One piece cues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One piece cues.

Ive only ever played and thought about having a 3/4 piece cue.
    but looking on this forum i see most people play with a one piece cue.

what is the difference between a 3/4 piece cue and a one piece cue? i know a 3/4 piece cue has more pieces obviously, but does a one piece perform better or ...?

Stuart
    :snooker:

http://www.handmadecues.com/home/23-1pcorjointed.htm

It's probably in the mind, but one piece cues just feel better when striking the cue ball! I know I'm not crazy in thinking this...am I? lol.
    Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

Well, If you can make a century break with a 1 piece then you can do it with a 3/4, and it's the same the other way round, of course with a 1 pc, you need to carry the long case around with you and not a shorter case. If carrying a longer case dosn't bother you, then buying a 1 pc would get rid of joint problems (not screwing together, dirty, tinny noise etc), but if you get a hand made cue from an expert, there should be no problems. My coach uses a 1 pc cue and he has for about 20 years and when he used my 3/4 jointed cue for a little, he couldn't get used to the different feel, he said he knows no different from a 1 pc. It's really all about what you get used to. The only way a 1 pc would be better than a 3/4 or the other way round would be if you got used to one and not the other, one is not usually better than the other.

Have a look at this link for some more information: http://www.handmadecues.com/home/23-1pcorjointed.htm and http://www.stamfordcuemakers.com/cueinfo.htm

Comment

Ha Ha, when I was posting, you posted LWB and we both reccommended the same link!

Comment

Yes, Ive always had a 3/4 piece. But with playing at my club, Ive formed quite an attachment to a one piece maple. So my first Trevor White cue will be ash 1 piece.

I just hope it fits in my bloody vw polo!

Comment

Isn't it true that one piece and 3/4 are constructed differently other than being one with a joint installed?

While most 3/4 butt cues with the joint installed below the splices have solid hardwood butts, while a one piece would have the splices extended all the way to the butt, is that correct?

May be the way the vibration transmits down the cue to the grip will differ a bit due to the difference in construction and weight distribution?

Just my guess.

I have played with both and like them both, depending on the particular cue rather than anything else really for me.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
              Ha Ha, when I was posting, you posted LWB and we both reccommended the same link!
              Great minds Bongo! Mike's gotta love that lol.
              Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                Isn't it true that one piece and 3/4 are constructed differently other than being one with a joint installed?

While most 3/4 butt cues with the joint installed below the splices have solid hardwood butts, while a one piece would have the splices extended all the way to the butt, is that correct?

May be the way the vibration transmits down the cue to the grip will differ a bit due to the difference in construction and weight distribution?

Just my guess.

I have played with both and like them both, depending on the particular cue rather than anything else really for me.
                I think you are thinking of how machine made and hand made cues are made differently?

Go to 5 minutes in this video, it shows how they are made differently, is that what you mean?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6vrk...eature=related

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
                  I think you are thinking of how machine made and hand made cues are made differently?

Go to 5 minutes in this video, it shows how they are made differently, is that what you mean?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6vrk...eature=related
                  Well, if you look at a one piece hand spliced cue, the splicings go all the way to the end of the cue, while with a 3/4 that has its joints installed below the splicings, the splicings ends at the joint. So, I was just wondering if that means a one piece cue will have a much longer piece of ash/maple than a 3/4? With a 3/4, the ash/maple probably ends at the joint or a bit before. So, the butt end of a 3/4 is most likely solid hardwood although it may be cored. The joint will move the weight forward to offset the butt weight. With a one piece, the splicings have to be spliced onto something, which I would imagine to be ash/maple, so the butt end is likely not solid hard wood, and will be lighter. Will weight be inserted into the front to change the balance I dont know, may be not?

I don't know much about snooker cue, it is just my wild guess. Never really see how a hand spliced cue is built. So, may be I am really off here?

But if my guess is correct, then the balance method and the construction of the two are different. And the effect I can think of as a result of this difference is how the vibration moves down the ash/maple.
                  Last edited by poolqjunkie; 26 May 2008, 10:17 AM.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

ive a got a one piece trev cue, love it , only prob is like people said on here traveling probs.

i just bought an osborne 3/4, seems really heavy compared to my trev cue which is 17.5 and osborne 18.5. i seem to have better touch with my one piece and i seem to cant feel the cue ball with my osborne

but ive only had the osborne under 2 weeks so gotta keep trying it before i discard.

even tho the cue is well made like my trev cue

Comment

can I ask why you use two cues?

Comment

i have been using my trev one piece for a while now, but due to traveling its causing probs. i didnt have the heart to convert it to 3/4.

so recently bought the 3/4 osborne for transport purposes but doesnt not play same as me one piece.

Comment

what travelling problems?

If you ride a pushbike or drive a meshersmit then yeah but is having to put a one piece cue diagonally in the back seat of a car as opposed to flat on it really a problem?

I find it amazing that 99% of those with 3/4 cues complain about the travelling problems of one piece cues when most of them have never tried a one piece yet even more amazing is a guy with a one piece saying there is a problem.

Comment

yeh due to getting the cue stuck between the front seats when getting it in,
                            its harder getting a one piece cue in back of car than it seems, least with a 3/4 ya can chuck it in boot

Comment

Yep im gonna get a one piece, seem to get more power and better feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X