Cloth repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth repairs

We just had one of the tables at our club recovered last week but already some prat has torn the cloth. The tear is just on the drop of one of the middle pockets and is triangular about a half inch on each of the 3 sides.

Can anyone suggest the best way to repair this so that it doesn't get any worse?

torn cloth

It is possible to stitch together tears,this used to be done quite a lot.My grandfather used to do it locally,mind he was a tailor.Sounds like this damage is in a bad position,any repair would have to be pressed really flat to minimise disruption to the ball.
    As the cloth has only recently been replaced,would it be possible to re-position it sideways,just to take the tear into the well?

Comment

How could the cloth possibly get torn there?

Here's what I've done in the past...
      I don't know what brand in the UK, but get a textile adhesive (Bison?) and apply it to the edges of the tear, try and avoid getting it on the slate, so use a piece of wire or something to slide under the cloth (thru the torn part) and keep the cloth off the slate until the glue becomes tacky, then draw the edges together and hold in place and press flat until the glue holds by itself.
      This should be good enough for a long time...and almost un-noticeable.
      Last edited by barracuda911; 17 February 2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

adhesive as per above. stitching effects the run of the ball too much imho.

Comment

The position of the tear is quite a bad one. To get a really satisfactory job done on this it will be necessary to remove one end cushion and both side cushions and take out the tacks that keep the cloth on position. Sew the cloth from the underneath and then replace the cloth to its original position. I suppose it is best for your club to employ your local Billiard fitter for this work. In doing the repair, he will also stretch the bedcloth, remark the baulkline and `tap down` the sewing so`s it will not interfere with the running of the ball.
          Doing a `top sewing` WILL interfere with the running of the ball, but if sewn from underneath it will turn out perfect.
          Good Luck
          Ryanah
          When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Working...
          X