Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with info about Stuart Surridge cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with info about Stuart Surridge cues?

I am curious if anyone here knows any info about Stuart Surridge cues? Are they a decent quality cue? Are, or were they ever made in England, or where were these cues made? Thanks for any info about Stuart Surridge cues . I am new to Snooker cues, so I really do not know anything about them, or what to look for in a good quality Snooker cue. Also, what price point would you say a decent / good quality Snooker cue would start at? Thanks.
    Starts
    13 December 2019
    Ends
    13 December 2019

Well if you want to buy one it's either eBay or maybe Oxfam shops...

Stuart Surridge was an English cricketer more famous for his cricket bats than snooker cues. I think these were made around the early eighties and were pretty a decent cue for an average player of that time.

Today's equivalent is probably something like a Woods cue or maybe a Dunns cue which usually start around the ?75 pound mark. The next level up is probably a Phoenix master cue or Master cue pro butt which are around ?125 pounds UK side.

Good luck finding a cue. :snooker:
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Never seen one so can not tell you about the cues themselves, but as each cue feels different to different people, if you like it and it works for you...

Stuart Surridge was the cricket caption of Surrey back in the 50s and he had a sporting goods shop in Essex and a good reputation for his cricket bats.
      During the 70s he imported cues from Canada and some where laminated ash shafts, many (if no nearly all) were 2pc cues.

Hope someone with experience of the cues themselves pops on

[beaten to the post
      cheers CC]
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        Well if you want to buy one it's either eBay or maybe Oxfam shops...

Stuart Surridge was an English cricketer more famous for his cricket bats than snooker cues. I think these were made around the early eighties and were pretty a decent cue for an average player of that time.

Today's equivalent is probably something like a Woods cue or maybe a Dunns cue which usually start around the ?75 pound mark. The next level up is probably a Phoenix master cue or Master cue pro butt which are around ?125 pounds UK side.

Good luck finding a cue. :snooker:
        Hello,

Thanks for your reply. So, would a Woods or Dunn's cue probably be of better quality then a vintage
        Stuart Surridge cue? I would really like to get a good quality, made in England cue. Something that are made with nice looking woods (like Burl or Ebony for example), and not painted over. The hit is really most important to me though. I assume that a 1 piece would offer the best hit? Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Never seen one so can not tell you about the cues themselves, but as each cue feels different to different people, if you like it and it works for you...

Stuart Surridge was the cricket caption of Surrey back in the 50s and he had a sporting goods shop in Essex and a good reputation for his cricket bats.
          During the 70s he imported cues from Canada and some where laminated ash shafts, many (if no nearly all) were 2pc cues.

Hope someone with experience of the cues themselves pops on

[beaten to the post
          cheers CC]
          So, his cues were probably made in Canada? I seen one on ebay for 20 Pounds. Is has a Maple shaft, and a wooden screw on the shaft section (like you would see on Carom cues). I know it is not much money, but I do not want to buy anything that is of junk quality. If they were made in Canada, then I assume they were at least decent quality. I do not know though. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

considering that many maple cues (especially in the 60s/70s) were/are made from Canadian maple...
            it is difficult to buy blind, good luck
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by onepocketkid386 View Post

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. So, would a Woods or Dunn's cue probably be of better quality then a vintage
              Stuart Surridge cue? I would really like to get a good quality, made in England cue. Something that are made with nice looking woods (like Burl or Ebony for example), and not painted over. The hit is really most important to me though. I assume that a 1 piece would offer the best hit? Thanks for your time.
              IMO yes, the SS cues will be so old it's going to be difficult to get a good one, bit of a lottery. The team I play in has a young guy who bought a Woods cue as a starter cue and plays great with it. The ash shaft is very nice and the woods used are real not painted. It's commonly thought a one piece is the purest hit, however I've used both and currently have a 3/4 cue that I'm very happy with.

If if you can "try before you buy" that is always recommended.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I have just purchased a Stuart Surridge 3 piece cue., can any one tell me how much it may be worth?

Comment

Originally Posted by Dav2257 View Post
                  I have just purchased a Stuart Surridge 3 piece cue., can any one tell me how much it may be worth?
                  Don't get too excited, if you paid £5 you are about £20 up.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                  X