Maple Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple Cues

I have a John Spencer, Maple cue. I've used it for over 25 years & need a new one.

I want one of a similar kind. i.e maple, 17 3/4 oz.

I tried a Barricuder Gold, ash cue but couldn't get on with it at all. I don't wat to pay more than £75

Any suggestions?

First thought would be are you sure you need a new one? Keep in mind an expert could probably make that cue feel new again for less than buying a new one.
    Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

chances are that it's an Adam cue originating from Canada - they were top of the range at the time - to get a cue of this quality now you're looking at a top handmade cue from one of the better cue makers - and you'll be looking at in excess of £200 for something similar
      www.cuemaker.co.uk

Comment

Trevor or Mike would be great options for you.

Comment

Originally Posted by keith auld View Post
          chances are that it's an Adam cue originating from Canada - they were top of the range at the time - to get a cue of this quality now you're looking at a top handmade cue from one of the better cue makers - and you'll be looking at in excess of £200 for something similar
          if it is an adam, i beg to differ. they may have been 'so-called' top of the range but a mate of mine has one and it's a pile of sh*te...

like anything mass produced, there will be good and bad. my mate has a bad one.

you may have had a good one topicalkeith, but it all depends what you're expecting for your money now. as keith rightly points out, you'll need to fork out a lot more than £75 to get something that's high quality by todays standards...
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance, who's Trevor & Mike?

Comment

Trevor White- TREVS1 on the forum and Mike Wooldridge.

In most peoples opinion the number 1 cuemakers in the world.

Either one will make you a fantastic cue, I couldnt split them for quality both are class acts..
              Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Originally Posted by keith auld View Post
                I think Adam cues were made in Asia?
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

adam cues are now made in china and are part of dave fishers empire but it was not always the case.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Adam cues probably are made in Asia these days, but 25 years ago they were made in Canada and I agree with Mike, as with any mass produced cue you're likely to have the odd bad one; but of the cues I used to sell out of my shop in Wimbledon at that time, the Adam cues seemed to be better than most and were the flagship cues of the original BCE (Bristol Coin Equipment) company in this country at that time
                    www.cuemaker.co.uk

Comment

maple cue

Hi snooker fans Cliff Thorburn use to play with a adam cue and at the time John Spencer came to Canada and he was one of the first British Players to play with a two piece cue and Spencer won the World Champs do not know the year and it was Cliff Thorburn who told Spencer to buy a two piece cue

Comment

maple cue

hi snooker fans Cliff Thorburn use to play with a adam cue at the time many years ago. Also when John Spencer broke his cue Cliff told John Spencer when he was in Canada to buy a two piece cue which was made in Canada and with that two piece cue he won the World Champs do not know the year. Spencer was the first British player to play with a two piece cue.

Comment

Thanks for confirming the origins of Adam cues - shame they didn't carry on making them in Canada - I still think that on the whole they were quality cues and were responsible for the popularity now of Canadain Maple being used in cues
                          www.cuemaker.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by Burwat Champ View Post
                            Trevor White and Mike Wooldridge.

In most peoples opinion the number 1 cuemakers in the world.
                            just wondering BC where you collected / read these opinions and how many peoples opinions were included?

on this forum id say its probably the case, but in general i doubt it. IMO

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer View Post
                              just wondering BC where you collected / read these opinions and how many peoples opinions were included?

on this forum id say its probably the case, but in general i doubt it. IMO

You might have a point here Semih, but I'd say it was more his own opinion than as a result of a Global poll he's carried out.

I would agree there appears to be a bias towards Mike and myself on this forum, but this is possibly more due to the fact that people see us here, discuss us here and recommend us here quite openly. Whether that be through their perceived knowledge or actual personal experience is open to debate. I think it goes some way to show how this works when we look at Keith Auld. Since Keith has come along, it would appear he also has people saying similar positive things about him, if we look at it, he was never mentioned before his arrival to this forum.

When we bare the above point in mind, what you say about the apparent influence of this forum, kind of holds up.

At the end of the day, these are just words and opinions, and, while many might take notice of what gets promoted or given positive feedback on this forum, I'm quite sure that the majority who view these threads are able to assess for themselves who has a good, or perhaps not so good, a reputation.
                              The debate over who is 'best' is in many ways perhaps irrelevant, as it is the good reputation that people seem to take more notice of.

Personally, I don't think there is a 'best' as such, but more like a few who are very good at their craft.

Comment

Working...
                              X