looking to buy a new cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy a new cue

hi, im looking to buy a new cue, been playing with a rileys paul hunter argos special for couple years now( dont laugh) and due to the shaft not being smooth and the weight falling out the bottom the wife said she would buy me a new cue for xmas(aaah bless). ive been trawling through the forums due to the lack of a good shop in glasgow and for my price range (150pds) everyone seems to be pointing towards craftsman cues, could anyone offer me some advice/experience with these cues please? ive been looking at the classic range (legend and classic),any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

xmas has passed :P
    craftsman, mastercraft, welshpool are some

Comment

Craftsman are good value, better if you can visit to try the cues out.
      Been there a few times, two lads on my team have cues from there.

I always would prefer to visit if I didn't want an exact spec. Greenbaize in Stockton are also good to visit.

ADR147 on here is Scottish and sell cues so might be able to help you out too.

Comment

Best bet is Craftsman really, Mastercraft can be very hit and miss but then again buying any cue is a risk without trying first. If it were me with that budget Craftsman would be my pick.

Comment

Well I've been using the same £30 Ronnie O'Sullivan cue from argos for 2 years, made a few centuries with it, I love the feel of it

Comment

good point nickt, i currently play with a north west cue and its great, but i have yet to play better snooker with it than i did with my cheapo one.

i think we all get carried away with getting the best possible cue (or perhaps more likely the best possible name on the butt!) but its the person using said cue that has the most impact.

saying that im currently contemplating a trevor white!

Comment

I think at the end of the day its all down to the feel, as long as it's of a half decent quality (like ash wood or maple at least) then it might be the right cue for you. And also a good tip on the cue is essential, im playing with talisman tips which are absolutely magic. The tip alone is worth 17.5-18% as much as the cue itself!

Comment

Originally Posted by NickT View Post
                I think at the end of the day its all down to the feel, as long as it's of a half decent quality (like ash wood or maple at least) then it might be the right cue for you. And also a good tip on the cue is essential, im playing with talisman tips which are absolutely magic. The tip alone is worth 17.5-18% as much as the cue itself!
                I think also just finding what you look for in a cue, such as the weight, length etc. can really help your choice.

Comment

thanks for your advice, nick i agree with what you are saying, being over 6ft should i be looking for a longer cue say 59' and whats everyones opinion on what the weight of the cue should be? i would say i prefer a med to heavy cue so what would be the ideal one for me ?

Comment

the most commonly used weight is 17.5 ounces, its very medium, neither too light nor too heavy.

Comment

Originally Posted by NickT View Post
                      the most commonly used weight is 17.5 ounces, its very medium, neither too light nor too heavy.
                      I would say 18ish as middle, all personal pref though. My cue is under 17 Jimmy Whites is over 20. Balance point is just as important. If you don't know these things you have to try a range of cues out.

How much over 6ft are you?
                      There have been many a discussion about long cue lengths before and it seems that they can start being whippy much over 58 and it's generally discouraged.

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford View Post
                        I would say 18ish as middle, all personal pref though. My cue is under 17 Jimmy Whites is over 20. Balance point is just as important. If you don't know these things you have to try a range of cues out.

How much over 6ft are you?
                        There have been many a discussion about long cue lengths before and it seems that they can start being whippy much over 58 and it's generally discouraged.
                        correct 18-18.5 - where do you live?
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

i live in glasgow,im 6'1 and play left handed if that makes a difference

Comment

Originally Posted by wardy1967 View Post
                            You'll be needing south paw ash then

I'm 6' and mine is 58 I can play fine and I don't hold it right at the end.

Comment

Originally Posted by wardy1967 View Post
                              LMAO! Sorry you just reminded me of a guy i sent to cue shop to ask for a left handed cue!

Also got people to go out and ask for:

Sky hooks (Work experience)
                              Elbow grease
                              Banana peeler (Missus got had on that one)
                              and a long weight (Same work experience guy)
                              sigpic <---New Website
                              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X