Brunswick Tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brunswick Tables

I tried posting these questions in the "lounge" without any responses so I thought that I would try again here. I have a couple of questions regarding Brunswick tables...

1. When did Brunswick stop making snooker tables?

2. When did Brunswick stop making 5' x 10' tables?

Thanks in advance...:snooker:
    Cheers,
    -- Bill --

Bill,

Sorry I can’t help, but there was a Brunswick dealer in the Mississauga area, perhaps they can help, if they are still open. Also Brunswick made 5 ½ x 11 tables.

A tidbit for you, the Academy Of Spherical Arts is situated in the old Brunswick building. If you haven’t visited, it’s worth the trip. They have a very ornate Burroughes and Watts snooker table and a very impressive bar. The building is located at #1 Snooker Street. Here’s an attachment to their site.

http://www.sphericalarts.com/about_history.htm

Mike

Comment

Mike... yes, The Academy is a lovely spot.
      I have only been once... for (you would never guess)... A Baby Shower!
      It seems setup primarily for Special Event bookings rather than a place to actually go to play with mates. Good idea to call ahead to see whazzup!

=o)

Noel

PS. Other than the odd heirloom imported table, I expect most of the tables in Canada were made by Brunswick in Canada... the cost per pound to ship from UK would have been staggering.

Comment

Noel,

You are right, the Academy is mostly used for special events. What better place to have a baby shower than at an upscale pool hall. The last time I was there, you entered off the side street into the room with the Brunswick Monarch table. That was at 3:00 in the afternoon and the waitress said that they do get a number of people stopping in before heading home from work.

You are right about the shipping costs from overseas. The items in my collection from there have cost me dearly for shipping and customs.

I have a Burroughes & Watts table dating back to I believe the late1800's. It had a business card stapled to the frame. It shows an original address for the company at 90 Front Street in Toronto. It seems they then moved to St. Laurence Street.

Mike

Comment

I have seen the Brunswick anniversary and gold crown 6x12 tables, I believe the anniversary has thicker slates. I have also seen a Brunswick that looks like a BCE, and I think it is called a Monarch or something like that. It is build liek a BCE or Rily, no metal plates/black rubber around the pockets.
          Correct me if I am worng but I believe Brunswick still will make you a snooker table that looks like a Gold Crown 9 ball table used on the WPBA but bigger if you want to order one.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I'm down in sunny Cuba with a VERY SLOW network connection. I will check with my local Brunswick dealer when I get back about a special snooker table order, it's a table that I would love to own. I have room for a table up to 5 X 10 but I would have to move one pole in the basement to fit a 6 x 12. I'm guessing...but I would think that moving that pole properly 4.5 feet would cost us at least $15,000 to $20,000. Has anyone here moved a load bearing pole in the past? The house is only 5 months old.
            Cheers,
            -- Bill --

Comment

support pole removal

Seven years ago we re did the lower floor of our old house, just in order to hold a snooker table.

We supplemented the two old wood beams with steel. The choiice of steel over pre-laminated was in order to get extra span without extra depth.

We have a four inch bump on the outside wall that hold the new teleposts but our open span is more that 16.5 feet. The billiard room is now 16.5 by 37 ft.

We have moved our nine ball table out to another section of the house and are still on the hunt for the 6 x 12.

The engineer cost 400,00 the steel beams about 600 each , i cannot remember the cost for the 4 teleposts and then there was labour, which I think was 3 hours for two guys.

All in all it was under 3000.00 canadian dollars for two beam and four teleposts installed.

Comment

Originally Posted by dynosar View Post
                Seven years ago we re did the lower floor of our old house, just in order to hold a snooker table.

We supplemented the two old wood beams with steel. The choiice of steel over pre-laminated was in order to get extra span without extra depth.

We have a four inch bump on the outside wall that hold the new teleposts but our open span is more that 16.5 feet. The billiard room is now 16.5 by 37 ft.

We have moved our nine ball table out to another section of the house and are still on the hunt for the 6 x 12.

The engineer cost 400,00 the steel beams about 600 each , i cannot remember the cost for the 4 teleposts and then there was labour, which I think was 3 hours for two guys.

All in all it was under 3000.00 canadian dollars for two beam and four teleposts installed.
                First of all thanks for the reply...if I can move the pole for $5,000.00 or less it will get moved. If the pole moves I'll have a 20 x 40 foot room without any obstructions. Without moving the pole I'm limited to a 15 foot width, and the snooker table will have to go where I would like to put my home theater.

If you are looking at 6 x 12 table I found a couple of used Brunswick tables on the Internet (Toronto area) in the $2,500 to $3,500 price range. What part of Canada are you from?

When I get back to Canada I'm going to the local Brusnwick dealer to see if a snooker tabke can still be custom ordered - something like a Crown V. Their cataloge only shows billiard tables now, and they are limited to 4.5 x 9. I would like to get a 5 x 10 or a 6 x 12 if I can get the pole moved. I've always wanted a Brunswick table.

The other option to investigage is getting a Black Crown snooker table, and I think they are made in Quebec. Apparently they still make snooker tables in all of the popular sizes. Anyone here fimiliar with these tables...are they any good? How do they compare to a Brunswick?
                Cheers,
                -- Bill --

Comment

brunswick table

I am in calgary and have a line on a 1948 Brunswick and will send out my table mechanic to check it out.

I would get an engineer to look at your post as a first step.

Comment

Sometimes, you can get a Brunswick full size for a couple hundred bucks.

They are great tables, solid and durable.

They pockets usually come bigger and the cushions are cut more forgiving than a Riley.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

bought a table

I was able to buy a late 1940's Anniversary Brunswick 6 x 12 . I paid, with light and cues , $1100.00

The slates are in marvelous condition. I polished the cast aluminium
                      corners so now it looks great.

The cloth was good but 11 years old so I replaced it anyway. Played last night, it was heaven.

Now that I have a table and a cue all I need is talent.

Comment

I was able to buy a late 1940's Anniversary Brunswick 6 x 12 . I paid, with light and cues , $1100.00

The cloth was good but 11 years old so I replaced it anyway. Played last night, it was heaven.

Get out!! 1100 buckZ only??? Great stuff man

Comment

Thanks to TSF...
                          I suffer from The ENVIES...

* cue envy
                          * talent envy

and now...

* table envy

But, dynosar that is just SO COOL ... happy for you!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Thanks guys.

$1100.00 Canadian , that is about $3.95 US lol.

Comment

I found a 1940's Brunswick 5X10 in Cornwall Ontario for free, just had to pick it up. It was already disassembled. The guy had it for sale for about a month, wanted 1500 and had no takers. He posted it on the locale trader for free to the first caller. My wife seen it as she is always on those used item sites and called right away. We picked it up the next day.

Comment

Working...
                              X