Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the silver cannon match cue ? any ideas pls

Hi,
    I have just bought a cue from a charity shop just because it looked good.
    And now i`ve found myself trying to find out more about it so any help any of you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.
    The cue is a 2 piece (tip end 785mm) (butt end 845mm) total lenghth floor to tip is 1630mm.
    The flat side of the butt end is fitted with a plaque that reads "The Silver Match Cue" by C.C Ltd and has three balls (circles) engraved next to it. This plaque is in hallmarked silver although I havent found my magnifying glass to read the hallmark.
    The cue is on the heavy side and came in a strong locking travel case which has airline baggage stickers on it showing the cue has been all around the world.
    Id love to have any information you might have.
    Many thanks
    Keith

e-mail me some photos and i will see if i can help adr147-at-hotmail-dot-com
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

thanks, pics on their way

keith

Comment

still seeking info....

Hi
        I am still seeking any info on the cue in the original post.
        After enlarging a photo of the makers mark (which is in stirling silver) I have researched the hallmarks and found it to be made in Birmingham in either 1914 or 1939.
        I hope this extra info may help someone help me.
        Many thanks
        Keith

Comment

Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
          Hi
          I am still seeking any info on the cue in the original post.
          After enlarging a photo of the makers mark (which is in stirling silver) I have researched the hallmarks and found it to be made in Birmingham in either 1914 or 1939.
          I hope this extra info may help someone help me.
          Many thanks
          Keith

Hi, I have an old cue catalogue from Anthony Bridge Ltd which is dated March 1983. It shows a Cannon Silver match cue - English ash shaft, Black ebony butt over 4 rosewood splices with a solid silver palque. I think this is the cue you have. Its was then on sale as a 1 piece or 2 piece for £140. One did recently appear on ebay and sold for around £120 mark. Its a really nice cue and was one of the more quality cues from the 80's.
          Jason
          http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Thanks Jason, It does indeed sound like the cue in question.

The silver plaque`s hallmark is an anchor followed by a lion followed by a `P` . several websites show this combination as being made in Birmingham in either 1914 or 1939, so it is confusing as to why this is.
            Many thanks once again to ADR147 and Jason for their help.
            Regards
            Keith

Comment

For anyone that’s interested I have the answer….. couldn’t help myself even though I know this is an ancient post…..

My father was an avid snooker player and was friends with an employee at c c. He bought himself a cue and asked if I wanted one made for my birthday. I only played pool at the time so had a heavier cue made with a larger tip yadayada yadayada

I still have the cue….. a silver match by. C. C. Ltd. I seem to remember it referring to cannon cues. It was made for and was bought it in 1988. The company was based in Birmingham.

god I’m getting old 🤦‍♂️

Comment

Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
                For anyone that’s interested I have the answer….. couldn’t help myself even though I know this is an ancient post…..

My father was an avid snooker player and was friends with an employee at c c. He bought himself a cue and asked if I wanted one made for my birthday. I only played pool at the time so had a heavier cue made with a larger tip yadayada yadayada

I still have the cue….. a silver match by. C. C. Ltd. I seem to remember it referring to cannon cues. It was made for and was bought it in 1988. The company was based in Birmingham.

god I’m getting old 🤦‍♂️

Yes Cannon Cues
                in 1988 the prices ranged from 85 to 118 (with butt joint and extension)

by the way, welcome to TSF

can you do some photos? we like photos here
                the best and easiest way is to use an image-sharing site, for example:
                How to add images to your TSF posts
                You can use a free image-sharing site such as ImgBB, without registering (you can register for free), to upload your images, you may have to do the “not a robot” checks quickly. There are other image sharing sites as well.
                ImgBB.com
                Click on "Start Uploading"
                Browse to the file and select it, click Open
                Auto delete image - leave as "Don't autodelete".
                Click "Upload".
                Change "Embed Codes" to "BBCode full linked".
                Hover over the code in the box, a "COPY" will appear, click this.
                Go to your TSF post and paste.
                You can repeat for multiple images in a single post.
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Comment

Comment

I think that’s it. The harrods cloth was from a trip to London just after I’d had the cue. I’m sure it’s not the greatest cue but it seems well made and is still straight.

i e played 4 games in the last 26 years , all over the last 3 weeks.

id love a new cue (not to be a big man) to try something new….. I’d love some direction or a place I could try a new cue. I’m west mids based.

mart

Comment

It’s rosewood, ebony and ask I think. I seem to remember paying around £140 for it (can imagine a chunk of that was for the lump of silver on the end of it lol

Comment

thanks for the photos
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

N o problem thanks for the welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X