No announcement yet.

Snooker Cue Shaft Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be staying another thread of my cues, when I get round to unloading my pics again...
    For that one you've always wanted...
    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Hi Ninja, I look forward to seeing your thread. Please let me know when you have uploaded some images to it. Thanks Paul

Comment

Hi Paul, I will try to remember but have the memory of a pissed goldfish on a good day and don't have many of them lol.
        It's Colin

Comment

Beech shaft with zebrano butt and ekki splice

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmax4steve/shares/mE0YAw
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
            Hi Paul, I will try to remember but have the memory of a pissed goldfish on a good day and don't have many of them lol.
            It's Colin
            No worries Colin, I'll keep a look out for it. Thanks Paul

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
              Beech shaft with zebrano butt and ekki splice

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmax4steve/shares/mE0YAw
              vmax, that cue is pretty fricking awesome. In terms of playability, how does a beech shaft compare to ash and maple?

Comment

Originally Posted by paul_b View Post
                vmax, that cue is pretty fricking awesome. In terms of playability, how does a beech shaft compare to ash and maple?
                Beech is as good as both. I had a knock with this cue after I made it and made a 72 despite it being too short for me, my own cue is 61 & 1/2 inches long compared to this 57 incher so my action felt quite cramped, but the cues response was as good as anything I've tried.
                I'd recomend a beech shaft to anyone
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Beech is as good as both. I had a knock with this cue after I made it and made a 72 despite it being too short for me, my own cue is 61 & 1/2 inches long compared to this 57 incher so my action felt quite cramped, but the cues response was as good as anything I've tried.
                  I agree with how a beech shaft plays and hope to be pricing one up for someone.

Comment

That is really interesting (to me anyway). Did you choose beech or was the cue made to a customers specification? Also, why do you think that woods other than ash and maple are not used more? Is it down to cost? Or, is it down to the fact that ash and maple are easier to work with? Or, is it down to sustainability? Or, is it a combination of these factors? You can call me weird if you like, but I find this whole subject absolutely fascinating.

Comment

Colin, did you get the pm that I sent you?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by itx View Post
                        Colin, did you get the pm that I sent you?

Thanks.
                        Yes I did and answered it.

Comment

Snooker Cue Shaft Materials

I've just seen it, thanks.

Comment

That is really interesting (to me anyway). Did you choose beech or was the cue made to a customers specification? Also, why do you think that woods other than ash and maple are not used more? Is it down to cost? Or, is it down to the fact that ash and maple are easier to work with? Or, is it down to sustainability? Or, is it a combination of these factors? You can call me weird if you like, but I find this whole subject absolutely fascinating.
                            I chose beech as an experiment because a member on the forum (pottr) mentioned that his grandad has a beech cue which intrigued me and it turned out great. I don't make cues to order as the customer is always wrong or picky or a poor player blaming his cue and subsequently me if his game doesn't improve.

Beech is the easiest timber I've worked with, it planes really well without tearing, is really smooth when finished and has a stiffer feel for the same taper than ash or maple so you can taper a tad thinner which suits some players. It's as readily available as ash or maple and cheaper.
                            I've made three beech cues so far and haven't shifted any of them, why ? well all three are out of the norm with beech shafts, none are the usual ebony/rosewood butts and none are badged, yet.

Comment

I chose beech as an experiment because a member on the forum (pottr) mentioned that his grandad has a beech cue which intrigued me and it turned out great. I don't make cues to order as the customer is always wrong or picky or a poor player blaming his cue and subsequently me if his game doesn't improve.

Beech is the easiest timber I've worked with, it planes really well without tearing, is really smooth when finished and has a stiffer feel for the same taper than ash or maple so you can taper a tad thinner which suits some players. It's as readily available as ash or maple and cheaper.
                              I've made three beech cues so far and haven't shifted any of them, why ? well all three are out of the norm with beech shafts, none are the usual ebony/rosewood butts and none are badged, yet.
                              Thank you for your answer. Would it be possible for me to see some pictures of your beech cues?

Comment

Thank you for your answer. Would it be possible for me to see some pictures of your beech cues?
                                one at 57 1/4 inches long-- 17.3 oz's--30mm diameter butt-- 17 inch balance point--9mm ferrule

one at 58 1/2 inches long-- 18 oz's -- 30mm diameter butt -- 18 inch balance point --9.4mm ferrule

both have the same butt design of two long iroko splices, two regular wenge splices and two short amargo amargo splices, both have 6 inch ipe tabaca mini butts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmax4steve/shares/rXw7Q0

Comment

Working...
                                X