• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strachan No.10 vs Strachan Tournament Gold

which is faster. which is does last longer? differences? regards

No 10 is slightly faster, but the tournament gold is harder wearing

Comment

what did they play in the alex higgins steve davis time? cloth looks slower.

Comment

Originally Posted by Reini0100 View Post
        what did they play in the alex higgins steve davis time? cloth looks slower.
        No 10 was also used through the 80s, but todays number 10 is 30oz and in the 80s was nearer 35oz so would have played slower

Comment

and no 10 cloth 35 oz compared to tournament Gold in speedness?

Comment

Originally Posted by Reini0100 View Post
            and no 10 cloth 35 oz compared to tournament Gold in speedness?
            Used both over the years ,currently got 6811 30 oz tournament ,but have had a couple of no 10 cloths over the years .No 10 plays good and fast straight out the box 6811 plays ok but plays much faster t after its been stretched ( had mine done after 6 months) ,No10 did not play as well after it had been stretched ,there is less nap so maybe that is why it wasn't so good ,after all its designed really to be used as it is with out stretching so its nice and fast for tv events .Years ago we had no 10 on the match table once at the club and to be fair it lasted ok ,but it went the same ,its better when its new .6811 is better I think ,keep if well brushed, blocked and ironed, and after a stretch it really does come in to its own ,my table is playing fast with it ,but I have good consistent heat and steel cushions ,so there is more at play than just the cloth .No 10 tended to wear around the pocket openings more ,also if you do go for no 10 its best to fit 6811 on the cushions ,most fitters will recommend this anyway . For me 6811 tournament is the best for home or match table club use ,after its stretched its as good as no 10. I think .

Comment

Stretch before first installing when its New or after a Few month playing and the Stretching?

Comment

The fitters obviously have to stretch it to fit it from new but I don’t think you can stretch it to it’s Max potential because it’s a little thicker than the no.10. As the cloth relaxes over the first few months from its initial fit it’s recommended to have a re-stretch, this 2nd stretch allows the fitter to then get that maximum stretch out of the cloth, hence the cloth is then a little more responsive/faster...

With the above in mind I haven’t permanently marked the D or spots on my own table...so after the re-stretch I don’t get duel line markings.
                Last edited by Danger Steve; 21 November 2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Yes stretching after a few months ,once the cloth had been stretched it want come any looser , you can tell when your new cloth needs stretching as with pressures you can feel and see the cloth moving under your fingers tips .As for marking out the D line as Steve says don’t use anything permanent ,I use white glass marking pencils ,a box of 10 costs about ?5.00; I use them even after the stretch and re mark the table out every couple of weeks .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                    Yes stretching after a few months ,once the cloth had been stretched it want come any looser , you can tell when your new cloth needs stretching as with pressures you can feel and see the cloth moving under your fingers tips .As for marking out the D line as Steve says don’t use anything permanent ,I use white glass marking pencils ,a box of 10 costs about ?5.00; I use them even after the stretch and re mark the table out every couple of weeks .
                    Do you use the white spots Mikee?? I have a pack but not tried them yet...

Comment

Yes Steve, small 8 mill ones ,From Amazon ,just normal spots ,I learnt the hard way not having spots on the table ,you end up with the spotted area wearing out and destroying the cloth .If you want an example of a worn table ,that break from life bloke is perfect ,his black ball sits on the spot like an egg in an egg cup ,and rolls off all over it .

Comment

Working...
                      X