Cue makers' own personal cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue makers' own personal cues

Could the cue makers of this forum please take the time to share with us what do their own playing cue look like?
    Some say a cue maker would use his most fanciest work when he plays, but others believe that it is the other way around--that a cue maker would actually use a very plain cue may be even wth some minor flaws.
    Would be very interested to know what is being the case here.
    Thank you.
    www.AuroraCues.com

i'm using a 1pc ash ebony, one of the first cues i ever made. the ash looks terrible by the standards i use today but it's a great bit of wood and it has nice arrows at the top which is all that's needed in my mind.

the splicing is still nice and even although i misjudged the lengths and spliced the ebony a bit on the shallow side so the points are long. if that makes any sense...

still the best cue i've ever used. plenty of centuries including back to backs in competition play.

specs - 58", 9.5mm, 28.5mm, 17oz balanced at 17", fitted with a mushroom tip

p.s. when i say 'using', i haven't played for about 10 years apart from testing the odd cue. but i could still knock in a ton given a week or so practise...
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

i haven't played for about 10 years apart from testing the odd cue. but i could still knock in a ton given a week or so practise...
      And modest too!

Comment

Thanks Mike for the reply. Do you use the spec of your own preference on most your cues or do you only make yours a certain way and then the rest according to what you believe the majority would like?

Thank you once again.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
          Thanks Mike for the reply. Do you use the spec of your own preference on most your cues or do you only make yours a certain way and then the rest according to what you believe the majority would like?

Thank you once again.
          i go with what the majority prefer at around 58", 9.5mm, 29.5mm, 18oz.

they're good sizes...
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by mikewooldridge View Post
            i go with what the majority prefer at around 58", 9.5mm, 29.5mm, 18oz.

they're good sizes...
            Hi Mike,
            Thank you for the reply.
            If you have a make a shorter cue, say 55". Will you still go with the 17" balance point, or will you change it?
            The reason why i am asking this is because I am wondering if the distance between one's bridge hand and grip should be taken into account in finding out the best balance point for the player. Or the distance of the balance point forward of the grip hand. If that is so, then for a shorter cue, the above said distance shoud still be the same, and perhaps the balance point shoudl be moved back acordingly to account for the shorter length, what do you think?
            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 21 March 2008, 08:48 PM.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Im sure a person who knows more than me will be along shortly, but generally the balance point should be around 30% of a normal cue's length (although it can vary by a few % either side of this). So yes the balance point would probably be further back on an average 55" cue, but could still easily be at 17", however that would be a forwardish balanced cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikewooldridge View Post
                plenty of centuries including back to backs in competition play.
                Yeah cool, who did you loan it to for that then?

Comment

me !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                  X