me. This happened a few years ago when I bought a hammer of a Thai cue. Very well made but the feedback was clunky. Once I shifted back to AD, the shaft of my youth, problem solved. I've got no excuses now! Particularly as the tip is like a BD of old.
              Last edited by Big Splash!; 3 August 2016, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

You obviously don't know much about Powerglide because Hendry's cue was maple, not AD ash! Their maple of choice was Canadian rock though I forget if it was Black or Sugar maple or if they used both. It left the factory straight and bent under hot lights in a display case as Jonny points out.

@win and shockz; I've blamed a tip before but rarely a cue unless it's simply the wrong cue for me. This happened a few years ago when I bought a hammer of a Thai cue. Very well made but the feedback was clunky. Once I shifted back to AD, the shaft of my youth, problem solved. I've got no excuses now! Particularly as the tip is like a BD of old.
                I like an excuse. If everything is perfect then it must be me, we can't have that now can we?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  AFAIK Stephen Hendry's cue was in a display case with a bright, hot light in it for a long time, it was this heat that warped the cue.
                  I believe it was bent a bit when he was using it, before said display case
                  he seemed to do relatively ok with it - it is always what works for you and what you get used to
                  air dried or kiln dried - if the cue works for you it works; if it doesn't, it doesn't
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    he seemed to do relatively ok with it - it is always what works for you and what you get used to
                    air dried or kiln dried - if the cue works for you it works; if it doesn't, it doesn't
                    I think you mean bent after said case! But I heard it warped in the case. If it warped more afterwards, fair dos.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      Err you got mixed up there Dean, it got bent in the display case in a club BEFORE he bought it

Comment

• ah, ok, I thought you were saying it was in a display case AFTER his career.
                        I read it wrong soz so, yes, it was bent when he was using it.

so do we now have a new category: air-dried, kiln dried and DCD - Display Case dried :wink:

FACT!
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          ah, ok, I thought you were saying it was in a display case AFTER his career.
                          I read it wrong soz so, yes, it was bent when he was using it.

so do we now have a new category: air-dried, kiln dried and DCD - Display Case dried :wink:

FACT!
                          I can't understand why he didn't get it straightened tho?
                          My mate straightens cues within 3 minutes ☺
                          Fact ! 😅

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            I can't understand why he didn't get it straightened tho?
                            My mate straightens cues within 3 minutes ☺
                            Fact ! ��
                            I'd be frightened to touch it if I was at his level!

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                              Domonic Dale on you tube somewhere said he spoke to Hendry about that cue. Stephens dad bought it for him for I think Domonic said £40. Stephen said he just picked the prettiest one in the case at the club he played at. Apparently that case was lit up with a bulb at the top and the cue had been on show for quite a while that's why it had a bit of a warp.
                              [QUOTE]

Comment

• Well that's cleared that up.

Comment

Working...
                                X