Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club cut slate vs Italian slate

Hi there,

I was just wondering if these two are the same across Riley tables. I noticed that Italian slate is mentioned only for the Aristocrat models. The rest mention the club cut slate on their website.
    Last edited by fkhan; 28 September 2021, 09:22 AM.

Not sure what your getting at ,slates are cut to club or match standards ,it doesn’t really come in to it where the slate is taken from .If your looking at BCE/Riley site , the Aristricrat is made in the Uk ,lots of the other cheaper tables in their line up are made in China and have inferior soft Chinese slate that is not really up to much ,bit like the Star table .Welsh and Irish slate is the best but it’s not used any more as there is no call for it ,the mines won’t open because no one really has slate roofs any more .Italian slate is the next best you can still get .A modern match cut slate fall is somewhere around a quarter inch further in to the pocket .
    Last edited by mikee; 13 September 2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks. If I understand it right, only Aristocrat uses Italian slates and their other models use chinese slates. Is that right?
      Last edited by fkhan; 13 September 2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Pretty much yes

Comment

Thank you. I am planning to buy a used full size table with Italian/Welsh/Irish slates. This will help me stay clear of the Chinese/Brazilian slate tables (Star, Wiraka, Rasson, Shender).

Comment

The Rasson table is pretty good I’m told ,not seen one yet but it has a 36 point levelling system with good under table support ,if you have a retro style modern room it would fit in quite nice ,and their not silly money either .Keep clear of the Riley table on their site which is the re introduction of the Westbury ,this is not a BCE Westbury ,it’s a cheap knock off ,and the only thing remotely the same as the original is the leg shape .Modern tables are better to buy reconditioned ,save money ,or ex championship tables .If your looking for older tables then Pre 70’s tables can be had cheap and you should get Welsh slate .What I would say is read up on tables and look at what you like or have played on before ,if you do go for an old table make sure you fit an adjustable centre slate bearer ,this really is essential on any table and it’s a cheap mod .Get a British table to be on the safe side ,they use quality products .

Comment

Our club took down an old table pre pandemic and replaced it with two pool tables, couldn't give it away and it's still languishing in pieces under one of the others. Best table in the club I thought, but no, take that one down and leave the one that isn't level and is falling to pieces, bloody committees
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                Our club took down an old table pre pandemic and replaced it with two pool tables, couldn't give it away and it's still languishing in pieces under one of the others. Best table in the club I thought, but no, take that one down and leave the one that isn't level and is falling to pieces, bloody committees
                That's sad. Which table is it?

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

That's sad. Which table is it?
                  No nameplate on it so have no idea.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

A little out of topic here sorry but I could not help it. It's pretty damn scary and entertaining too. I wonder how many B&W tables slates came out of those mines.

https://youtu.be/xq8XoyK--tQ

Comment

A little out of topic here sorry but I could not help it. It's pretty damn scary and entertaining too. I wonder how many B&W tables slates came out of those mines.

https://youtu.be/xq8XoyK--tQ
                      Most of them I would say

Comment

I stumbled upon this website. I am hoping if any of our experts here could confirm if these guys are the ones who supply slates for the Riley Aristocrats. I am thinking if I can't import a used table from the UK, I could contact them about just importing the slates. I could purchase a table locally and marry the two together.

https://www.mondialardesia.it/en/p/p...labs-2217.html
                        Last edited by fkhan; 27 September 2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Italian slate is the best you can get now ,what I would say if your thinking of getting a table and slate separately ,be carful what table you get .Cushions and slates on old tables have 5 bolt holes on the side cushions and 6 on the top and bottom ,newer 1980 onwards tables have 6 bolt bolt holes on every cushion and slate .

Comment

I stumbled upon this website. I am hoping if any of our experts here could confirm if these guys are the ones who supply slates for the Riley Aristocrats. I am thinking if I can't import a used table from the UK, I could contact them about just importing the slates. I could purchase a table locally and marry the two together.

https://www.mondialardesia.it/en/p/p...labs-2217.html
                            You don’t need to import slates yourself, I had a quote last year when I was thinking about renovating another Aristocrat table and there was a company up north who could provide new slates for I think 5 or 600 quid?

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                              Italian slate is the best you can get now ,what I would say if your thinking of getting a table and slate separately ,be carful what table you get .Cushions and slates on old tables have 5 bolt holes on the side cushions and 6 on the top and bottom ,newer 1980 onwards tables have 6 bolt bolt holes on every cushion and slate .
                              Thank you. That will surely help.

Comment

Working...
                              X