Reach for the sandpaper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reach for the sandpaper.

If you have a minibutt thats ebony and stained or painted (many I presume are as most cuemakers save their jet black ebony for the cues themselves) then reach for the sandpaper. I did and was pleasantly suprised...

If this is the "before" pic, where is the "after" shot?
    Give'em hell, Mark :snooker:

Comment

Wity is that from the UK or Thai range of Craftsman cues.

Comment

Badge says classic so i presume its a Thai cue.
        http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Wity have you ever bought anything and not tried to destroy it in the first 5 mins!

Comment

Erm lemme think...

A wife ? Took me 10 years before I realised she was the wrong one.

LOL Took her 15 yeas to find another sucker, she got remarried last saturday.

I got the sandpaper out about 5 mins after i'd had it actually, on the back of the butt there were three little spots like blisters and I initially thought they were just bits of wax but scratching at them with my fingernail they got more unsightly as you would expect with varnish or lacquer. Wether or not it was a layer of wax that had been applied perhaps hot / dipped or whatever I really dont know but the only way to be rid of it I felt was by sanding it.
            I only did so with 0000 wire wool very lightly just enough to remove it then after oiling it overnight used some 4000 6000 and 12000 grit micropapers to remove any and all traces of scratches so it's as mirror like smooth as you could imagine. Anyways now it's perfect and has pure english beeswax as a final coat which smells far nicer than any Thai stuff. (If it was finished in Thai that is as far as I know they are finished off in Leeds).

Wasn't till a few days later that i realised the mini butt was stained and felt perhaps a bit ripped off as the site does actually say ebony butt included but when I really sanded that down firstly with the coarse stuff I realised it was ebony and to be honest i reckon the natural look akin to flames in this case is as attractive as any bit of wood you can imagine.

I've pondered over buying this cue for ages now not really 100% sure till I saw another photo of one on ebay which looked far better than the one on Craftsmans site (the burl was in that one and in mine far darker and generally overall the cue looked better) and asked ADR if he'd get one with my spec which has got fussier and fussier since I signed up here at TSF. He's done me proud on that score and the actual price but for a cue with a total of 28 splices including perfectly matching amboyna burl at the retail price of £160 I was willing to go for their pro shaft at the extra £60 which would have tuned out to be a waste as this shaft really is top knotch.

I'll post some pics in a mo if i can get some to come out right. Showing the grain and v's I always find is a bit awkward.

Comment

Working...
            X