This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
    They still have the black stuff, though if you want it then time to order an ultimate.

I remember seeing a pic of a new traditional cue on twitter and the guy just got it and was happy with it, the ebony was more brown than it was black. Actually here's a pic of it.

Personally i'd have sent that back on seeing it. £430 cue and that's the grade of ebony you get?

There's cue supply places out there selling ebony that's 95-100% black for £48 for 4 19 inch splices. You would think considering the lowest price parris cue is £320 that there would be room to incorporate a reasonable grade of ebony on the butt.
    I know the general consensus is that ebony must be black but does the shade of ebony really matter in terms of physical characteristics? Is it heavier and more dense the darker it is? I personally prefer some texture but if it affects desirability on the whole and sell on value it'd make me think twice.

I sense that I'm not the only one; though we've been conditioned to not like light ebony that may not be the case innately.

Comment

• Originally Posted by qc2 View Post
      I know the general consensus is that ebony must be black but does the shade of ebony really matter in terms of physical characteristics? Is it heavier and more dense the darker it is? I personally prefer some texture but if it affects desirability on the whole and sell on value it'd make me think twice.

I sense that I'm not the only one; though we've been conditioned to not like light ebony that may not be the case innately.
      Don't think it makes a difference to the weight, its just that the black stuff with a polished finish on it looks really nice, when its patchy like that not so much.

Comment

• Originally Posted by qc2 View Post

i also prefer a bit of character in the ebony, makes it look more woody/natural however i'm fussy about the shaft.
        http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

• Keep forgetting my other RO Cue.

Comment

• i think the black stuff just looks very classy and classic

Comment

• It doesn't make any difference and there are about 3 or 4 different ebony's.
              African ebony is what normally comes up black but can sometimes have light strips too
              For that one you've always wanted...
              https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
                i also prefer a bit of character in the ebony, makes it look more woody/natural however i'm fussy about the shaft.
                yes, there's something about having some texture and character. probably why i'm so keen on getting a cue made up with a full macassar ebony butt

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
                  It doesn't make any difference and there are about 3 or 4 different ebony's.
                  African ebony is what normally comes up black but can sometimes have light strips too
                  We know it doesn't make any difference to how the cue plays, its mainly an aesthetic thing. That's one of the reasons ebano was invented, a jet black ebony substitute that some cue makers are testing out.

Comment

We know it doesn't make any difference to how the cue plays, its mainly an aesthetic thing. That's one of the reasons ebano was invented, a jet black ebony substitute that some cue makers are testing out.
                    I only did as some seemed like they were not sure..
                    I get the aesthetic thing and was just saying you can get jet black (it can start it that way with some but the stripes can show up after a few year's, when it starts to mellow ).
                    Some also said about macassar ebony butt you don't have to go that far too have a little character.
                    For that one you've always wanted...
                    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

• Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
                      I can't remember exactly, but i think the SD joint was around £38, mini butt i think was £25, and extension was i think £35. Could be slightly out here, but as far as i remember that's about right. You could check the website to see if there are exact costs on it.

Yes, now some 27 years old. Time does fly. From being at the Parris shop though and looking at Classic cues of today, the ebony is a different animal. The ebony on this cue is as black as it comes everywhere. The grain is also perfectly straight. I forget his name, but the young guy who makes the Ultimate's was staring at it for a long time, saying he couldn't believe how straight it was. Something else that's odd, is that there are arrows on both sides. There is one negative arrow on the reverse side, but other than that, arrows both sides.

None of that makes a blind bit of difference though, and 27 years ago i don't even remember arrows being a thing. Just strange looking at it now.
                      Thank You, Woody, It is a great looker for sure, it is one of the red glue cues? I guess allot of poeple swear by that telling sign.! I have a Parris Paragon, Black Ebony and Clear white Maple, very straight, I was worried it might move when the maple came back home. I will save up and contact Parris to get this done, I spent to much money to just get anybody to put one in. I have all the sales papers and proof of purchase but it still will not be original if anybody else does it. It is nice to have that little extension when you need it. Enjoy your new cue and if it plays half as good as it looks you have a winner. Cheers
                      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

I never heard of this, will give it a google. Cheers
                        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

• **Post Pictures of your cue!**

could be brand of composite as I think there is another one called something like ebonex
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

There's cue supply places out there selling ebony that's 95-100% black for £48 for 4 19 inch splices. You would think considering the lowest price parris cue is £320 that there would be room to incorporate a reasonable grade of ebony on the butt.
                            Tell me where please as I can't find it as cheap as that.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              could be brand of composite as I think there is another one called something like ebonex
                              https://youtu.be/Cy4p-irAApc
                              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                Its a kind of wooden substitute, doesn't have the weight of ebony but meant to feel a lot like it. Can buy blocks or precut splices of it here https://www.cuemakerssupplies.co.uk/...ocument&part=2

Comment

Working...
                                X