Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acuerate Cue--> should i buy?

Hi everybody,

I am considering buying an Acuerate cue, can someone just say "YES" this cue really has an effect of minimising unintentional spin, or "NO", it doesn't.

Thank you very much.

You could ask ADR147. He has some strong opinions on them. And he's got one for sale.

Comment

that is true - they are great best cues ever........................... maybe a read around the forum......
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

If I understand it correctly, this cue isn't supposed to minimise unintentional spin. Rather, minimise the unwanted effects of playing with side, namely the cue-ball going in a different direction to the cue. Even those who hate this cue seem to agree that it does achieve this, up to a point.

Comment

yes - its just that it is solving a problem thats not there. as long as a cue will perform the same shot the same way everytime it is not important how much spin it has you will learn to use it.

Comment

I suspect that this cue does in fact reduce unintentional side. I understand that the shaft is virtually parallel along the section that contacts the bridge-hand rather than chamfered like most cues. If your bridge is not symmetrical then the chamfer of the cue will cause its axis to move sideways, toward the flatter side of your bridge. Something a good cue-rest designer would obviously avoid.

Perhaps if you are applying unintentional side, a close examination of your bridge shape will give some positive results. And cue-action of course.
            Last edited by stegorjus; 10 March 2008, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by stegorjus View Post
              I suspect that this cue does in fact reduce unintentional side.
              do you? why?

if you hit the cueball unintentionally on the side you will impart unintentional side on the cueball regardless of the cue taper

I understand that the shaft is virtually parallel along the section that contacts the bridge-hand rather than chamfered like most cues.
              you've either misunderstood or been misinformed. it is not virtually parallel, merely slightly slimmer over the bridge area. so not much different to a normal cue.

in fact, the americans have been messing about with tapers for years. with many of the makers using their 'own' taper.

i myself have done this many times for people who prefer the cue to be slimmer in that area. not cos it makes them a better player, or improves aim etc., but cos they like the 'feel' of it over their bridge. or maybe prefer their cue to have more 'give'. simple as that. but it doesn't suit everyone.

it's all subjective of course with different people preferring different things. one thing's for certain - it ain't the taper that makes the player.

so, there's nothing new or ground breaking about acuerate's ideas. in fact, it's a direct rip off of the americans.

if you like the acuerate cue, buy it. but don't buy it cos you think it'll make the game easier. it won't.

the reason people use one cue and one cue only is cos they have got used to the exact 'feel' of that cue and are able to adjust their shots/aim to suit any type of shot. whether it's a normal cue or an acurate, makes no difference...
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

so you don't want to buy that acuerate then mike.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikewooldridge View Post
                  do you? why?

if you hit the cueball unintentionally on the side you will impart unintentional side on the cueball regardless of the cue taper
                  What I was saying was that a parallel shaft may reduce the amount of unintended side applied if the symmetry of the V formed by the bridge-hand is unequal. If the V is more L shaped, then as the diameter of the shaft increases, the axis of the cue will tend to move to the right. I vaguely remember something called a Tri-cue with a triangular shaft that I assume followed the same logic.

I wasn't suggesting the Acuerate was any good. I've never tried one. But I've spoken to ADR so I'm sure I never will.

Comment

i see what you are saying, but it makes no odds. parallel or standard, the 'centre' of the shaft travels along the same line in your bridging hand regardless.

i think the only surefire way to prevent cueing off centre inadvertantly is to rig up some electrodes connected to your genitals and line up a few metal 'barriers' either side of your shaft. bingo! cue to either left or right and the corresponding testicle gets it!

i'm sure it would only take a few practise sessions to rid a player of any cueing deviance....

also, i understand you weren't saying they were good. and i wasn't saying they were bad. simply trying to clear up this misconception about the 'magical' taper they employ.

as i said, buy one of you like it. as with other cues you will get used to using and adjusting your aim/touch to suit different shots.
                    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      so you don't want to buy that acuerate then mike.
                      no thanks. i'd rather boil my shins....
                      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

What I was saying was that a parallel shaft may reduce the amount of unintended side applied if the symmetry of the V formed by the bridge-hand is unequal. If the V is more L shaped, then as the diameter of the shaft increases, the axis of the cue will tend to move to the right. I vaguely remember something called a Tri-cue with a triangular shaft that I assume followed the same logic.
                        comments i forgot to add in first reply:

i appreciate the physics of the 'deformed' V you describe, but the fact the cue tip is within a fraction of the cueball when aiming, then at the moment of impact any 'sideways' movement would be negligible.

i think the problem lies somewhere deeper than just the bridge and a straight 'taper' will not solve the underlying issue.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

If a player has a problem with his bridge whereas his shaft will move sideway as he draws his cueback, shouldn't he be thinking about changing the way he bridges? I believe failing to hit where you aim is not just a matter of a bridge hand shape.

I suspect if they can really reduce cue ball squirt they way they claim they can, then they must have done something more than just using a special taper. They probably bore out the front end of the cue or fill it up with something else to reduce the weight at the first few inches of the shaft.

As I understand it, the claim is not to reduce unintentional side, as this cannot be reduce with the use of any cue since it is a stroke/sighting probem.

The claimed benefit of the cue is that it will make the cue ball travel straighter with the application of side. In other words, it reduces the deviation of the cue ball path due side, whether intentional or unintentional. Such a reduction can also help the player to make lesser adjustment to his aim on shots applied with side, ad make the cue ball go "striahgter" when unintneiotnla side is applied. They claim that this will help the player to make more side shots successfully, and miss less when unintentional side is applied.

I have heard that they are made in China and the workmanship is not so great for the price they are aksing. Of course, I am still interested in seeing one in person and trying it. I am basing my comment on workmanship from what I have read here and other forums.
                          Last edited by poolqjunkie; 10 March 2008, 11:30 PM.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

From what I've seen of the few I have actually had my hands on, they aren't that clever no, BUT I guess that's kind of reflected in the cost. The whole package is not a bad buy for someone who is looking for a complete cue/case/extensions type of thing, but much better quality can be had for simiilar money in my view.

On the playing side of things, they aren't some total revelation by any stretch of the imagination. They do play well with off centre striking, but apart from that, the few I've tried were stone dead and lacked response something dreadful.

Ultimately, the concept of a 'low throw' or 'low deflection' cue is nothing extraordinary or unique as I've said about a 1,000 times before. Cues CAN be made to display more of this characteristic without problem. From what I know of playing, cues and the game in general, I'd say there is no 'REAL' discernable difference in using an Acuerate cue over any other. For those who seek a stunning cue as far as playability, aesthetics and overall quality goes, there are numerous cues I would recommend well before the Acuerate cues.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for all your replies. Its an expensive cue and hard to decide whetehr i should buy and sell; since it will be a waste if i do not like afterwards.

I am looking for such an aid because i find that i cannot correct my deviation when striking the cue ball. i always strike on the left side slightly. i think this is caused by by backswing when pausing before hitting the ball. If i deliberately change the deviation, i find that i always over deviate and its hard to correct it on every shot.

Ok, thanks and i will have a second think

Comment

Working...
                              X