Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is an Ultimate Cue not an Ultimate Cue??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is an Ultimate Cue not an Ultimate Cue??

Greetings Boys and Girls,

Ask most snooker fans about an Ultimate cue and they will probably reply along the lines of " sure, your talking about John Parris's top of the range cue, 2 year + waiting list, highly sought after, collectible, incredible re sale etc etc etc "

Well, last month I test played 8 brand new Ultimate 1 piece cues and guess what, they were all completely underwhelming !!!!!!

Let me explain, these were not JP Ultimates, these were Omin Ultimates and I was at Omin's factory in Bangkok.

For several years now I had heard that Omin cues where superb, people I new talked about people who talked about people they knew who said these cues were so superb etc etc, you know, a 20 break player becomes a 60 break player overnight ( why am I thinking of Mike Wooldridge right now ?? ah , yes I own one of his VCM Black Spin cues and I am still a 30 break player LOL ).

So, on my last visit to the Land of Smiles I spent 4 hours return drive time from downtown Bangkok to visit Omin, I didn't get to met him but his assistants were very helpful, they even brought out 12 or so dyed shafts that they assured me were Ultimate shafts.

For the novices the caveat here is that Omin now ads a smaller elongated Ultimate badge below his normal circular badge, meaning ??
    I have no doubt that if I had purchased a bottom of the range Omin cue I could have had an Ultimate badge fitted for a fee of course.

At the end of my visit out of curiosity I asked what delivery to Australia would cost, the female assistant consulted her chart, looked me in the eyes and advised it would be US $150.00.

By comparison Mastercue who is about an hour drive out of BKK had just recently charged me US $45.00 for a cue delivery, my thoughts, what a F.....g rip off Mr Omin.

I believe that in Asia Omin is regarded as some sort of Cue Guru... but I have been to source and it is all " underwhelming ".

So, may I suggest that if you are lusting after an Omin cue, then do not buy until you have tried the actual cue or just flush the idea down the toilet.
    " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Really interesting..I have a good mate that swears by Omin - but not the ultimate - just the run-of the-mill stuff. I haven't personally played with the cue, but it's pretty to look at with fancy butterfly splicing etc

Comment

Yes the finish of the cues I tested was very good, the playability was very average though, not one of the cues I tested wanted me to try it more, not one told me I must have it and that is what I was hoping would happen.
      I forgot to add that Mr Omin wanted 20,000 Baht for each of his Ultimate cues, which is approximately US $580.00, pretty much bang on what you would have to pay for a JP Ultimate.
      " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Interesting take on O'min. Never owned or played with one but have always been intrigued. Have had a brilliant Mastercue previously though.

Also, JP Ultimates don't cost $580

Comment

Yeah JP Ultimates would be more than double that !
          And playability is different to every person
          Last edited by jrc750; 2 May 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X