No announcement yet.

Cleaning / Shining my ferrule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time I may clean ferrules is when I am retipping.
    I may use a very small piece of brasso wadding when the old tip is off, ensure a some masking tape to protect the shaft. Wipe on and then wipe off many times to ensure no chemical is left, and add the new tip.
    Apart from then, I don't touch them, let them naturally tarnish

I think it is sanman (RSA) who uses soemthign that does prevents the tarnishing.

I don't use any abrasives, however fine (I thought the £20 trick is to burnish the side of the tip, not clean the ferrule probably wont work with the plastic ones coming in a few years ).
    See the image below, this is done by using a scotch cloth! Bras is very soft and wears away easily if mistreated
    My fried used to use it to clean the shaft down, not even to polish the ferrule but after every pool frame he would wipe the cue down with the green scotchcloth. the brass was so thin you could see the wood tenon showing through in places. Needless to say I told him the error of his ways and he no longer does this
    second photo is after I sent it to Andy Travis, luckily no much shaft length was lost

my photo upload

my photo upload
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      The only time I may clean ferrules is when I am retipping.
      I may use a very small piece of brasso wadding when the old tip is off, ensure a some masking tape to protect the shaft. Wipe on and then wipe off many times to ensure no chemical is left, and add the new tip.

my photo upload
      I also only clean the ferrule generally when the tip is off. I use a bit of 0000 grit steel wool and clean from the top so's not to go all over the shaft.

Dean - would you mind If I add the worn ferrule pic to my collection as I would like to do a rogue's gallery at some point!

If anyone else has pictures of poor tipping, ferrules then I'd love a copy (can send via my contact page on the website link below or post in the facebook "The Snooker Crazy Group" page if you have time.

Click here
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

of course I don't mind (not my thread ) but pleased don't link to FaceTwit, not everyone does these and wont see the photo

Comment

of course I don't mind (not my thread ) but pleased don't link to FaceTwit, not everyone does these and wont see the photo
          Thanks Dean.

Nah, I was just giving 2 ways to get the photos to me. Some people find it easier tk send from their mobile to Facebook. From there I'll collect and post on website (might take a while to get enough poor examples).

Comment

I'll have a root around as I think I have a couple more

Comment

ive repaired a few dodgy ones too! i really should start taking more pictures!

there is one guy i see and his shaft is dark blue from chalk! makes me shudder!
              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
                ive repaired a few dodgy ones too! i really should start taking more pictures!

there is one guy i see and his shaft is dark blue from chalk! makes me shudder!
                I have a friend like that and chalks his cue so much, plus spins his cue as he does it.
                He wears a groove just under the ferrule.
                Had to put new ferrules on 2 cues in the last 3-4 years lol
                For that one you've always wanted...
                https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

There were 2 guys in the club yeaterday hacking away at new tips, I couldn't bear to watch and listen to them blaming everything but themselves.

I took both the cues off them to show them how to change the tip and shape them.

More glue on the ferrule than the tip!

Comment

a cue that has been roughly chalked

Comment

How can anybody be so stupid ??

Comment

Seen a few cues like that (Not as bad). Always wondered what happened now I know!

Comment

Originally Posted by Simon_c View Post
                          Seen a few cues like that (Not as bad). Always wondered what happened now I know!
                          the owner of this one has an old piece of chalk and he spins the cue into the center of the chalk, so the outer edge of the chalk catches the shaft below the ferrule; he has been doing it for years

I have seen other hour-glass ferrule/shaft where it is due to the owner wiping down the shaft by clamping a rough cloth with both hands at the ferrule end and forcing down the shaft; so all the force starts in that little area, no wonder it wears out

Comment

Wow! I never thought that chalk could do this kind of damage.
                            Note to self:- Chalk gently with simple swipes across the tip

Comment

A friend of mine does this and have now worked out what he does...
                              Took me a while...
                              He chalks his cue so much that his hand are green and because he turns the cue, it wears the cue under the ferrule and part of the ferrule too.
                              Looks a lot like the pic...
                              For that one you've always wanted...
                              https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

I used to do that till I realised my ferrule looked like the picture, I filled it with wood filler and sanded it back, then I bought a new cue

Comment

Working...
                                X