1 pc to 3/4 advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 pc to 3/4 advice

Hi folks. Apologies if this has been discussed at length already..

I have a 1pc praram cue atm which I love. Carrying and storage ain't easy though and can't afford a decent case so thinking of getting a joint fitted to take it to 3/4 so I can carry easy and use my old case etc.

Has anyone done this? Does it change the feel and striking much? Just really don't want to spoil something great but getting this cue around is such hard work!

I think you should leave it as it is

Comment

Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post
      Hi folks. Apologies if this has been discussed at length already..

I have a 1pc praram cue atm which I love. Carrying and storage ain't easy though and can't afford a decent case so thinking of getting a joint fitted to take it to 3/4 so I can carry easy and use my old case etc.

Has anyone done this? Does it change the feel and striking much? Just really don't want to spoil something great but getting this cue around is such hard work!
      You have answered the question yourself about the cue - you love it ...Yes altering it will destroy the feel of the cue completely along with the value - leave it alone this really is a non starter
      Last edited by Byrom; 14 April 2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

cases can be had for not a lot of money, how much does fitting a joint cost?

Comment

Speak to ADR147 on here , he does a one piece leather case for £95 .
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Think you're right guys, in which case I have a couple of vacuum joints to sell on if anyone is interested.

I was quoted £20 not long ago by Bob Akre if I took along my own joint. He's stopped buying them!

Comment

I have had it done on an old cure of mine.... About 30th plus ago and will change the feel of the cue.
              You may not get on with it after..
              Which happened to a friend of mine, so made him a copy of it without the joint..
              For that one you've always wanted...
              https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                You have answered the question yourself about the cue - you love it ...Yes altering it will destroy the feel of the cue completely along with the value - leave it alone this really is a non starter
                Didn't seem to affect Steve Davis any in the 80's. I honestly think the effects of jointing a cue are totally overblown.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                  Didn't seem to affect Steve Davis any in the 80's. I honestly think the effects of jointing a cue are totally overblown.
                  agree, get it done no sweat, just get a good joint, if bob dont do the acrylic joints anymore andy travis will sort you out

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                    agree, get it done no sweat, just get a good joint, if bob dont do the acrylic joints anymore andy travis will sort you out
                    You both are happy with yours but not everyone is the same....
                    I was happy when I got mine done but folks me a little while to get use to the weight change.
                    Some will get on with it no problem but fire some it changes the cue to much for them but you will not know until you've done it.

Comment

I've got in touch with Andy via fb so will see what joints he has. Agree I would struggle with any weight change and/or length difference. May have to get another cue if it's that big an issue!

Anyone selling a cheap 1pc case? (£30-40)

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
                        You both are happy with yours but not everyone is the same....
                        I was happy when I got mine done but folks me a little while to get use to the weight change.
                        Some will get on with it no problem but fire some it changes the cue to much for them but you will not know until you've done it.
                        he wants to do it, just do it, stop the negativity can do vs cant do

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                          he wants to do it, just do it, stop the negativity can do vs cant do
                          I'm trying to give both sides....
                          Think you missed the bit where I said I was happy with mine....
                          Wasn't for or against...
                          I will say good luck and good your happy with it after.

Comment

Thanks. I'll be honest I've swung both ways following responses but I've seen some of the work Andy Travis does online and the testimonials so believe if I was to get one fitted, he'd be amongst the best men for the job.

Have had a quick convo with him. Acrylic joint being added, he will keep the weight the same and cut down what's needed to keep the length the same also.

Cheers to you all and esp the gent who recommended him. Not sure if i should divulge prices but will keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Comment

Don't do it - buy another cue - it will ruin the balance and the feel and the value of the cue and if you like/love the cue as it is then ask yourself this - why risk it?
                              Everyone is different and I respect the views of narl and golferson but they might use 3 quarter themselves I do not know their reasoning - but the majority of people who love a one piece cue would not do this to their beloved 1 pc cue.

,,,,,,If you go ahead then - cut n paste this and add it when you next post the result - I told you so

And Steve Davis changed back to a one piece - snooker players had a fad in the 80's of getting cues jointed. Same as the fad with the over hanging tips.... just a fad - if you like something is it really worth the risk?
                              Last edited by Byrom; 14 April 2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X