Cleaning cue after every session.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning cue after every session.

I have recently aquired a custom made cue, the cuemaker in which i bought it off told me to complete the finish on the cue, I had to apply linseed oil to the shaft every second day for a couple of weeks.

He also told me not to use Sandpaper on the cue, scour pads etc, and also WATER .

DOES THIS MEAN THAT I AM NOT ALLOWED TO USE A SLIGHTLY DAMP CLOTH, AND BUFF DRY IMMEDIATELY ???

Is it ok to clean my cue after every session ?

thankyou very much any help would be very much appreciated.

You've paid for a custom made cue and have been told to finish it youself ...blimey, that hardly seems fair! )

I agree, the use of abrasive pads is definitely not a good idea! However, I don't see any problem using a slightly damp cloth and immediately buffing dry - in fact, some of the top cue makers recommend this method.

As regards to cleaning after every session, it's up to you. I'd say best just to wipe the cue down as and when it's required.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Max; 6 February 2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

yea I agreed with MAX.....not sound too right for a custom made cue....

anyway...I clean my cue with a damp cloth and buff dry it immediately (to avoid any moisture get to the cue) nearly every session to keep my cue clean and smooth since I got a sweaty hand...

Comment

The cue maker said that I needed to COMPLETE the finish, by applying linseed oil to the shaft for a couple of weeks.

Comment

Is it ok to use a beer mat type of towel on a cue ?

Is this an abbrasive ? i was told by my cuemaker only to use t-shirt material (soft cloth) ???

I hope mike or trev would be able to give me an answer

thankyou very much

Comment

I dont know much about cue making, but I wouldnt let the guy who was making my cue tell me what to do!!

I would say, 'do the job or no money!'

Comment

it will be peter hanley!
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker_wiz View Post
                The cue maker said that I needed to COMPLETE the finish, by applying linseed oil to the shaft for a couple of weeks.
                i don't think this should be much of an issue.

from what i read into the situation, i suspect the cue probably IS 'finished', but the addition of a few coats of oil will improve/'complete' it.

i wouldn't worry about it. just oil it and you'll end up with a lovely finish after time.

Originally Posted by snooker_wiz View Post
                Is it ok to use a beer mat type of towel on a cue ?
                Is this an abbrasive ? i was told by my cuemaker only to use t-shirt material (soft cloth) ???
                any soft cloth will do. bar towel fine.
                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

thankyou Mike

Are the Mike Wooldridge Towels are bar mat type ?

Comment

bathroom towel works well.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Is it ok to clean your cue after every 3 - 4 hour session with a slightly damp cloth ?

Comment

yes. just make sure it is damp and not dripping wet. and buff it dry immediately
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Working...
                        X