Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you use 0000 grit steel wool to clean your cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
    I use this:

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/fiddes-wax

I went on a search a year ago and decided that any expert with wood furniture would know how to look after quality wood and therefore I decided to try a furniture wax.
    Hopefully Ninja will see this, as I'm sure that is his background....

I like the Sanman's idea of Meguirs, but there's something about using a car product that makes me feel uncomfortable. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to look after wood and different finishes you get with different oils and waxes - you could probably use any of them I guess.
    You do mean Carnauba?

I'm also trying out Tru-oil on the butt of the cues I have - looks to give a nice shine and gloss, once waxed.
    Oil and wax, or did you mean to type buffed instead of waxed?

Comment

I use this:

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/fiddes-wax

I went on a search a year ago and decided that any expert with wood furniture would know how to look after quality wood and therefore I decided to try a furniture wax.

I like the Sanman's idea of Meguirs, but there's something about using a car product that makes me feel uncomfortable. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to look after wood and different finishes you get with different oils and waxes - you could probably use any of them I guess.

I'm also trying out Tru-oil on the butt of the cues I have - looks to give a nice shine and gloss, once waxed.
      I agree as regards the waxes as most are derived from a natural product and then a little extra added, whatever takes your fancy.

I bought some tru oil ages ago and just haven't gotten around to using it.

Are you saying you don't get a good shine with tru oil with several coats before you wax it?

Hopefully, Tru oil should give you a decent deep shine on it's own. Like all the oils, I like to see how it dries and does it get really tarnished when you put some sweaty hands on it.

If it does tarnish with the greases from your hand, what's the best way to get it out easily and restore the shine.

These are the questions I'm playing with when testing oils.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Not sure which Meguirs wax - think Shockerz may have the same one in his video or something similar.

I tried Tru-oil on gently sanded wood but now think it's better to wax the cue as I would the shaft, and then add 2-3 very vey thin coats of the Tru-oil - this gives it a more glossy shine

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
          I agree as regards the waxes as most are derived from a natural product and then a little extra added, whatever takes your fancy.

I bought some tru oil ages ago and just haven't gotten around to using it.

Are you saying you don't get a good shine with tru oil with several coats before you wax it?

Hopefully, Tru oil should give you a decent deep shine on it's own. Like all the oils, I like to see how it dries and does it get really tarnished when you put some sweaty hands on it.

If it does tarnish with the greases from your hand, what's the best way to get it out easily and restore the shine.

These are the questions I'm playing with when testing oils.
          Tru-oil is great, but when I tried it on an already waxed butt, it looked like glass - that's how amazing the gloss was. I'm sure it's good enough on in it's own right, but I like the idea of using a French Polisher's wax - tried and tested - and then coating it with a less natural substance

Comment

...just to note...I'm no expert or professional...just an enthusiast and now a cue collector!

PS - to keep the gloss and shine - I just buff with a soft cloth after I play a session

Comment

Tru-oil is great, but when I tried it on an already waxed butt, it looked like glass - that's how amazing the gloss was. I'm sure it's good enough on in it's own right, but I like the idea of using a French Polisher's wax - tried and tested - and then coating it with a less natural substance
              Interesting to do it this way round.

So, wax first, then Tru oil, then French polisher's wax.

I'm always interested to see how products shine and then stand up to the oils and greases from hands.

Comment

Do you mean this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birchwood-C...9155904&sr=8-1 ?

If so, they do a wax https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birchwood-C...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I'm struggling with the wax and oil together....

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  Interesting to do it this way round.

So, wax first, then Tru oil, then French polisher's wax.

I'm always interested to see how products shine and then stand up to the oils and greases from hands.
                  I thought no wax on top: wax on wood then oil on wax.

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                    I thought no wax on top: wax on wood then oil on wax.
                    I thought it started with an already waxed butt, then Tru Oil, then the french polisher's wax?

Might be wring though, it won't be the first time!

Comment

Tru-oil is great,

but when I tried it on an already waxed butt, it looked like glass - that's how amazing the gloss was.

I'm sure it's good enough on in it's own right,

but I like the idea of using a French Polisher's wax - tried and tested - and then coating it with a less natural substance
                      That's how I read it: ie oil on wax - and the oil on it's own may be good enough...

Amazon Reviews go on about a satin, not gloss finish from just the Oil, if that helps.

Comment

That's how I read it: ie oil on wax - and the oil on it's own may be good enough...

Amazon Reviews go on about a satin, not gloss finish from just the Oil, if that helps.
                        I'm messing around with a lot of oils and waxes at the minute.

Trying to learn as much as possible as will probably make a wooden cue case soon as not done one.

Obviously I'll do an entirely different sort of finish but it's all related.

Comment

I'm so sorry if I'm confusing everyone!

I meant I use the Fiddes Wax first, then on just the butt I use a couple of coats of Tru-oil. As this leaves a hardened layer once multiple coats have been added, it ends up looking very glossy.

When I mentioned French Polisher's wax, I was referring to a product like Fiddes wax. There are far more expensive waxes available, but I'm not sure it all makes that much difference. By using the steel wool to essentially clean the shaft and butt prior to waxing, you end up with a silky smooth cue.

Comment

I'm so sorry if I'm confusing everyone!

I meant I use the Fiddes Wax first, then on just the butt I use a couple of coats of Tru-oil. As this leaves a hardened layer once multiple coats have been added, it ends up looking very glossy.

When I mentioned French Polisher's wax, I was referring to a product like Fiddes wax. There are far more expensive waxes available, but I'm not sure it all makes that much difference. By using the steel wool to essentially clean the shaft and butt prior to waxing, you end up with a silky smooth cue.
                            No worries mate.

Just to confirm, you use the Fiddes wax first on the whole cue or just the shaft?

I think what we are surprised is the use of oil on top of wax if this is the case as normally I would remove wax before applying oil, just me though.

Comment

Is the oil supposed to permeate the wax, or sit on it?

Comment

Do you mean this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birchwood-C...9155904&sr=8-1 ?

If so, they do a wax https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birchwood-C...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I'm struggling with the wax and oil together....
                                I put this Tru-oil gun stock oil on top of the Fiddes wax - but only after the wax has dried in and been buffed. It's true that only a tiny bit of oil will remain as the cue has been waxed, but repeated coats in very thin layers gradually builds up the gloss. It isn't glossy after just a single layer

Comment

Working...
                                X