No announcement yet.

Any snooker/players had any experience playing with a hickory shaft cue please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any snooker/players had any experience playing with a hickory shaft cue please

Hi guys ,

Has any one had any experience playing with a hickory shaft snooker pool cue please and if so could you let me know your thoughts ive googled with no joy thanks in advance.

Hi,

Last one I played with, played lovely.
    Would say, just like maple, ash or like my beech cue, it can depend on the wood.
    Seen some ash cue that were very wippy but could have another cue that was the same dimensions but be stiffer..
    For that one you've always wanted...
    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Can i ask would you.know why hickory isnt more popular with cue makers ive not.come across many my self

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
        Hi,

Last one I played with, played lovely.
        Would say, just like maple, ash or like my beech cue, it can depend on the wood.
        Seen some ash cue that were very wippy but could have another cue that was the same dimensions but be stiffer..
        Agree! Hickory does play well.
        My Hickory shaft is for an American pool cue so its function differs to that of a Snooker shaft.
        None the less, if you can pick one up or thinking about it; I say go for it! :snooker:
        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
        National Snooker Expo
        25-27 October 2019
        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I have two atm , one 3/4 and a one piece , solid hit through the ball . I have also had a one piece Tony Glover , Hickory and that was the same , amazingly smooth , close grained and solid through the ball , but unforgiving when you play with a lot of side . I have to say that you can get away with a much slimmer taper to the cue when using Hickory as the shaft wood , so if you like slim cues its a good alternative . No idea why , apart from cost i.e much more expensive for a good piece of Hickory over Ash and Maple , that it is not used more often . Tony really rates it as a playing cue material , but it is unforgiving if you are not cueing straight.

Comment

Originally Posted by justin-swansea View Post
            Can i ask would you.know why hickory isnt more popular with cue makers ive not.come across many my self
            Years ago, there was a lot more options when it came to cue shafts but for some reason.. Not sure why, it has come down to mainly ash or maple but some makers are using some of the timbers that were used before.

Like I've said, the cue it my profile pic has a beech shaft and others have done pear, which use to be very popular.

Will be trying oak and cherry at some point too.
            There are a good few more times that we used.
            For that one you've always wanted...
            https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
            X