Cue weight and balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue weight and balance

Hi all, I have been playing with an ADR 1 piece cue for almost a year now, and must say it is a great cue. My question is, when I am playing with the cue I sometimes feel that the cue is lacking a bit of weight further up the cue towards my bridge hand, (hope that makes sense), the overall weight of the cue is ok for me, is this feeling down to the balance point? and can I do anything about it besides getting another cue?. I really can't afford to be spending another ?200 - ?300 on a new cue, (although I do fancy a Maximus Legend plus lol ) .

Cheers Carpy

I had an ADR cue, great cue but like you was interested in trying a more forward weighted cue. Ive got a Maximus immortal now and its a great feeling cue, im fairly certain that most if not all Maximus cues are built this way with the balance point up around 18/19 inches from the butt end. They play very solid generally with little in the way of twangy or whippyness etc.

If you can try one out before buying so you know what you getting, they do play differently to more traditional cues. I have to say quality is superb and I love mine.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Carpy2009 View Post
      Hi all, I have been playing with an ADR 1 piece cue for almost a year now, and must say it is a great cue. My question is, when I am playing with the cue I sometimes feel that the cue is lacking a bit of weight further up the cue towards my bridge hand, (hope that makes sense), the overall weight of the cue is ok for me, is this feeling down to the balance point? and can I do anything about it besides getting another cue?. I really can't afford to be spending another ?200 - ?300 on a new cue, (although I do fancy a Maximus Legend plus lol ) .

Cheers Carpy
      I have a Maximus Legend Plus weighing 18.4 oz. Mine I feel sometimes is light towards the bridge hand and can lift slightly off the bridge when playing shots with power. On the flip side if you're a touch player (which I am) then a light cue at the bridge give you more feel I think.
      Maximus Legend Plus : Ebony butt with Ovangkol front wedge and thick maple veneer : Premium ash shaft : Tip 9.45 mm Talisman Trinity Soft, length 58″, weight 18.4 oz, butt diameter 29.4 mm, balance 18″

Comment

Originally Posted by sk1nnym0nkey View Post

I have a Maximus Legend Plus weighing 18.4 oz. Mine I feel sometimes is light towards the bridge hand and can lift slightly off the bridge when playing shots with power. On the flip side if you're a touch player (which I am) then a light cue at the bridge give you more feel I think.
        I think the touch I have can only be described as like an Elephant, just trying to find out if a balance point further up the shaft would give me a touch more weight forward???.

Comment

Cheers Carpy
          Altering the balance of a one piece cue would be a job that entails a part or total re-splice of the butt to remove and shift the weight, yet I have seen some cues that have been drilled and plugged with lead just above the splices; the plugs are quite visible but do their job and shouldn't fall out if done properly.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

To see if you really do want to change the weight and balance you can get sticky lead-tape which you can try in different amounts and places and play with for some time each trial to see what you like, and then take it all off and see if you like the cue as it is

As said above, adding weight and balancing is not a simple simple and I am sure any cuemaker will say they will not be liable if something goes drastically wrong!
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

So it looks like a new cue may be needed, (just need to save some cash first). I have just checked my cue and the balance point is around the 15 - 16 inch mark, if I want a touch more weight at the front of the cue, do I need the balance point moved forward to @ 18" or backwards to say @ 14" ?. My brain just doesn't seem to want to work at the moment.

cheers Carpy

Comment

So it looks like a new cue may be needed, (just need to save some cash first). I have just checked my cue and the balance point is around the 15 - 16 inch mark, if I want a touch more weight at the front of the cue, do I need the balance point moved forward to @ 18" or backwards to say @ 14" ?. My brain just doesn't seem to want to work at the moment.

cheers Carpy
                15-16"? - most of mine are around 17" most cues are 17-17.5 ish.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Only balanced the cue on my finger and marked with chalk, so it is a really rough estimate Andrew, you know your cues better than me so if you say 17inch, then that is what it is lol. On a side note I just fitted my first laminated tip on the cue, had an itch that needed to be scratched, was using a Century G3 but found it a bit not soft but not quite hard enough, see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X