Elkmaster Tips. Everyone Using These?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elkmaster Tips. Everyone Using These?

What is everone using for a snooker tip these days, ive always used Elk and like them really hard, so i get a nice crisp sound when i hit a good shot, even been know to put the tip into the microwave oven to dry it out a wee bit.

I wonder what are the various ways to make an elk "harder."

I heard of the microwave method, but the more popular form I knew is soaking it in milk followed by compression. The latter is popular in the Philippines among their American billiard players.

Comment

I just recently got some very old Champion tips. They are very nice. I am not sure if they are being made anymore. I got it from a very old gentleman.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I use Talisman Pro Hard, they are very consisitent & very good aroud the black spot.
        Elkmasters are very incosistent in their quality.
        My deep screw shot
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

http://www.handmadecues.com/extras/20-cuetips.htm
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Mike wooldridge single layer tips are GREAT i wont use anything else
            Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

elk master is a soft tip , then why try to make it hard? If you really want to use a hard tip then go for talisman hard tip or something. Its always best to stick to orignality of the tip rather than trying to change it yourself. The results could be diff every time which is offcourse is bad for ur game. Please correct me if i am wrong
              Last edited by dollarm360; 4 January 2008, 05:06 PM.
              Long Live Ronnie

Comment

well said dollarm360.

if you have to change it then it's not right is it.....
                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Thank you Mike , coming from you just made my day.
                  Long Live Ronnie

Comment

I think most players out there prefer tips they've become used to using, whatever they might be.

Numerous tips have come along over time, with claims of being the best thing ever, but in reality, they are just tips like most others. Some might have the benefit of lasting longer than the next, some may be firmer and some softer than the next, but they still all do the same basic job.

My view on tips is that it is simply not reasonable to say there is one 'best' tip for all players, as so many players like a different feel to their tips. Some will like to play the tip in over a spell, while others will like it to play 'just so' from the word go.

In my opinon, Elkmasters offer unrivalled value for money, as in a box you can normally find tips which are hard or very hard, to tips which are medium firm to soft, to some so soft that they're completely useless. So, with this in mind, you could perhaps argue that an average box of Elkmaster tips will serve the tastes of many various players. Even if it's taken into consideration that you might have to throw away 20% or so of the tips in a box, they'll still work out more cost effective than many other 'apparent' superior brands.

I guess it's like many other factors in cue sports though, if players feel they'll get even the slightest little bit of gain from trying something new which is marketed as 'better', they will give it a go, in search of ANY improvement possible.

To address the OP's question, I would just not bother trying to harden up a tip that is clearly too soft for your own liking, I would just pick one from the box that suits your taste. You can do this by picking up the tip and seeing if you can dig your finger nails into the side wall of the tip, trying to pull the tip apart. If you cannot get your nails into the tip sufficiently, and/or cannot see ANY movement in the tip whatsoever, then it's hard, and will probably feel fine once fitted to the cue and bedded in by compressing with a wooden block, or even a large heavy spoon. Then re-shape the tip to your liking and off you go.

Obviously, others will have they're own way to go about this, and if it works for you, then stick with it.

Comment

Yes i totally agree. i tried for years to make elks and blue diamonds harder only to find there are a lot of different alternatives out there.
                      If you like a hard tip IMOP the talisman Hard are the best, however. if you just like a hard elkmaster then they may be too hard for you and the medium version could be a better choice. There are 2 varieties of these, the pigskin and the buffalo. The pigskin tends to skid a little more than the buffalo due to the texture. If you find these tips a bit expensive i would recommend Triangle tips. they are made by the same company(tweetens) that make Elks, but are harder than Elkmasters, and a little less inconsistent. you might have to get these from internet through an american site though, they are not easy to come by.
                      Like Trev said, there is no right or wrong. World champs have been won with Blue diamond Elkmaster and Talisman so its all about finding out what suits you best.
                      "Don't think, feel"

Comment

I have used Elks for thirty years but over the last ten years or so I think there standard has gone down hill badly, I only play the game for a few hours a week, and nearly once a month I would have to change a tip for either being too hard, too soft or the tip breaking up etc
                        I decided for a change and last month I bought some Mike Wooldridge tips and I cannot believe how good they are, they feel very hard wearing but the feel with the white ball is like no other, I am anoyed that I never changed before. They cost a lot more but who wants a box of 50 cheap Elks and wasting all that time finding a good one, not me
                        My game has improved over night I have not made a hundred break for over three years but over the last few weeks I have had three including a break of 112 snookering myself on the final red
                        Just to finish if I played a lot more and had a little more patience then I would agree with Trevor that there is no better valued tip than the Elk, but It might be my age but I now just want a tip that comes out of the box and plays like I want it too every time.
                        Last edited by Son of Cliff; 5 January 2008, 11:58 AM.
                        Welsh Is Best

Comment

i agree with all and trev offcourse, go with what you like the best. Try a few diff types out till you find the one that you like the best. And please dont microwave ur tips to make it hard lol
                          Long Live Ronnie

Comment

Thank you Trevor for your tips on how to pick a good tip. I love the fel of these Elks but always have problem with them after a week or so. One side will always be lower than the other. after I sand them down to even again, I have very little tip left. Then one side got lowered again, and it is almost touching the ferrule by then. So...very frustration.
                            I have actually tried to use a chemical (made to speed up the drying of super glue) to firm up the side of Elk, and it worked! Unfortunatly, after it stopped mushrooming, it also played like a different tip!
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                            X