Hiring a table iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring a table iron

I don't want to fork out £200 on an iron if I can help it - renting one day a month seems a far more sensible solution. Anyone know if this is possible and/or heard of any clubs doing this?

Cheers.

I use my wifes iron, just make sure it's not too hot and keep it away form the cusions!
    “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

Really? I thought it was a big 'no no' to use a normal iron as it was likely to mark /stripe the cloth.

How often do you do this? Ta.

Comment

I have done this about 4 times since I got a new cloth put on the table in early December. The table fitter told me it would be fine and to iron it like you would "iron a jumper" from baulk to top. It's worked fine so far, even though I have never ironed a jumper in my life! I think the only difference is that table irons are square to make the job as easy as as possilbe and most are thermostatically controlled.
        “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

Thanks a lot. Will give it a try on a very low setting.

Will have to ask the wife about how to iron a jumper first though!

Comment

Low and take all the water out.
            I do it occasionally. Never been a problem. Sue Thompson former world 8 ball champ does it all the time I hear.
            Social club, Labour Club etc. is more likely to lend you than a snooker club in my experience.

Comment

Look on ebay for an old billiard flat iron , these can be picked up for around £10 to £20 , place on a Hob (electric or gas ), use old billiard cloth to test for heat before useing on table , if it scorches old cloth do not iron the bed , you will have to use a cloth around the handle as heat travels up the iron . as someone has stated try and keep a fraction off the cushion as heat can damage cushion rubber over time . and also dragging iron against cushion cloth will wear the cloth through .
              These old flat irons have thicker plates , they are heavy , and do a better job than the modern electric iron as the plate stays true and will not warp .
              Many modern irons are warped , the thickness of the bottom recessed plate is only around 1/8th , many people put the lead into the iron with it being face down on its heat resisting pad stand , ALWAYS have the iron on its edge on its stand with lead plugged in from the side , this lets the heat get away from the face plate and prevents warping . After use still stand the iron on its edge to let it cool down .
              Dowsing never tell people to do this , but a good fitter will .
              thermostats are the weakness in Dowsing irons , Ive seen many a lazy Billiard hall assistant'barman just leave the iron on all day , some times forgetting that the iron is on , the thermostat is overworked and burns out , Dowsing charge in excess of £80 to repair it .
              one point keep away from chinese made irons . they look like dowsing irons but are very inferior .
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 25 March 2009, 08:50 AM.
              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Working...
              X