No announcement yet.

ash or maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi adr have u got any cues at the moment with perfect splicing for around £200-ie 17.5 0z 57.5 0z 9mm tipby any of the cue makers mentioned in previous post -to that spec-as new if pos?

Comment

Has a Pool player I tried Maple for a little whille out of season.
      But never quite got the feel for it and went back to ash.

All a matter of taste i guess

Just sold this one piece cue in Maple, Nice bit of tulip wood

Comment

SLG1972

Perfect splicing and one of the best looking shafts I have seen

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180183807372

Comment

Luv them long splices.

Comment

ash v maple = personal choice

http://www.handmadecues.com/home/24-ashormaple.htm

but in my opinion, ash is king.

give me the choice and i would never make another maple cue. i don't like 'em!

i've also lost count of the number of people who have said 'i fancy trying a maple cue' but end up hating it and going back to ash.

but unfortunately, it's just one of those things you need to try for yourself if you have that niggling desire to be a poof....
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by slg1972
              hi adr have u got any cues at the moment with perfect splicing for around £200-ie 17.5 0z 57.5 0z 9mm tipby any of the cue makers mentioned in previous post -to that spec-as new if pos?
              not at that spec - PM trevor i know he has a few cancelled orders but i suspect the price might be a little more. - i could arrange a mastercue at that spec though well within budget.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

hi adr
                thanks for that do you know if trev has that required spec-at the moment-had a mastercue before ok -but would prefer a trev cue as never had one before- budget flexible

Comment

hi bitter
                  thanks for that it looks a nice cue have u got my spec -17.05 0z-9ml tip 57.5 as standard -theres 2 cues -on the website -plain ebony butt and one with red veeeners -- -have they both got perfect splicing -thanks slg1972

Comment

Originally Posted by slg1972
                    hi adr
                    thanks for that do you know if trev has that required spec-at the moment-had a mastercue before ok -but would prefer a trev cue as never had one before- budget flexible
                    i believe he may have he mentioned something like that the other day - pm or page him trevs1
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

The unique is 57 long 18oz tip is 9.5mm

All my current stock is 18 1/2-21oz, our cues tend to come out like that.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikewooldridge
                        ash v maple = personal choice

http://www.handmadecues.com/home/24-ashormaple.htm

but in my opinion, ash is king.

give me the choice and i would never make another maple cue. i don't like 'em!

i've also lost count of the number of people who have said 'i fancy trying a maple cue' but end up hating it and going back to ash.

but unfortunately, it's just one of those things you need to try for yourself if you have that niggling desire to be a poof....
                        Totally agree. If you're new to the game then there isn't much between the two woods. However if you started out using one or the other, chances are if you revert from ash to maple or vice versa you will go back to your original choice.

The two woods do play very differently from each other, despite what some people will tell you. You do have to try it for yourself though to understand this point.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman
                          Totally agree. If you're new to the game then there isn't much between the two woods. However if you started out using one or the other, chances are if you revert from ash to maple or vice versa you will go back to your original choice.

The two woods do play very differently from each other, despite what some people will tell you. You do have to try it for yourself though to understand this point.

I don't know if I'd say they play differently, as there are numerous factors at play in determining how any individual cue performs. Fantastic cues can be had in either timber, with one cue having no real advantage over another.
                          As has been stated in this thread, it's preference and nothing more than that.

Personally, I'd also choose ash above maple, although this is purely preference and is not due to me thinking it's superior to maple.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1
                            I don't know if I'd say they play differently, as there are numerous factors at play in determining how any individual cue performs. Fantastic cues can be had in either timber, with one cue having no real advantage over another.
                            As has been stated in this thread, it's preference and nothing more than that.

Personally, I'd also choose ash above maple, although this is purely preference and is not due to me thinking it's superior to maple.
                            totally agree in principle, and that's exactly what i say to people myself.

it is a preference thing and you should not be swayed by another's opinion. if you like maple then maple is fine.

however, in my experience i have never got the same 'feel' from a maple cue. but that could just come down to way i hit the ball etc.. someone else may get exactly the 'feel' they are looking for in maple.

and good luck to them. i'm sticking with ash!
                            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Working...
                            X