maple or ash ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maple or ash ?

hi everyone my name luke and im new to the site , have been reading other posts and threads over the last week and they,ve been spot on ,
    im about to order a trevor white cue and ive always used ash and was wandering what the difference /pros or cons of ash or maple?
    thanks for your time and look foward to recieving feedback..
    http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

maple or ash

Hi Trigger,
    Good to see you on the site I suspect that if you did a poll the majority of people would opt for ash,it seems to be generally more acceptable.

I can't really tell the difference between them for rigidity,the throw seems to vary between the different timbers the same as it does between different cues of the same wood,some play well and some don't.Where there is a difference I feel is that ash tends to slide through your bridge hand better and more consistently than maple(or any other material I've tried for that matter)

I don't know whether you've ever tried the old Accles and Pollock metal cues or the fibreglass pool sticks but they all seem very sticky to me,maple isn't quite like that but I think you need to towel it more often.That said there's an awful lot of maple users out there who will no doubt disagree with me.

Hope you enjoy your new stick whichever you choose.:snooker:

Comment

if you have always used ash stick to ash.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by trigger666 View Post
        hi everyone my name luke and im new to the site , have been reading other posts and threads over the last week and they,ve been spot on ,
        im about to order a trevor white cue and ive always used ash and was wandering what the difference /pros or cons of ash or maple?
        thanks for your time and look foward to recieving feedback..
        read this:

http://www.handmadecues.com/home/24-ashormaple.htm
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

thanks alot for your comments and advice have taken them on board and will probably stick with ash

thanks luke
          http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

Originally Posted by cocked hat View Post
            Hi Trigger,
            Good to see you on the site I suspect that if you did a poll the majority of people would opt for ash,it seems to be generally more acceptable.

I can't really tell the difference between them for rigidity,the throw seems to vary between the different timbers the same as it does between different cues of the same wood,some play well and some don't.Where there is a difference I feel is that ash tends to slide through your bridge hand better and more consistently than maple(or any other material I've tried for that matter)

I don't know whether you've ever tried the old Accles and Pollock metal cues or the fibreglass pool sticks but they all seem very sticky to me,maple isn't quite like that but I think you need to towel it more often.That said there's an awful lot of maple users out there who will no doubt disagree with me.

Hope you enjoy your new stick whichever you choose.:snooker:
            I'm a maple user and I disagree with you!!!

Maple is much smoother and runs much better than ash in my experience.
            If you've used a sticky maple cue then it's probably had jam on it!!!

The quality of finish will make a difference though!

I stopped using ash because I don't like grain, maple is smoother and ash cues often nip the hair on my chin. This has happened with lots of cues!
            I don't have a big Farther Christmas beard either!

Those Yankee cues with fiber glass on are the work of the devil!!

Comment

It's all down to personal preference, the best thing to do would be to visit a shop (with a table) that has a selection of ash and maple cues and try a couple out and see which you prefer.

I have had both ash and maple playing cues and lean slightly toward ash for feel, however strangely enough I have only made centuries with the 2 maple cues I have owned. This is purely coincedence of course and I am in no way stating that one or the other will guarantee higher breaks.
              Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

I am a maple fan myself.

Having played with a few top cues of both the ash and maple variety, I have regressed to what I started with; which is a maple!! lol

They are smooth, possess no grain, and feel more solid in the strike.

Comment

Working...
                X