Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hay myth, i see you have a fred england cue badge, who made that mate?
    Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
    I think all my cues play better than me

Lovely cues by the way.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      hay myth, i see you have a fred england cue badge, who made that mate?
      http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...hlight=england

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        Was that the ash Butters cue that was on ebay over the last 2 weeks ?

I was tempted.

The maple one went for an absolute song ( £139 ) for a badged Butters. .

Anyone on here buy it ?
        He listed that cue ,I bid on it £135 , a day to go he pulled it, wiped my bid out said there were no bids made and there was a mistake in the listing, a week later listed it again with the exact same listing, not even a comma changed, and accepted £139, complete cock end, I wouldn't give him the pickings out my nose let alone my money. Although he does make cracking looking cues twat lol.
        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 1 March 2014, 08:37 AM.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Originally Posted by billabong View Post

I was tempted.

Anyone on here buy it ?
          He listed that cue ,I bid on it £135 , a day to go he pulled it, wiped my bid out said there were no bids made and there was a mistake in the listing, a week later listed it again with the exact same listing, not even a comma changed, and accepted £139, complete cock end, I wouldn't give him the pickings out my nose let alone my money. Although he does make cracking looking cues twat lol.
          Nice to see you're not bitter about the deal and you're moving on...lol =p I can see why you are disappointed as it's very photogenic...
          Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            That's strange. James Butters (joolsbrummer) has got a pretty good reputation, I thought, as several forum members have bought cues from him. Did you try to contact him for an explanation? Maybe just a genuine mistake? Not casting doubts over your story but seems a bit strange when the guy has only got 4 quid extra out of it. Butters is a retired policeman who makes cues as a hobby so wouldn't have thought he was in it for the money?

Comment

• I'm not the first he has done this to, I know of two other members on here who have bid on more than one of his cues and had the same thing happen to them, he is known for it unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                Nice to see you're not bitter about the deal and you're moving on...lol =p I can see why you are disappointed as it's very photogenic...
                Easy come easy go lol, but if your going to treat people that way I think you deserve a bit of a kicking, not a serious one ,just a dunt on the shin.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  hay myth, i see you have a fred england cue badge, who made that mate?
                  http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...hlight=england
                  I believe Jim Evans got Tony Glover to make them (if you are referring to the same square badges) I am thinking of.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I was tempted.

Anyone on here buy it ?
                    I with you on that bud, I was about to place a bid on that ash cue and he pulled it!!

My mate bought the maple cue, it's an absolute beauty!!
                    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

• Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                      I with you on that bud, I was about to place a bid on that ash cue and he pulled it!!

Yeah if James would only let the auctions run till the end they would achieve higher prices, but just goes to show you should not wait till the end to place your bid, as the seller thinks there is no interest in the cue, i was the only bidder so let me have it

Comment

• Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post

If he doesn't get on with it, you know where I am . :snooker:

Comment

• Hi guys, this is my spare cue and I have it about 10 years now. It's a Robert Osborne cue and he picked a special piece of ash for me, without darts at the top side and without the typical reverse darts on the opposite side. I use it for both pool and snooker (no break-off shots of course), it is kind of rigid and hast almost no throw on stun shots.

Make: Robert Osborne Cue
                          Design: Ebony, Ash, single Thuya Burr splice with maple veneer, even splice points high and low
                          Weight: 18.75 ounces
                          Length: 148,5 cm (58" ?)
                          Tip: 9.5 mm
                          Butt: 29 mm, 18" long
                          Balance: at the joint, 18" from butt end
                          Price: about 700 Euros back in 2003

butt and tip
                          01032014150.jpg

dart side
                          01032014149.jpg

reverse dart side
                          01032014151.jpg
                          Last edited by oberlaie; 1 March 2014, 11:29 PM.
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          omaha players need more than a nice pair to get excited

Comment

• Hi guys, this is my playing cue for almost 30 years now. It's a Hunt & O'Byrne which I picked at Britannia Snooker Shop in Germany sometime in 1985. I was a student then and so the price tag of 1300 deutschmarks (about 650 euros nowadays) was a little shocking, but I tried the lot of stock cues and i finally picked it because it didn't have the typical reverse darts on the back side (important for me as I have a habit to play with the flat side down), it was plain ebony and ash and felt heavy and like a weapon. And most important, I liked the weight and balance and my hand fell in love with it instantly ... it could pot half distance balls almost by itself

The owner of the shop later gave me an original case for a day's work repairing and reconfiguring his computer, I never would have bought it because it was kind of pricey and so I was delighted to get it as a present. I still have that case and prefer it to a shiny new one despite it has worn down very much now. Cue and case travelled with me to many many tournaments, near and far.

As the years went by, a new ferrule was added multiple times and occasionally the cue had to be shortened by a ferrule size because the wood inside the ferrule was damaged. First, Will Hunt added a 2 inch piece of wood at the bottom end and re-spliced it (perfect work, you don't feel or see it ever has been cut), and about 5 years ago it gained another inch by adding a new butt which Robert Osborne built for me. The new butt is exactly same weight and balance as the original one but one inch longer. It has four cocobolo splices with maple veneers, and all the splice points are exactly in line, both upper and lower sides.

The cue is very rigid, it plays best with a tip on the medium/soft side.

Make: Hunt & O'Byrne
                            Design: plain ebony & ash, even splice points high and low, straight grain at the sides and not many darts top and bottom of shaft
                            Length: was 147 cm (57 ") when new, now 145 cm (56" ?) with original butt, 147 cm (57" ?) with replacement butt
                            Weight: 535 grams (18.5 ounces ?)
                            Tip: 9 mm (was 9.5 mm when new i think)
                            Butt: 27.5 mm, 18" (original); 28 mm, 19" (replacement)
                            Balance: at the joint, 19" from butt end (18" with original butt)
                            Price: 1300 DM back in 1985 (about 650 Euros)

cue and extra butt
                            01032014154.jpg

butts and side grain
                            01032014156.jpg

dart side
                            01032014159.jpg

reverse dart side
                            01032014161.jpg

logo on the old cheddar classics case
                            01032014153.jpg
                            Last edited by oberlaie; 1 March 2014, 11:30 PM.
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            omaha players need more than a nice pair to get excited

Comment

• oberlaie,

You are going to be the envy of many Forum members. Great cues and history to go with them.
                              The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
                                oberlaie,

You are going to be the envy of many Forum members. Great cues and history to go with them.
                                Hi Wayne, Where did that masterpiece of your's end up? It would have sat perfect in my collection:snooker: Buy the time i saw you were selling it was gone

Comment

Working...
                                X