Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue warped

Hi,

i picked up my cue again after 3 weeks of being away from the tables due to exams, and i noticed my cue warped.. Only the first 20ish cms, counting from my tip to bottom..

I'm really upset about this. I always am very cautious with my cue, i don't drop it etc, keep it in the same place, so i'm really suprised that this happened to me. I know it's the nature of wood to warp a little, but it's like 2-3 mm off and you can really notice it a lot.

It bothers me awefully cuz always when i'm setting up for a shot, i end up seeing the warp and can't concentrate anymore on my pot and the other basics.

I was talking with a friend in the club and he said that indeed it's pretty weird that it warped like that, he said he could see it too, but that i should just try to get used to it cuz every cue is warped a little bit.

It seems pretty dumb to ask more advice on a messageboard but i'd love to hear some views from you guys as i know there are some top cue builders with years of experiences here.

What are the possibilities to fix the warp? I read that once fixed, it could easily come back because of the 'memory' that wood has or smth like that.

Its a cuecraft, 5months old by the way..

This is a shame, especially at the top end of the cue, which is where it's most noticeable, although.....The bend can be removed very easily.

The problem for you is that you appear to be in Holland, so I can't suggest anywhere for you to take it for a quick fix. It seems your only course of action would be to send it back to the UK to get it sorted, which is not easy or cheap I know.

Once done properly, the cue should probably stay pretty straight, although it can move again in time (nothing to do with any memory the wood has), so it's not something which can be guaranteed for the life of the cue.

Because this has happened, it does not mean the cue is a bad cue or that the timber is poor quality, ALL cues are susceptible to this.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Thanks for the information mate.

So i guess in the end it all comes down between deciding that:

1. this is the cue i'm gonna stick with a lot more years and therefor getting it fixed, keeping in mind that the cue cost me £175, and reparation/transport etc will cost me quite a bit i guess.. Could you give me an idea of what it would cost me to get this fixed trevis?

OR

2. get a new cue and hope that i'll be more 'lucky'

OR

3. get used to playing with the warped cue.. (is this a valid option?)

Thanks, really appreciate any advice.

oh, small edit..is it of any importance that it's machineslided, not any handmade specialty..well, guess you could figure that out already by looking at the price i paid for it. If it would be handmade to my demands, i wouldn't hesitate to get it fixed..Now i'm not sure, i never felt another cue belonging so good to me like this one, and i tried dozens of cues, but it is really worth all the hazzle?
      Last edited by casualties; 25 January 2008, 12:02 AM.

Comment

just curious..... how did you store your cue?

Comment

sorry but i just lol'd at "trevis"
          http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

the cost of the repair will not be great it takes a few minutes its postage that will be expensive - where exactly are you and i will see if there is somebody i know nearby who can help.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

casualties, read this:

http://www.handmadecues.com/info/40-straightcue.htm

understanding the problem may help you feel better about it...
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by casualties View Post
                Hi,

i picked up my cue again after 3 weeks of being away from the tables due to exams, and i noticed my cue warped.. Only the first 20ish cms, counting from my tip to bottom..

I'm really upset about this. I always am very cautious with my cue, i don't drop it etc, keep it in the same place, so i'm really suprised that this happened to me. I know it's the nature of wood to warp a little, but it's like 2-3 mm off and you can really notice it a lot.

It bothers me awefully cuz always when i'm setting up for a shot, i end up seeing the warp and can't concentrate anymore on my pot and the other basics.

I was talking with a friend in the club and he said that indeed it's pretty weird that it warped like that, he said he could see it too, but that i should just try to get used to it cuz every cue is warped a little bit.

It seems pretty dumb to ask more advice on a messageboard but i'd love to hear some views from you guys as i know there are some top cue builders with years of experiences here.

What are the possibilities to fix the warp? I read that once fixed, it could easily come back because of the 'memory' that wood has or smth like that.

Its a cuecraft, 5months old by the way..
                i'm pretty sure van os cues are based in holland or close by.
                try giving them a search on the internet.
                they will fix it for you.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikewooldridge View Post
                  casualties, read this:

http://www.handmadecues.com/info/40-straightcue.htm

understanding the problem may help you feel better about it...
                  great post. thanks Mike

Comment

brought the cue back to the cueshop where i bought mine. They know somebody who can fix it. So it will be straightened. Free of charge!

oh and i'm from Belgium btw, just don't know to change this location? I took netherlands cuz to get rid of the hazzle of registering asap..

Comment

Working...
                    X