• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheers mate, yup deffo is darker
    hope u get ya first 50 witht the GBL tonight then

Comment

• Nice cues there.:-)
      The tulip do look a bit different than the usual ones we see on your Mannock.
      I love the GBL cue, very beautiful.
      Hope you get some nice big break with it.:-)
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
        Nice cues there.:-).... I love the GBL cue, very beautiful.....
        Thanks mate, yes the GBL cue looks very nice indeed

Comment

• The Robin Cook Cues look awesome, he has long been one of my favorite cue-makers.

Comment

• My Newest Burl member

My newest baby. All by myself. Worked with it bit by bit since May
            Ash shaft is with 8 arrows, blank belly. 12-splice in african ebony - curly maple - Red Butterfly Burl (my Seller from Laos calls this wood 'red butterfly burl', so I call it too - though a part looks like mutiple birdseye circles). I never thought the burl will look this pretty when I purchased the blank at first. Now with one of our national players to test. Workshop asked me straight, "why don't you set up you own workshop?". I am still not that good
            My next one is 16-splice version. 4 months perhaps, and all by my own hands (my plan)
            Last edited by unclevit; 25 August 2011, 04:29 AM. Reason: more text
            It's in the Shaft

Comment

• unclevit that is a stunning looking cue .

Comment

• Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                Ash shaft is with 8 arrows, blank belly. 12-splice in african ebony - curly maple - Red Butterfly Burl (my Seller from Laos calls this wood 'red butterfly burl', so I call it too - though a part looks like mutiple birdseye circles). I never thought the burl will look this pretty when I purchased the blank at first. Now with one of our national players to test. Workshop asked me straight, "why don't you set up you own workshop?". I am still not that good
                My next one is 16-splice version. 4 months perhaps, and all by my own hands (my plan)
                A very nice cue. Certainly one to be proud of. looks a bit like a Powerglide Connoisseur. Hope its a good player!
                If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

• The colour and pattern of the burl wood look nice unclevit! hope it plays well

Comment

• is she for sale unclevit?

Comment

• Very nice cue, the old Connoisseur style is still very attractive to most, looks nice, the wood on your lower butt splicing is actually Camphor Burl which is SEA predominantly, our cue maker has used it but finds that it must be dry to 5% with good surface prep as it otherwise does not glue very well, very popular wood with pen manufacturers. Seeing you have real passion (hope you get a good price for it too) and skill in making cues why not try the same design with turkish walnut, our guy just finished one in the Connoisseur style using Madagascan ebony with red ivory in the center and the lower butt splicings in turkish walnut, looks superb and the pink ivory adds natural weight and good balance to your cue, I cant post a picture as the cue is currently playing in a world tournament but will do when I see it again,I am posting a few pics of a cue he did recently using Show-grade Mulga, a very hard and very nice looking wood, matches extremely well with Ebony both in contrast and density, but not cheap;; the ebony end caps are always a nice finishing touch. Keep up the good work;

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                      Attached Files

Comment

• That's a very nice cue Suvit, you must be pleased with the result and I'm sure
                        many members will want this design.

Comment

• thanks mate. from the pictures, we have local woods called 'orange padauk' that has wider or closer pattern lines. different from wood to wood. i am trying not to use import wood to keep the custom cost down. yes, the camphor burl is mentioned by this laos seller, but he said 'red butterfly burl' and i quite agree with him when i saw the big blanks that has pattern that forms like butterfly wings anyhow, same piece of blank can offer totally different pattern from side to side. since we have trouble with cambodia, i still cannot bring in blocks of so called 'spot ebony'. this wood has plain deep black with light brown stains all over, similar to omin's hunter version. the ones that i bought but still laying on the other wide of the boarder has pattern that looks very similar to leopard skin, i.e. lighter spots/stains everywhere over the black ebony. not a single blank is here yet, but i already get some 10+ orders from local collections/serious players. laos and cambodia has plenty of very fine woods and the bad thing is that though my wood stacks are only a few hours drive from bangkok, but just could not take them back here at present. I am playing with this 'butterfly burl'. The shaft is very responsive, and I was quite lucky to get this ash piece, with 8 arrows and blank belly. Don't pass by often. Snooker cue collection is my passion, and it will stay long into the future. Thanks for valuable inputs, JP1
                          By the way, I have spent some US$180 to get both the shaft and the butt woods to me (I bought a large ash blank, and some 3kg weight of this burl blank, then cut open and picked only the pieces that can go to my workshop. A good saving)
                          It's in the Shaft

Comment

• not yet. though the butt woods are outstanding, but the shaft is of much better playing quality, as confirmed by a few of our good players who playtested it (not me of course as my best break is still only 5 blacks - last week's play)
                            It's in the Shaft

Comment

• If you have a good Australian source, buy some red mallee burl, york gum or black morrell burl, they are stunning and finish extremely well they are also very rare, and the same density and weight as ebony, but you need a good reliable supplier as some Australian suppliers are quite useless and charge a lot for crap wood with inclusions and cracks, here is one of the best suppliers http://www.djarilmari.com/ they have sent us a few parcels over the years and each one was first class quality, your custom charges are dependent on your declared purchase value and is something you need to talk to your supplier about. If they send you "wood samples" instead of "wood pieces" your charges in Thailand will be very small. We are waiting on some Black Morrell Burl 22" in length ourselves, we will use that to make a few one piece cues with a Black Morrell Burl butt, should look quite interesting, similar to the all snake wood butts of yesteryear like the Riley cues.. You are lucky to get any decent ash in Thailand, when I was in BKK and Chiang Mai last, all the ash I saw including at O Mins or Ukrits is not North American, I have never seen North American ash in that shape or board size, my guess is Chinese or Russian, I took a few small pieces back with me when I get a chance to have their country of origin checked, I will post it here. Ukrit used to import North American ash but had a lot of trouble with security in BKK, a lot of the better pieces got stolen, I did like his ash better then what I saw at O Mins in Minburi. The best quality North American ash I saw in SEA was at the LP factory in China, they even had the shipping details still on the container the ash was in, and they are not so stupid anymore and sell their best pieces complete with ebony butt as blanks to UK or other cue makers while using the crap themselves. LP had a stunning range of top quality cues which he uses the best ash pieces on, his prices obviously reflective of that, if you look at the internet you'll find his Duke, King or Custom range for around RMB 7000 - 12,000.00 that is a lot of money for a cue of any description, but Luo Xipei said he is selling them, in fact he claims he cant produce enough to satisfy demand?? I bought a few myself, and they are exceptional in every way. a few world class players have obviously found that out too as they are getting more and more popular among them, ask Ronnie O Sullivan he bought 3 of them in Shanghai just recently after taking part in a trade exhibition and trying out various Chinese cues prior to the Shanghai Masters with Liang Wenbo as a publicity thing, Liang now has two as well.

Good luck with your cues

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                              thanks mate. from the pictures, we have local woods called 'orange padauk' that has wider or closer pattern lines. different from wood to wood. i am trying not to use import wood to keep the custom cost down. yes, the camphor burl is mentioned by this laos seller, but he said 'red butterfly burl' and i quite agree with him when i saw the big blanks that has pattern that forms like butterfly wings anyhow, same piece of blank can offer totally different pattern from side to side. since we have trouble with cambodia, i still cannot bring in blocks of so called 'spot ebony'. this wood has plain deep black with light brown stains all over, similar to omin's hunter version. the ones that i bought but still laying on the other wide of the boarder has pattern that looks very similar to leopard skin, i.e. lighter spots/stains everywhere over the black ebony. not a single blank is here yet, but i already get some 10+ orders from local collections/serious players. laos and cambodia has plenty of very fine woods and the bad thing is that though my wood stacks are only a few hours drive from bangkok, but just could not take them back here at present. I am playing with this 'butterfly burl'. The shaft is very responsive, and I was quite lucky to get this ash piece, with 8 arrows and blank belly. Don't pass by often. Snooker cue collection is my passion, and it will stay long into the future. Thanks for valuable inputs, JP1
                              By the way, I have spent some US$180 to get both the shaft and the butt woods to me (I bought a large ash blank, and some 3kg weight of this burl blank, then cut open and picked only the pieces that can go to my workshop. A good saving)

Comment

• thanks for input. we don't import that many pieces from other countries as we try to keep the cost of our customs as low as possible, so many of the woods we used are from within thailand (can't tell more where these woods are from), or neighbouring countries. we do import some woods from brazil and south america too, but only a few types. besides, as a passion, i will do only some 6-10 custom cues per month. our shaft wood seller does not import ash or maple from asia, but elsewhere. and to a very limited quantity. ukrit imports containers of wood at a time, and so does omin. china can offer very fine ash woods providing that you find the right company or persons to deal with. i used to buy a few ash lumbers from a chinese seller that costed me 3 times higher in price comparing to woods from our regular north american seller, and these chinese ash worth every cent. since we do very little amount of custom cues each month, we pay a lot of attention in the selection of fine to very fine ash/maple shafts. still, if our boarder problem with cambodia is solved or softened, i will have to bring in my timbers of spot ebony bought and left over there. plenty of people here will love to have cues made from this wood. omin uses only this wood in his hunter models. tks and good games
                                It's in the Shaft

Comment

Working...
                                X