Wooldridge Blackspin ferrules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    I had been playing with a 'normal' cue for 35 years before I got my first MW and I adjusted within a few minutes with no problem. I can swerve round a ball easier as well. I love the lack of throw and I can cut edge to edge shots easier as well.
    That's good to hear Steve! I'd struggle to get used to it personally, I'm stuck in my ways and too used to allowing for throw but glad to hear it's worked for you. Like I said before, great idea but just not for me.
    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

I have been playing with a MW Black Spin VCM cue for the past 3 years and it definitely throws depending on how much power you use. These composite ferrules are not new, McDermont in the US have been making them for quite some time. Will a BS cue help you play better ? I think not, would I buy another one ? Yes.
      " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Yes if I hit hard with side but a slow strike of the cb it will curve round a object ball but if I hit hard & fast with quick strike with side it will go straight and it is great for playing balls along the cushion from an angle.

Comment

So no throw on "normal shots", but can be generated by striking low with butt raised?

Comment

Yes that is how it is for me.

Comment

Sorry for being thick, are people saying if you put the cue ball on the brown spot and moved the cue parallel to one side of the ball or another and cued through straight the cue ball will travel in a straight line across the blue and black spot and does this work when playing side below centre? Thanks.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Sorry for being thick, are people saying if you put the cue ball on the brown spot and moved the cue parallel to one side of the ball or another and cued through straight the cue ball will travel in a straight line across the blue and black spot and does this work when playing side below centre? Thanks.
                No it won't, it's supposed to decrease the throw not prevent it, nothing can prevent it as you're striking off centre. I've just made a cue with an aluminium ferrule and it doesn't throw as much as brass. I played centre cue ball striking shots really well with it but using side kept jawing them as I wasn't used to less throw and I kept missing very slightly on the thick side.
                If you don't use side then a cue with less throw could help if you don't strike exactly centre ball, but if you do use side then stick to what you're used to.

Comment

Deflection, what you clowns bafflingly call throw, is caused by mass at tip end.

Black spin ferrules are, presumably, plastic and therefore lighter than brass.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                    Deflection, what you clowns bafflingly call throw, is caused by mass at tip end.

Black spin ferrules are, presumably, plastic and therefore lighter than brass.
                    Mr Personality back to full swing i see. And no, they're not plastic.

And if you want bafflement, "Spin" being called "English" with various vague stories as to how it got that name, none of which are particularly convincing. No big intrigue as to why deflection is called throw, because it throws the white off the line of the shot..wasn't too hard a conclusion to reach.
                    Last edited by narl; 16 May 2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      No it won't, it's supposed to decrease the throw not prevent it, nothing can prevent it as you're striking off centre. I've just made a cue with an aluminium ferrule and it doesn't throw as much as brass. I played centre cue ball striking shots really well with it but using side kept jawing them as I wasn't used to less throw and I kept missing very slightly on the thick side.
                      If you don't use side then a cue with less throw could help if you don't strike exactly centre ball, but if you do use side then stick to what you're used to.
                      Cheers Vmax, I thought it could reduce it but some of the posts seemed to say it eliminated it altogether, although if you played with a cue that throws a lot I suppose it could feel like it near enough eliminates it if it reduces it a lot.
                      On the aluminium ferrule,I wonder why that's not more popular, can the walls be thinner than brass but just as strong?
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I'm guessing that it works by being softer, so having a straighter contact ie the part nearer the centre of the White gives a bit more. (I can't help but think of Higgins' body movement as a way to counter throw.)

Once upon a time: brass was considered strong enough, yet soft...?

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        The side will also cause the ball to move the opposite way to the side... (This is why when Breaking, the aim is on\outside centre of the outside ball.)

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                          And if you want bafflement, "Spin" being called "English" with various vague stories as to how it got that name, none of which are particularly convincing. No big intrigue as to why deflection is called throw, because it throws the white off the line of the shot..wasn't too hard a conclusion to reach.
                          Agreed .

Comment

Mr Personality back to full swing i see. And no, they're not plastic.

Right, so what do you lot call throw, then? You know, something most of you appear to not know even exists. Even stephen Hendry is blissfully unaware of it, which is amazing as he's now a pool player. No wonder he's terrible at it!

I would suggest "turning the red over with side" is more vague and unconvincing than calling side english, wouldn't you?

So, what are they made of, Einstein? Metal? Ivory? Diamond?

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                              Right, so what do you lot call throw, then? You know, something most of you appear to not know even exists. Even stephen Hendry is blissfully unaware of it, which is amazing as he's now a pool player. No wonder he's terrible at it!

I would suggest "turning the red over with side" is more vague and unconvincing than calling side english, wouldn't you?

So, what are they made of, Einstein? Metal? Ivory? Diamond?
                              What do we call throw? Uhh...throw? Oddly enough.

"Turning the ball over" has been explained in commentary a lot of times.

I don't know what they're made of and never claimed to, but they're not plastic.

Comment

What do we call throw? Uhh...throw? Oddly enough.

"Turning the ball over" has been explained in commentary a lot of times.

I don't know what they're made of and never claimed to, but they're not plastic.

Lol. Clueless.

And you know snooker is merely one small arm of cue sports, right? You get that, yeah? Bit arrogant to say "it's what we call it", innit? And you don't even know what's being discussed! Priceless lol.

Perhaps you can get Willie thorne to explain it to you. Get him to tell Hendry at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X