Break cue (8 ball)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    moving with the times i guess. i wasnt apposed to world rules but am happy to move to blackball rules, plus the higher local and national standard tournys all seem to be about BB rules now..... also now national 7's (interleague) are playing to BB rules so it gets us back involved with that too.
    Never been a fan of the DF in world rules or two shots carry on a 6x3. BB sounds interesting. I think we tried it once. Glad it's really taken off.

Comment

Had a look cheers but it doesnt tell me a lot about the cue, i'm going to buy some bits to convert/fix this old one piece and use it as a break cue see how i get on... one thing i did notice is that he sets the white up on the baulk line and cues the ball with his hand on the cushion, this is were i struggle with such a distance between my bridge hand and the cue ball, i set the white up about half way between the cushion and baulk line... perhaps this is something i need to practice too although i lose accuracy this way.

moving with the times i guess. i wasnt apposed to world rules but am happy to move to blackball rules, plus the higher local and national standard tournys all seem to be about BB rules now..... also now national 7's (interleague) are playing to BB rules so it gets us back involved with that too.
      From what you say I think it's more technique than anything else if your worried about losing accuracy on the break.

Comment

Had to convert to world rules about 6 months ago, losing a lot more games than I used to, in BB you don't even consider the deliberate foul as an option so it's sometimes difficult to spot a good one when your still getting used to the rules, BB far superior IMHO

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
          Never been a fan of the DF in world rules or two shots carry on a 6x3. BB sounds interesting. I think we tried it once. Glad it's really taken off.
          i've only really had one practice session with BB rules but like them so far. not everybody is a fan, but i think that is more down to not liking change, its only a local town with 3 leagues and quite a few old fashioned village pubs, but i think they are the better rules for every skill level .
          http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

i've only really had one practice session with BB rules but like them so far. not everybody is a fan, but i think that is more down to not liking change, its only a local town with 3 leagues and quite a few old fashioned village pubs, but i think they are the better rules for every skill level .
            I like the idea of the skill shot. Pot the opponents ball and your own ball and it's not a foul. This is a great way to free a pocket and get the game moving on. The other thing I like is one free shot (pot any ball except black) then normal visit, that can also free a pocket and cut out the DF as I can now pot your ball or put your ball on a cushion in revenge with my first shot. 2 shots carry is pansy. And I like that you can take ball in hand, put it in the D and shoot from there after a foul or leave it where it is: that'll make a player think twice about a DF! The EPA has raged a daft war on world rules/BAPTO: glad to see they are losing. I prefer old rules to EPA rules. Anything that cuts down on a DF is good. Our leagues are EPA, so hopefully, this will change in the years ahead and we can have world rules instead.

Comment

I like the idea of the skill shot. Pot the opponents ball and your own ball and it's not a foul. This is a great way to free a pocket and get the game moving on. The other thing I like is one free shot (pot any ball except black) then normal visit, that can also free a pocket and cut out the DF as I can now pot your ball or put your ball on a cushion in revenge with my first shot. 2 shots carry is pansy. And I like that you can take ball in hand, put it in the D and shoot from there after a foul or leave it where it is: that'll make a player think twice about a DF! The EPA has raged a daft war on world rules/BAPTO: glad to see they are losing. I prefer old rules to EPA rules. Anything that cuts down on a DF is good. Our leagues are EPA, so hopefully, this will change in the years ahead and we can have world rules instead.
              There is no D now. It's anywhere behind the baulkline. Blackball rules all the way for me. :snooker:

Comment

The EPA are world rules.

Comment

I like these rules as well( don't know who's who with governing bodies) watched a bit of a black ball rules comp in the club one Sunday ( think it was inter county) it seemed to stop a lot of the cover the bag stuff, which stopped the game getting too bogged down.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Homer View Post
                    The EPA are world rules.
                    All these different pool game rules and various bodies; very confusing at times. It took a while to complete a frame and you'd get a lot of tucking up, but old rules where great. Snooker someone, one shot carry after the free shot which was a free ball as well where you could pot the opponents ball and clear a pocket. A DF was punishable by loss of frame I think? We didn't have to hit a cushion or pot a ball with every shot. Things were a lot simpler. I've just looked at the EPA website for so-called 'world' rules, even though the EPA only governs England. There are a thousand standard, non-standard and serious fouls. How are blokes down the pub who don't play league meant to remember all that when they only have the occasional game?

Comment

All these different pool game rules and various bodies; very confusing at times. It took a while to complete a frame and you'd get a lot of tucking up, but old rules where great. Snooker someone, one shot carry after the free shot which was a free ball as well where you could pot the opponents ball and clear a pocket. A DF was punishable by loss of frame I think? We didn't have to hit a cushion or pot a ball with every shot. Things were a lot simpler. I've just looked at the EPA website for so-called 'world' rules, even though the EPA only governs England. There are a thousand standard, non-standard and serious fouls. How are blokes down the pub who don't play league meant to remember all that when they only have the occasional game?
                      In old rules the 2 shots did carry.
                      Stick to what you do best......spoiling this Forum with waffle and BS.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        I like these rules as well( don't know who's who with governing bodies) watched a bit of a black ball rules comp in the club one Sunday ( think it was inter county) it seemed to stop a lot of the cover the bag stuff, which stopped the game getting too bogged down.
                        Get over to the pool forum itsnoteasy lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Homer View Post
                          In old rules the 2 shots did carry.
                          Stick to what you do best......spoiling this Forum with waffle and BS.
                          Wrong, not in our local league back in the day. It was only one shot carry, first shot a free ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                            There is no D now. It's anywhere behind the baulkline. Blackball rules all the way for me. :snooker:
                            Where did all the Ds go, who stole them? Police, thief!

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                              Get over to the pool forum itsnoteasy lol
                              I did say watched not played lol, something to do while I finished my drink, nah truth is there were a couple of lads I knew playing and they told me the rules so I was interested in what difference it made.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                                Can't remember make of tip but it's meant to be rock hard. Made for breaking cues I think. Only chatted for a bit about them as was asking him about snooker cues.
                                They guys chalk that tip but it could be phenolic or leather. Is there any chance you could find out please bud?

@Dave Walton, any ideas bud, you're a mine of info.
                                Markz has alrwady answered but yes Martin fits Toam tips now, I think Karl Boyes was selling them at £20 per tip

Comment

Working...
                                X