Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass-bedded table with a felt substitute - a material revolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"No drinking or Smoking Over the Table". So reads the annoying sign in any bar with a pool table, a killjoy message which destroys the whole point of playing the game.
    The writer of the article doesn't have a clue...

EDIT - someone has already mentioned it!

Comment

I have wondered why slate is still the best material for a pool table in 2009.
      Surely a table-sized surface that is lightweight and dent-proof can be fabricated out of any number of hi-tech materials in a dimensonally stable honeycomb-type structure...

Any thoughts?

=o)

Noel

Comment

very good point noel :snooker::snooker::snooker:

Comment

Must be quite weird to play on glass and not on regular cloth. But this price is definitely not for me.
          sigpic

Want a graphic as a signature? Just ask me.

Comment

If a ball leaves the table ( and one will at some point ) then those nice expensive tiles will have a nice expensive crack in one .
            Its a Gimmick table , only footballers who want to express themselves would buy one .
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              Ok, i seem to be the only one here that actually like that thing
              I have to admit I read the heading and thought "WTF would I want that for"? on closer inspection apart from the dodgy feet its got Id love one but saying that id have to win the lottery to employ a cleaner just for it cos theres no a chance in hell of me wiping it down after every rack etc Ive got enough glass to clean in my house as it is!!!
              Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
                I have wondered why slate is still the best material for a pool table in 2009.
                Surely a table-sized surface that is lightweight and dent-proof can be fabricated out of any number of hi-tech materials in a dimensonally stable honeycomb-type structure...

Any thoughts?

=o)

Noel
                yep ... it's because slate is still the flattest combined with hardest wearing substance known to man - I agree, surprising in this age of sending men to the moon and quantum mechanics and all that, but it still is ...

if the slates are set flat and well joined, all the vagaries of the table are because of dents or damage to the cloth, not the slate ... surely?

Comment

Slate get dented all the time.
                  Someone told me the thickness of the slate would affect the speed and how true the balls roll on the table. Not sure of it is true.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                  X