Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a fifty year old cue, it's looking fantastic.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      For a fifty year old cue, it's looking fantastic.
      Yeah, it hasn't been owned by me or that Tony Micra! lol And it didn't cost £400!

Comment

• Joe Davis made the 147 break in 1955 and Peradon made a commemorative cue from that date, not sure when they stopped.
        They came in ash and maple shafts, with ebony and rosewood butts; all with the maple front splice, with the rectangle badge of both black and red text. Not sure which colour or butt timber is more or less common.
        Three things that stand out about your cue:
        1. Lacquer coating - seems out of trend for the early cues (?).
        2. Opposed splicing of the front splice to the lower points, I have only seen aligned with the upper points of the butt splices.
        3. The transfer of "Peradon & Fletcher Limited" with the Permac, Elf, Cannon logos combined was trademarked in 1977, and was replaced in 1983. Not seen this transfer before as they tend to wear down very quickly. I assume the transfer is on top of the lacquer? Not sure of Peradon made this cue into the 70s.

Maybe 100-upper and perpetual can shed their thoughts on this cue as well

My choice would be to not remove the lacquer - if original - as it does look a very clean example.
        Last edited by DeanH; 5 October 2016, 06:21 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Cheers Dean, some good info there. I think this one may be ebony not rosewood from the grain pattern but I could be wrong.

The transfer is indeed on top of the lacquer. Hopefully one of the two members you mention can shed some light.

Interesting that my last JD had an 11mm ferrule, fat taper and this one is just under 10mm. It's also got a narrower taper and the butt is 31mm compared to 33mm on the last one. It's also got a chamfer with a slightly deeper cut, so the butt feels more modern compared to my last one. Maybe the change in overall shape points to it being a later edition; I believe ferrule and tips sized began to come down in the 70s. I've got a maple cue in the house again; I feel better already. LOL
          Last edited by Big Splash!; 5 October 2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• **Post Pictures of your cue!**

Could be maccassar ebony with a brownish grain in places?
            As you say a slimmer taper could indicate a 70s cue.

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              Could be maccassar ebony with a brownish grain in places?
              As you say a slimmer taper could indicate a 70s cue.
              Blimey, I should have thought of that, Maccasar, yes, that does ring a bell. My last one felt like a real old school billiards cue, this one is a snooker cue. They're both the same weight roughly. Another thing I noticed; the butt on this one is flat finished, the last one curved, and this one has a leather buffer that covers all the end, whereas the last one covered the middle of the butt end but not the edges. The lettering on the last one was a deeper cut too. The letters on this badge somewhat shallower.

An interesting find.
              Last edited by Big Splash!; 5 October 2016, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• I've an Ash one with the red writing. .

Comment

• Nice cue Bill, I bet that one has a lovely woody feel to it at 17oz. What are the specs? I do like the red ones. My last one was black. This current one only has 2 screws as well, a bit different from the rest. Hang on, the Chinese weren't faking cues all them decades ago were they?!

Comment

• Sorry if it's been mentioned but why red and black badges?
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Any reason for red and black has never been said, or at least I have never found any reason
                      Maybe just what the badge maker fancied at the time

Comment

Any reason for red and black has never been said, or at least I have never found any reason
                        Maybe just what the badge maker fancied at the time
                        Don't, Tonymicra will be reading this and filling one in with green paint, saying it's a one of a kind ANTIQUE. Or is that unique antique? LOL

Comment

sure he would! for £1000!

is he a member?

Comment

sure he would! for £1000!

is he a member?
                            No idea. I think the red and black badges refer to the 147 break. Every red with a black I reckon. If they made equal numbers of each, that would have been awesome.

Comment

• They did red and black text for other breaks cues
                              No idea what the ratio between the colours would be

Comment

They did red and black text for other breaks cues
                                No idea what the ratio between the colours would be
                                This just raises more questions bud! I think you'll have to get your extra big shovel out.

Comment

Working...
                                X