No announcement yet.

Base/Original Protective Sealer on Maple Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very known cue maker also says he only uses raw linseed oil on his cues. I have seen one maple one of them. Has white maple with no kine of discoloration.

Comment

A very known cuemaker says he only uses raw linseed oil on his cues and I saw a maple cue of them and it has no kind of discoloration. Looks white maple!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
        Not saying i do'nt agree . especially when it comes to maple .
        But, this picture is one of the Limited Maple cues that my brother got from Ton praram . and not the first Maple shaft i've seen so.
        The color of maple was'nt changed ( as you can see in the picture ), and the cue was Oil finished . NO wax at all.
        May i ask how is this possible? I mean what kind of Oil he has used on this cue ?

Just a question btw , ( It's no criticism ).

[IMG][/IMG]
        No problem Ramon, happy to answer the question. It is not possible to use a natural oil finish that doesn't darken the wood at all. There are a lot of oils out there suitable for finishing cues if mixed in the right blends etc. However they will all give a slight golden hue to the wood after the finish. Even refined linseed which is light in coulour will give a golden tone. Without a before picture of the cue above how do you know it hasn't changed at all? It's possible it hasn't changed much but it will have changed.

Comment

Originally Posted by Reini0100 View Post
          A very known cuemaker says he only uses raw linseed oil on his cues and I saw a maple cue of them and it has no kind of discoloration. Looks white maple!
          Technically there is nothing wrong with using raw linseed oil it just takes forever to dry. And do you know for a fact this well known cue maker uses it on maple cues?

Comment

Yes in my club a guy plays with a maple on of this cuemaker. Thats a fact!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              The advice from cue makers was always never use boiled as it contained artificial driers !
              Because otherwise it never dries, so if you want a sticky cue then go for it.
              Last edited by vmax4steve; 17 February 2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                No problem Ramon, happy to answer the question. It is not possible to use a natural oil finish that doesn't darken the wood at all. There are a lot of oils out there suitable for finishing cues if mixed in the right blends etc. However they will all give a slight golden hue to the wood after the finish. Even refined linseed which is light in colour will give a golden tone. Without a before picture of the cue above how do you know it hasn't changed at all? It's possible it hasn't changed much but it will have changed.
                Exactly, and repeat applications every year to keep the shaft tip top along with its natural patina means the wood will darken even more.

Comment

Next time I make a pic of the cue. Its white only. Whitest maple you have ever seen. Not even a little bit brown. And my cue is brown/yellow.

Comment

Why do you want white maple for anyway ?
                    Looks much better aged

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Why do you want white maple for anyway ?
                      Looks much better aged
                      Same here nothing nicer than a dark aged maple.

Comment

Originally Posted by Reini0100 View Post
                        Yes in my club a guy plays with a maple on of this cuemaker. Thats a fact!
                        Not questioning whether you know someone with said cue, I'm asking whether you know the cuemaker uses linseed on maple cues?

Also have you seen a maple cue unoiled and oiled next to each other? I doubt it, there is a difference whether you agree or don't agree

Comment

I like those maple marks/signs in the middle of the shaft. Can not seen good on brown maple. How can I get out the oil discoloration on my shaft?

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                            No problem Ramon, happy to answer the question. It is not possible to use a natural oil finish that doesn't darken the wood at all. There are a lot of oils out there suitable for finishing cues if mixed in the right blends etc. However they will all give a slight golden hue to the wood after the finish. Even refined linseed which is light in coulour will give a golden tone. Without a before picture of the cue above how do you know it hasn't changed at all? It's possible it hasn't changed much but it will have changed.
                            Thanks Rog ,

Well,here's a picture from the cue (he was made after a while). And honestly, I just can't imagine a maple any whiter than this.
                            I also can show you a video from my brother playing with that cue and you can clearly see that color of maple was'nt changed after he got it .

Take a look at the picture 2 (Mac cue maple shaft made for me by Richy) And compare it with picture number 3 (Niche Ultimate). Actually the same cue with maple shaft ( except diff spcse and diff design). Atsanan made this one for my brother.

take a look at the color difference. We could immediately see that these 2 cues were both Oil finished ( NO WAX AT ALL ). But there was 2 different kind of Oil used.
                            There are some cue makers who are able to finish the maple with Oil without changing the color. Kevin Deroo is also one of them.

I did contact ( while ago ) one of these cue makers cuz I was curious what kind of oil he has used.
                            Unfortunately I got no answer to my question. His answer was, Yes I do use Oil, but it's Defo NOT raw linseed Oil.
                            Which in this case I understand his point of view completely to not answer me. It's part of his job (his secret) and he has the right to give no information related to this issue. ( as you do , btw ).

My best guess is , they use sum kind of polymerized Oil for maple . I may be wrong though !!

As someone who plays with maple for a few years, I prefer to buy the maple which has'nt changed from the color and is white. especially if i have to make this decision online and i do'nt get the chance to try the cue.

This due to 2 reasons :

1-From my experience and from what I've seen so far, white maple is more stiff compared with dark maple ( generaly ). Since Maple is a denser wood from nature (denser compared with ash), that would be a perfect combination to play this game with. ( stifness and density ).
                            of course, has to be said, this is my personal preference.

2- Once the maple is finished and the color has'nt changed, this makes it for me alot easier to see whether i deal with a piece of clean maple (without small arrows, and other stuff ... ..), Or not. ( Again , my personal perference ).

Anyway , It's just my view in regards to this matter . ( hope you do'nt mind )

I also found this website and sum info on it , which i would be glad to hear your opinion with regards to this website ( if u have sum time of crs ).

http://www.woodworkdetails.com/knowledge/finishing

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                              Exactly, and repeat applications every year to keep the shaft tip top along with its natural patina means the wood will darken even more.
                              with raw linseed Oil ?? Agreed , 100 prct.
                              However, once the maple is finished with Oil, I would be the last person on the Earth to treat that piece of wood with Oil again. But, that's just me.

Read the post NR: 43 please.
                              Glad to hear your opinion Vmax .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
                                Could be !!

The honest answer is , I do'nt know.
                                Never used it neither heared of it .

Comment

Working...
                                X