Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a bent cue really make any difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a bent cue really make any difference?

I've been having this debate with a few players I know and it's certainly not an easy one to answer.

If you bring the tip to the cue ball and you know where your hand it, why should anything in between the two make a difference if you don't use the cue shaft for aiming?

I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference but is all this (my cues not straight) really that much of a problem?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Hendry did ok with a bent cue for years.

Comment

If it bothers you get it straightened

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
        Hendry did ok with a bent cue for years.
        Well that's sort of my point really, Readon had one as well and even made a point of rolling it on the table before each match joking that the table must be out.

They both did ok so are we all just making a fuss over nothing?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          If it bothers you get it straightened
          Yeah I understand we can all get them straightened and if it bothers you then why you would want to change it.

But does it really make any difference apart from aesthetics?

Comment

I think it depends on how bent it is, and what direction the bend is in with relation to how you hold the cue. My cue is bent very slightly to the left, I still put unintentional right on the cue ball now and then.

Comment

I reckon it depends where and how bent it is. I mean i think technically if you can hit the middle of the ball with your tip then perhaps it shouldn't really matter.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                I think it depends on how bent it is, and what direction the bend is in with relation to how you hold the cue. My cue is bent very slightly to the left, I still put unintentional right on the cue ball now and then.
                I wonder what Reardon and Hendry did to overcome any bend in the cue or weather they just carried on without giving it any allowances.

Comment

Aye if bent up or down you can adjust for it, but if side to side then would be difficult i would say

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                    I reckon it depends where and how bent it is. I mean i think technically if you can hit the middle of the ball with your tip then perhaps it shouldn't really matter.
                    That's the point really, does what's behind the tip make a difference if you hit the cue ball in the centre........

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Aye if bent up or down you can adjust for it, but if side to side then would be difficult i would say
                      It would be interesting to try some straight cueing exercises with a cue that is bent left or right to prove or disprove it.

Comment

https://youtu.be/VKZSXBQ9qxs

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                          I wonder what Reardon and Hendry did to overcome any bend in the cue or weather they just carried on without giving it any allowances.
                          I imagine as they owned the cue from new when it was originally straight, I think as the cue moved, they simply compensated and learned to play with it.

I had a 1pc Parris that I used from new for over 15 years and over time it bent about 7 inches from the tip end but it bent downwards from where I gripped it so I was always playing slightly below centre ball.

There was always one shot I struggled with it though, a stun run through.

When I eventually replaced the cue I had to learn how to cue with a straight cue as you get into bad habits of compensating for a bent cue. So for that reason I'd say a bent cue does make a difference and its not a good idea to play with one over a long period of time because if you have to change it, adapting to a straight cue will be tough.

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                            Obviously a point of no return, good video!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                              I imagine as they owned the cue from new when it was originally straight, I think as the cue moved, they simply compensated and learned to play with it.
                              Not so sure, I think Hendry's was bent from the start (correct me if that's not the case) as warped in a display case with a light on it. Don't know about Reardons.

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                              When I eventually replaced the cue I had to learn how to cue with a straight cue as you get into bad habits of compensating for a bent cue. So for that reason I'd say a bent cue does make a difference and its not a good idea to play with one over a long period of time because if you have to change it, adapting to a straight cue will be tough.
                              I can see your point there; it's hard enough getting used to a new cue anyway as they are all different.

Comment

Working...
                              X