This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
    Where are the pics cueinhand? Did you forget to put them in the post.
    :snooker:
    Never seen such a beautiful red curly maple.

Comment

• Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
      Is this red curly maple a member of the maple family, or is that just named curly maple because it looks like curly maple?
      Do they have maple in Thai?
      Hi Pooljunkie : Happy New Year.
      I bought this wood from a burl sawing mill in Laos. It came by mistake with the other burl timbers, but I paid for it after seeing it. The Seller said it's from his maple stock (they also have birdseye maple for my next purchase), but color tends to be more red than the usual brown, or brown/yellow. It looks like the curly maple blanks they have, so they call it 'Red Curly Maple'. Laos and Thailand (up our northern mountains close to Burma where the climate is quite cool year round). Not enough volume for wood industry, but good for small carving or this cuework. This cue is going to a forum member. I need cash to pay for my shipment of snakewood timbers, so this cue has to go Thanks for asking.
      Last edited by unclevit; 8 January 2011, 02:59 AM.
      It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
        Hi Pooljunkie : Happy New Year.
        I bought this wood from a burl sawing mill in Laos. It came by mistake with the other burl timbers, but I paid for it after seeing it. The Seller said it's from his maple stock (they also have birdseye maple for my next purchase), but color tends to be more red than the usual brown, or brown/yellow. It looks like the curly maple blanks they have, so they call it 'Red Curly Maple'. Laos and Thailand (up our northern mountains close to Burma where the climate is quite cool year round). Not enough volume for wood industry, but good for small carving or this cuework. This cue is going to a forum member. I need cash to pay for my shipment of snakewood timbers, so this cue has to go Thanks for asking.
        Thanks for the detailed reply. What a rare and interesting find this red curly maple (or may be we should call it red curly burr.) I have heard of some very interesting wood from Thai and India.
        Snakewood is very expensive to buy, are you shipping them from the US or from Asia? I hope you are not paying too much on shipping.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply. What a rare and interesting find this red curly maple (or may be we should call it red curly burr.) I have heard of some very interesting wood from Thai and India.
          Snakewood is very expensive to buy, are you shipping them from the US or from Asia? I hope you are not paying too much on shipping.
          Some ppl we call it "Asian Snakewood"

Comment

Perhaps, it should be called 'burl' as you suggested. The original looks something like a mix between red and gold colors. Similar to my 3/4 pc middle spliced figure maple, but more to the red and comes from a piece that looks like burl shape. For the snakewood, I have a niece living in North Carolina and she will ship me when she finds good ones (US's flat rate box). My younger sister works for an embassy in one of South Africa' countries, so whenever she finds this snakewood, she'll send me too. I have 1 piece in 24" long, good for a cue butt like the one Kevin is showing recently, but after careful inspection, the scales are not that nice throughout the surface, so it will be cut and go to 12-splice version that I will show here in next 2 weeks time, on a blank belly, nice arrows, ash shaft already prepared for this project. To my experience, Thailand and Laos has plenty of unusual patterned hardwoods, so that is why I always stick to our local woods, or woods shipped from Laos. At present, there are wholesalers living in Laos country alone, buying various species of burl woods, tons at a time, shipped in a container and sell to furniture factories in China and Vietnam. I am paying for about US$30-50 per kilo of burl wood blocks, but not all of them will make nice spliced cues. After cutting, I may use only half of the original weight, but worth the purchase. I show some pieces of my last purchases here. More on their way to me next month. Will use my own team to do some cues and put on sales here. Love to share some thoughts. No secrets as I sell cue as a hobby, and always wanting to do it cheap to serve members with limited budgets. Everytime Sangsom Whiskey's 6-Red is held here (every year) I will see a lot of players buying back Thai cues for their friends, or re-sale back in their countries. After all, it's the player's skill that matters most on the score. A cue is just a tool to get there. But it must be a well built cue, and quality shaft. Hope you agree with me
            Last edited by unclevit; 18 January 2011, 03:02 AM.
            It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueinhand View Post
              Some ppl we call it "Asian Snakewood"
              cueinhand : Very deep information Yes, I heard one of the wood sellers in Laos called it 'asian snakewood' too. Or 'winged red padauk'. But my seller calls it 'Red Curly Maple' so I use her words to describe this cue. By the way, I am seeing one burl wood seller from Cambodia next week. She will bring me some burl wood samples. She might be my other source of rare wood buyings. A friend of mine used to get a very nice piece of deep black hardwood, with patterns that look like hundreds of 'red/brown snake scales' on it. She called it 'Anaconda'. Cambodia has lots of exotic, burl and hardwoods. That's why I want to meet her. I am good at girls
              It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                cueinhand : Very deep information Yes, I heard one of the wood sellers in Laos called it 'asian snakewood' too. Or 'winged red padauk'. But my seller calls it 'Red Curly Maple' so I use her words to describe this cue. By the way, I am seeing one burl wood seller from Cambodia next week. She will bring me some burl wood samples. She might be my other source of rare wood buyings. A friend of mine used to get a very nice piece of deep black hardwood, with patterns that look like hundreds of 'red/brown snake scales' on it. She called it 'Anaconda'. Cambodia has lots of exotic, burl and hardwoods. That's why I want to meet her. I am good at girls
                Yeah!
                I know you are playboy

Comment

• Some nice samples unclevit.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                    Some nice samples unclevit.
                    Hi Acrowot : I am trying to get that 'anaconda' black wood from Cambodia. And will make a cue once I get a piece of it, showing in TSF
                    It's in the Shaft

Comment

• Unclevit, is she your wood supplier (the girl in your avatar)?
                      Last edited by poolqjunkie; 9 January 2011, 12:41 PM.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Unclevit, is she your wood supplier (the girl in your avatar)?

One of my jobs (besides being an instructor for our Crime Response Unit, and making cues for members) is working as a PR consultant for a group of Drug Stores here in Thailand. So, I need to have beauties for their Sales Promotion events. She requested that I put her photo here for a few weeks, replacing the former girl (whom she does not like). My lady wood suppliers (both from Laos and Cambodia) are tan not this pinky white
                        It's in the Shaft

Comment

Unclevit, is she your wood supplier (the girl in your avatar)?
                          she gives me wood

Comment

• Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
                            she gives me wood
                            Lol yeah good 1

Comment

• Wood you pass her along to me?

ooops, think I made spelling mistake ... lol.

Comment

• There I was thinking may be I should get myself a lady wood supplier, too.
                                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                                X