Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you use 0000 grit steel wool to clean your cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, same point as I have just posted re the difference between a Pro and looking after 1 cue - so yes to your point about thinner ie Pro can have a mix made up....

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
      As an aside, I'm watching the MW clip on repairing scratches and he advocates wax on side of tip (but NOT oil)

I've been thinking he is a bit heavy on the paper and wool ie grades: but it is the difference between a Pro using expensive stuff, as buys in bulk as opposed to someone looking after their own cue?
      Just my opinion, but he has far more experience so he can get away with using coarser materials - it's as much how he uses it as well as what he's using. I'd only end up creating a dip in the shaft or something if I followed his video exactly. Also, the grains on an Ash cue are naturally softer than the non-grained parts, so even if you applied the same pressure along the whole of an Ash shaft, I may end up eroding the cue more around the grain and create dips.

I'm sure Ninja/VMax have a better take on such things?

Comment

Yep to his experience and "touch", as well as Ninja\VMax et al....

My new (very old cue) is Greenheart, which seems very soft from the side, so no way am I using wool on it.

Comment

As an aside, I'm watching the MW clip on repairing scratches and he advocates wax on side of tip (but NOT oil)

I've been thinking he is a bit heavy on the paper and wool ie grades: but it is the difference between a Pro using expensive stuff, as buys in bulk as opposed to someone looking after their own cue?
          It's also how you use them I think.

To shape a tip I actually start with 80 grit and skim so the tip doesn't get the full force of the grade of paper.

I guess we all try our own methods until we are completely happy.

I also might use 600 grit on a ferrule which would take brass off but it would normally be well used which makes a difference. and then finish with 0000 grit steel wool; lot's of ways to achieve the same result.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Yep to his experience and "touch", as well as Ninja\VMax et al....

My new (very old cue) is Greenheart, which seems very soft from the side, so no way am I using wool on it.
            Have you ever used 0000 grit steel wool.

It is actually designed for use as follows:

0000 Finest For buffing and cleaning. Buffs woodwork, shellac, lacquer and varnish (use with wax or oil.) Cleans windows without water or cleaners. Remove rust from chrome with kerosene.

I've used it on hundreds of cues along with the various grades of sanding / polishing paper and like them, I think it has a place.

I'm always trying to make sure I try things rather than what I get used to or I might be missing something great!

Comment

Well my pledge didn't last too long

Yep on Ferrule mainly.

Soaked in White spirit and used gently it was OK - gently must be the key and used across the strands.... Aldi's non-scouring sponge\rough white stuff things are OK too.

Not a clue what was on the shaft, but I think they tried to make it look like Maple as colour is coming through really well, which has put the mockers on my plan to use the Craftsman Wax to try and bring some colour out of the shaft.

I'm kinda stuck now re what to do with it, can about to be opened and the football....

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                Have you ever used 0000 grit steel wool.

It is actually designed for use as follows:

0000 Finest For buffing and cleaning. Buffs woodwork, shellac, lacquer and varnish (use with wax or oil.) Cleans windows without water or cleaners. Remove rust from chrome with kerosene.

I've used it on hundreds of cues along with the various grades of sanding / polishing paper and like them, I think it has a place.

I'm always trying to make sure I try things rather than what I get used to or I might be missing something great!
                That's a great philosophy which I share, but it's lead to a flat full of junk too, as I just keep buying and trying different things, lol. I guess I enjoy the experimenting with tips, cues chalk etc as much as the game itself. I know I should just stick to one cue, chalk, tip and focus on the practising, but a part of my motivation is the trying out of new things.

Comment

Just don't go on AlliExpress and order cheap Chinese pressed tips :wink:

I've 3 or 4* sorts you can try out if you want

*one lot are in an Elk box with "Made in USA" on the sticker.....

Comment

Lol, I'm pretty happy with the TS Long Ba you and Ninja suggested so whilst I have a couple more tips I'm trialling, I'd be happy sticking to TS Long Ba if the others don't suit me

Comment

So would I be, if new cue wasn't over 10mm

Comment

So would I be, if new cue wasn't over 10mm
                        What tip size have you got on this cue mate?

Comment

It's 10.8mm, according to shop ie I haven't measured it as don't have the kit, but believable.

Comment

It's 10.8mm, according to shop ie I haven't measured it as don't have the kit, but believable.
                            You're not alone, I've fitted a few 11mm tips this year. People also like them as a crown tip on a 10mm ferrule.

A guy at the club plays with one and can certainly move the ball around as much as any one else.

Comment

Oh, the CB is more lively with this cue, and easier to control - I was forcing with old cue(s) this one that stuff "just happens"....

Comment

Oh, the CB is more lively with this cue, and easier to control - I was forcing with old cue(s) this one that stuff "just happens"....
                                Whatever suits you best.

That's the beauty of the game, we are all after the same thing using different methods.

Unfortunately, not all roads lead to Rome..................been reading too many mind books!

Comment

Working...
                                X