Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are welcome Vendetta.. Well it's very much depends on what are you looking for.. if your priority is beauty then go for Omin. UT made all the cues himself. Both made good quality playing cue. Omin cues is slightly more expensive than UT cues. I cant really remember how much I paid for it(because I've order a few more items/accessories along). But is somewhere between 220USD-280USD(including postage-if not mistaken). For a custom Omin, the price I have paid is slightly higher than market price as I have ask Unclevit to find me a top quality piece of shaft/ash with nice playing feel and nice burl for my project.
    And I'd got what I have paid for, the final work is better than what I have thought. I'm satisfied and happy with it.
    Now continue to save up and hunt for a good western cue

Comment

• 220-280 USD including postage sounds okay for what is more or less my first cue. I do have one at the moment but it is not branded and I got it from a sports store for about 30-35 pounds, but I've been bitten by the bug now so I'm itching to buy one !

Not to mention that I'm a noob when it comes to buying cues, looking more and more around the forum and getting more familiar with the details. Things like splices,chevrons,grains,ash,maple,cocobola,masur birch etc etc were alien words for me before I joined here (well, maybe not maple :P). So I'm expanding my cue knowledge and looking at the stores here for the actual feel and look of things Hopefully I'll come across a combination I can say is 'the one'

I'm also a bit unaware of brands, I saw someone's cue at the club yesterday and it looked beautiful, the guy was kind enough to lend it to me for a frame and I found it played beautifully and I could just do with it what I wanted to (sounds easy than it is doesn't it ? ). The shots were effortless and I could get more movement on the ball especially with screwshots, without any extra effort on my part (could it be the tip ?).

He later on told me that its a Mastercue, you ever heard of it ?

Comment

• To be honest with you, before I join TSF. I only know of Omin and JP. Slowly when I took time to browse through the forum, I finally get to open my eyes to TW, MW, Dan .. etc etc. Most important in getting a cue, is don't rush. Make sure you find out your specs. Then many good cue makers here will be able to do their job, and you won't go wrong with them. When comes to splices, take some time to choose your favourite and some wood are not available through Asian cue makers, you have to look on the Western side. You may try to sign up on MW website and play around with his virtual cue maker, and it's very useful and informative. This is his website - http://www.handmadecues.com/index.htm and also read this and other article on the side http://www.handmadecues.com/home/21-general.htm
        Mastercue makes good cue too.. they are from Thailand. You can use the search button to find out more about Mastercue. This is their website - http://www.mastercue.th.com/th/index...tpage&Itemid=1

Hope this helps,
        Freddie

Comment

• My Latest Collection Cue - from the heart of Thailand

Now I have my own personal cuecrafters, though I still help members to get their best cues from UT and/or Omin.
          57", 10mm tip size, 18.1 oz., 3/4 pc., 29mm Butt, slightly forward balance.
          - Middle of the Shaft is slightly thicker (similar to Hunt & Osborne) for powerful long shot.
          - 5 nice arrow 'tournament grade' ash shaft, with BLANK BELLY (no arrow at all - difficult to find these days).
          - tried out for 3 frames of 6-red last night. Very solid feel, lively,but....could only do 36 maximum Too long away from the games.
          Last edited by unclevit; 18 January 2011, 03:02 AM.
          It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Hi Unclevit..they are beautiful and it looks nice from the picture. How does the french hand rubbing process works ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by vendetta_revived View Post
              220-280 USD including postage sounds okay for what is more or less my first cue. I do have one at the moment but it is not branded and I got it from a sports store for about 30-35 pounds, but I've been bitten by the bug now so I'm itching to buy one !

Not to mention that I'm a noob when it comes to buying cues, looking more and more around the forum and getting more familiar with the details. Things like splices,chevrons,grains,ash,maple,cocobola,masur birch etc etc were alien words for me before I joined here (well, maybe not maple :P). So I'm expanding my cue knowledge and looking at the stores here for the actual feel and look of things Hopefully I'll come across a combination I can say is 'the one'

I'm also a bit unaware of brands, I saw someone's cue at the club yesterday and it looked beautiful, the guy was kind enough to lend it to me for a frame and I found it played beautifully and I could just do with it what I wanted to (sounds easy than it is doesn't it ? ). The shots were effortless and I could get more movement on the ball especially with screwshots, without any extra effort on my part (could it be the tip ?).

He later on told me that its a Mastercue, you ever heard of it ?
              Mastercue from thailand are good too, only in one piece.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NJt...eature=related
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObX6G...eature=related
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNirO2VkH4
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uYI...eature=related

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueinhand View Post
                Absolutely a color in green fan!!!
                hi, long time no conversation. i was missing for too long from this forum. though the bangkok's riot was over for many months, but still the workload is a lot Happy season, cueinhand
                It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Originally Posted by Freddie Ng View Post
                  Hi Unclevit..they are beautiful and it looks nice from the picture. How does the french hand rubbing process works ?
                  I saw them used cloth instead of brush or spray. Handrubbing for thin layers, again and again. Leave dry between each layer. Took some 2-3 days to finish. I think it's the special formula on the varnish not the process. They used several liquids mixing together. We call it here 'french varnish'. Similar to what the violin makers are doing on the violin body, back and front, for a shinny, durable and longlasting coating. I might be wrong, but that's what they call it here BTW, I hope you get my email on the waxing thing you asked today
                  It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Thank you Freddie and 888. I'll definitely concentrate on getting my specs right first and then look into ordering. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Hi Unclevit..they are beautiful and it looks nice from the picture. How does the french hand rubbing process works ?
                      Fred : As you know, I used to have some 7-8 good cues with me but all gone to friends, here and abroad. Back to collection again after I found these cuecrafters. UT is too busy to do cues for me these days. Many members are still behind his delivery schedules. I have personally collect many fine Ash and Maple woods for my own customs (those nice arrows that are now well dried). So, next year I will be ebaying some of very fine quality cues from these people, under a 'C' brand. Watch for it. If you want to know the price of this cue, pm me, but I am not selling HAPPY SEASON
                      It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                        Fred : As you know, I used to have some 7-8 good cues with me but all gone to friends, here and abroad. Back to collection again after I found these cuecrafters. UT is too busy to do cues for me these days. Many members are still behind his delivery schedules. I have personally collect many fine Ash and Maple woods for my own customs (those nice arrows that are now well dried). So, next year I will be ebaying some of very fine quality cues from these people, under a 'C' brand. Watch for it. If you want to know the price of this cue, pm me, but I am not selling HAPPY SEASON
                        Yeah.. I've got your reply on that, does the french polish finishing looks shining? How does the Omin Hunter sales goes ??
                        Maybe you can try promote "C" here too. . many members here I believe were looking for good budgeted cues. Is UT going to retire any sooner ? or he delaying his retirement..
                        How long will it take to get a UT cue done ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by vendetta_revived View Post
                          Thank you Freddie and 888. I'll definitely concentrate on getting my specs right first and then look into ordering. I appreciate the help.
                          You're welcome :snooker:
                          Take you time browse through some old threads about cues and the makers.
                          I'm sure you will find one that suits you

Good luck :snooker:

Comment

Yeah.. I've got your reply on that, does the french polish finishing looks shining? How does the Omin Hunter sales goes ??
                            Maybe you can try promote "C" here too. . many members here I believe were looking for good budgeted cues. Is UT going to retire any sooner ? or he delaying his retirement..
                            How long will it take to get a UT cue done ?
                            Fred : polishing can be medium shine or very shinny. Omin hunter is doing well. For my 'C' brand next year, I have decided to go ahead as, after some 2+ years of making UT and Omin cues for members, I have stumbled upon some of the best Thai cuecrafters, who also have been doing custom cues behind many well known brands, and never before selling their fine cues directly to anyone, nor having their own brand. So, I decided to jump in. UT is retiring very soon. And with this few crafters I found, I still can offer members, who do not care about the brand, 'very fine tournament grade' quality cues at a more affordable prices. My latest 12-splice 3/4 cue shown in the forum gives me the decision to go ahead with them next year. See my full note in your mailbox
                            It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Hi Uncle Suvit and Freddie, It's been a long while since my last visit. Howz you two doing? The cue I've ordered with the help of Uncle Suvit came at the end of July. It's so beautiful. I'll manage to post the pics when I find a cable to my camera...my own got lost...

Comment

• Hi Jay.. It's been awhile since we last chat. Everything is fine over here. Thinking of getting another cue next year. Right now try hard to save up for it.
                                How about you ?? how is your snooker going on?? How does your new cue play

Comment

Working...
                                X