X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ******yip*********

Comment

• Originally Posted by poona View Post
      Perhaps it may not be John himself making the cues....??
      That was my point, I'm pretty sure that if he was still a one man band things like this would never really happen, but they would happen now and again as they probably happen to the rest of these cue makers. I wouldn't mock his gear because i can't, i have limited experience with parris cues, my bro has one and it's lovely. However was it made by john himself? Probably not.... But its a nice cue none the less, simple ebony and ash, but it's all spot on.
      Last edited by haggishunter; 24 October 2012, 10:57 PM.
      :snooker:

Comment

• Had spoken to John himself yesterday evening. He did apologize for the flaws on the cues, told me to just send the butts back for rectification. Really not sure whether to do that just yet cos both cues are playing great n are well balanced. If these butts were to be re-spliced again to correct the flaws, then the overall balance may be different again. Or I may just keep them as they are since both cues have some sentimental values to me, and I'm NOT going to sell them anyway. I guess, these flaws would make them a 'Special Edition' cue!!

I've another 'Ultimate' on order since May this year and I told John that he MUST personally check this cue to ensure it is free from this kind of flaws again and do not send it out to me unless he is satisfied with the work. So, I guess something positive did come out of this after all!!

Comment

• I am not a cuemaker but I am concerned that just sending the butt(s) back for resplicing wont work as the ebony points are not on the butt(s) and there would be no point of reference for the new splicing? Possibly come back worse?
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Was sent an email and asked for my view on these cues last night. This was what I typed up but didn't post at the time.....

Not that I am looking to defend John Parris in any way, but, there's a question that needs to be asked here, which is..... How old were these cues before the resplice.???

From what I can see of those cues, I'd say he's being vilified for very little reason here. Yes ok, they have been respliced, and yes, the one with the olivewood DOES look as though the lower (new) set of four splices is "slightly" out of alignment with those (older ones) above, but, that could be the angle the cue is pictured at. Not sure.

The MAJOR issue that is being discussed here is the fact that the splice work that has been carried out is NOT aligned to the EBONY splices on the shafts.

Now, there's a simple enough reason for that, and it's this......

If we look at the alignment of the 6" ebony shaft splices on the centre cue, we can see that they do not appear perfectly lined up with the olivewood splices on the butt yes.? The reason for that would be because the joint faces have worn slightly through use (hence the question of cue age / amount of use), which in turn means that the position the joint locks at is at slightly more of a turn than it was when the cue was new. This causes the misalignment of the ebony shaft splices to ANY lower existing splices. Now, when any ADDITIONAL splice work is done (and where any part of the older lower splices are still visible), it would look very very odd to have those NEW splices fitted to align with the short ebony shaft splices, but NOT the existing lower olivewood splices, which are still partly visible.

Doing it that way would mean that you have the ebony top splices on the shaft, and then an offset four lower splices of olivewood and then another set of four olivewood splices lower down, which are offset to those above them again. It would look awful done that way, as all the splices would appear to zig zag in sets of four down the cue.

The same issue applies to the other cue, although on that cue, it looks as though ALL older existing splices were removed and replaced. Reason again is......If any old splices were removed, the new ones would HAVE TO be placed where the old one WERE, otherwise you would see parts of the old splices sticking out one side of ALL the NEW replaced splices. The new splices cannot be placed to realign with the short ebony shaft splices without removing one part of the joint and refitting it to correct alignment.

Confusing I know, but true nonetheless.
            Last edited by trevs1; 25 October 2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• That's what I was just about to say . . . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                If we look at the alignment of the 6" ebony shaft splices on the centre cue, we can see that they do not appear perfectly lined up with the olivewood splices on the butt yes.? The reason for that would be because the joint faces have worn slightly through use (hence the question of cue age / amount of use), which in turn means that the position the joint locks at is at slightly more of a turn than it was when the cue was new. This causes the misalignment of the ebony shaft splices to ANY lower existing splices. Now, when any ADDITIONAL splice work is done (and where any part of the older lower splices are still visible), it would look very very odd to have those NEW splices fitted to align with the short ebony shaft splices, but NOT the existing lower olivewood splices, which are still partly visible.
                Perfectly fair points im sure but my eyes must be getting old then.. to me the original olivewood and the ebony splice points align perfectly, but the new ones are off to the right against both! Suppose the owner would be only one who can see that properly but im not seeing anything out of alignment with the original bits.

Nice to see customer service is alive and well and John offered to sort it out, I never had any doubt they would on that score, I was just concerned that the OP was reluctant to mention it to them.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Old cue collector --
                Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• After looking at the larger pics of the ultimate the thuya burl crossover is slightly lower on the right hand side than on the left. That being said is it worth sending it back and waiting a few weeks for the correction to be made?

Comment

• a few pics of my new stick a phoenix supreme machine spliced 58" 19oz 9.7mm. 20121103_145306.jpg20121103_145609.jpg20121103_145404.jpg

Comment

• Not bad at all for a machine spliced cue...

Originally Posted by machine230677 View Post
                      a few pics of my new stick a phoenix supreme machine spliced 58" 19oz 9.7mm. [ATTACH=CONFIG]12265[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12266[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12267[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Originally Posted by machine230677 View Post
                        a few pics of my new stick a phoenix supreme machine spliced 58" 19oz 9.7mm. [ATTACH=CONFIG]12265[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12266[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12267[/ATTACH]
                        fine looking cue, top shaft

Comment

• Couple just out of the shed....

More pics in my Jason Owen cues thread.
                          http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

• Is that the wenge experiment on No 61 ? Absolutely loving the burr .................. must resist , I am sticking with coco . Keep it up Jason.

Comment

• Originally Posted by old school View Post
                              Is that the wenge experiment on No 61 ? Absolutely loving the burr .................. must resist , I am sticking with coco . Keep it up Jason.
                              I've totally lost track with your order, you'll have to message me what you want, final spec, ill get started in a few weeks as I have some cracking shafts on the go.
                              http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

• **Post Pictures of your cue!**

Is that burr elm in the number 48 cue Jason?
                                Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Working...
                                X