My cue again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cue again

So the saga with my lovely ADR147 1 piece cue goes on, went to craftsman cues today to get advice on what to do about the shaft sticking to my bridge hand (which is driving me nuts, especially when it start squeaking) they have said it needs the lacquer taking off, to which i said it is not lacquered, at which point they pointed out to me how shiny the cue is all along its length and said that that is lacquered, anyway they will now sand it down and wax it for me, also adjust the ferrule so it sits flush with the shaft, but the biggest issue i have is the fact that the butt of the cue has a minor crack in it, this runs from the metal insert where the mini but screws in, i was told not to worry to much about it, as this has BEEN REPAIRED BEFORE, as i bought the cue new from a shop, i was a gob smacked by this, and asked them what they meant, they said that the crack has already been repaired they can see where it has been glued, but as the crack is in the middle of the cue and not on one of the splice joints, when it does eventually re crack it will travel a long way up the cue. I am in no way trying to have a go at ADR, nor at his reputation, but the people who made this cue where in a rush i presume, so unfortunately for me the old adage of once bitten twice shy, will be my motto now, maybe look at getting a Peradon or similar from craftsman, this cue has become a bit expensive lol.

You might as well stick with it now you've paid out to get all the issues sorted. It's not ususual to get a little cracking, it shouldn't open up any time soon if it's reglued properly

Comment

So why did you think it wasn't lacquered when people who deal with cues every day said it was ?

Comment

I had said in a previous post that the lacquer was starting to peel, but was told it was not lacquered, but had a sanding sealer on it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Carpy2009 View Post
          I had said in a previous post that the lacquer was starting to peel, but was told it was not lacquered, but had a sanding sealer on it.
          A lot of sanding sealer is lacquer based, but with an additional component. The difference is, sanding sealer is designed to seal, not as a coating like lacquer is. It should be applied, and the majority sanded off, so the pores are filled but the rest of the wood is then ready for waxing.

It sounds like, either, your cue was lacquered, or has been finished with a lacquer based sealant which hasn't then been sanded back (so essentially lacquered).
          Last edited by Mark187187; 13 July 2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Well got my cue back today from Craftsman cues, and what a difference, it is silky smooth, the ferrule fits nice and flush, and a nice new tip on it as well, the only problem now is the tinny sound i get on some shots, which i have been told is caused by the crack in the butt, not sure what to do about that, may have to go back to where i bought the cue from and see what they say, now that i know it is there i am always waiting for the horrid sound on every shot i play, so concentrating on each shot is a bit hard, the only down side to taking it back is the cost of getting there due to not driving.

Comment

Fixing a crack is fairly easy. Put some super glue in the fridge overnight, fill the crack with it scraping any excess, leave to fully dry and then sand flush. You can also use an epoxy putty, such as milliput, instead of superglue. Either way should stabilise the crack to stop it spreading, and stop the noise.

Comment

The crack at the butt end of the cue can be fixed easily. I did it too. You can see more here:

https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...end-of-the-cue

Comment

Cheers for all the advice, the crack is not as bad as yours fkhan, so will just keep an eye on it for now, if it gets any worse then i know what to do.
                  cheers Carpy

Comment

Working...
                  X