Snooker cue profit margin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker cue profit margin

HI, just curious to know, what is the profit margin for a snooker cue being sold? Some of the cues are as expensive as 200-400pounds, how much can a cue maker makes for the net profit for each cue?

does not work like that - each cue is different and each takes a different amount of time so its not possible to put an exact figure on it.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

As ADR says its not possible to put an exact figure on it but even if they can I don't think they'd actually like to say. Lets just say there is a decent amount of profit in it, for example a 1 piece plain ash and Ebony cue, the materials alone would probably cost less than £40 yet most places the cheapest you'll get such a cue is around £140 up to £400 so I'd like the more expensive places to justify that. Not looking for an argument btw before anyone comes on the defensive, I just think its amazing how you can have such a big range like that for near enough the same product and raw materials!

Comment

Doesn't amaze me, posers pay over the top for the lable always have always will.

Comment

You're paying for the time it takes someone to make the cue.

The more skillful the craftsman, the more you pay for his time.

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
            You're paying for the time it takes someone to make the cue.

The more skillful the craftsman, the more you pay for his time.

Or more accurately, you're paying the amount the maker either wants or needs to charge for the product.

Comment

It is the price customer willing to pay to get the cue from certain cuemaker. The price is determined by demand and supply really. If certain cuemake does not worth that price, the market will tell. He will have to reduce his price or otherwise leave the industry like Keith Auld. It applies to performing art industry as well.

If anyone thinks that he can make a cue as good as a cuemaker, he can buy the wood and do it himself. It is as simple as that.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                As ADR says its not possible to put an exact figure on it but even if they can I don't think they'd actually like to say. Lets just say there is a decent amount of profit in it, for example a 1 piece plain ash and Ebony cue, the materials alone would probably cost less than £40 yet most places the cheapest you'll get such a cue is around £140 up to £400 so I'd like the more expensive places to justify that. Not looking for an argument btw before anyone comes on the defensive, I just think its amazing how you can have such a big range like that for near enough the same product and raw materials!
                simple the time taken is not the same.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                  simple the time taken is not the same.
                  So what if that cue maker says it takes X amount of time and therefore will cost you X amount of money but surely that doesn't alone lead to a better quality cue just because the time taken is longer. What if someone is very slow or lazy, should they be able to charge more just because they take their time? I don't think anyone charging over £200 for a plain ash/ebony cue can justify it even then its pushing it but then that's only my opinion.

Comment

Well, the materials are more or less the same yes, but, there are a few factors to take into consideration.

The sourcing of the timber for shafts for example is more of a selected process with some makers than others, and so, this does kind of lead to more waste for one, than it does for another. Having said that, I wouldn't argue that a piece of ash is still a piece of ash, but it does have cost implications if you're going to be quite choosy over what is acceptable or not.

As for maunfacturing processes, well, as many of us will know, different makers will claim to use various techniques, so this again is an area where costs are variable when some of the skills employed are quite different.

Also, some makers are tied up in making to order only, whereby virtually all their work is made to specific requirements. Some are far more accurate in producing a product which does actually follow the specs given by the individual customer, and so, the time and effort taken in getting this more correct is greater than that of just making to a certain 'set' shape and size to sell on a 'stock' cues.

I could go on and on here, but I won't.

Still though, it does sound like a LOT of money when some makers are charging over £550 for simple one piece custom built cue, made with the plain ebony butt.

Comment

So what if that cue maker says it takes X amount of time and therefore will cost you X amount of money but surely that doesn't alone lead to a better quality cue just because the time taken is longer. What if someone is very slow or lazy, should they be able to charge more just because they take their time? I don't think anyone charging over £200 for a plain ash/ebony cue can justify it even then its pushing it but then that's only my opinion.
                      i think 200 for a plain ash and ebony cue that is well made in the uk is cheap.

Comment

Given the cost of overheads in business today and the fact that cues prices have not incresed a great deal over the years (unless your making a special cue what ever that is)£250 to £300 is a good price for a handmade cue. Certain London cue makers in the 80s were getting £250 for cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by platt View Post
                          Given the cost of overheads in business today and the fact that cues prices have not incresed a great deal over the years (unless your making a special cue what ever that is)£250 to £300 is a good price for a handmade cue. Certain London cue makers in the 80s were getting £250 for cue.
                          I came back to the UK after three years working in the middle-east back in the mid 1980s and I wanted to treat myself to a lovely new hand made cue so I contacted Hunt & Obyrne and they sent me their brochure and price list. Their 'hand made to your own spec' black badge cues were £500 back in 1985!! I ended up going to John Parris and he handmade me a cue for about £300.

So prices have hardly changed in 25 years.
                          'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

wow £500 bk in 1980's!

thought i was off me tree paying £500 for a black plate recently

Comment

Why do people need to know how much someone is making out of them?

If you need/want a cue and your willing/happy to pay X amount for something then just pay it and enjoy it....
                              Highest Break
                              Practice: 136 (2005)
                              Match: 134 (2006)
                              In 2011: 94
                              Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Working...
                              X