Information required to setup 'Pro' table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information required to setup 'Pro' table

I'm looking at opening a new pool room in Sydney, Australia.
    I will also have Snooker table/s.
    At this time, there are no Pro spec tables in Sydney (unless they are in someones house!).
    So what I would like to do is get as close to Pro spec as possible when refurbishing the Snooker table/s.
    I need this information:

1. Pocket design/template for Pro Spec (TV) tables.
    2. Cloth used for Pro Spec (TV) tables.
    3. Balls used for Pro Spec (TV) tables.
    4. Rubber used for Pro Spec (TV) tables.
    if you want something done right, do it yourself!

are you looking at fitting the tables yourself? if not, the services of a good table fitter might seem appropriate and he/she would no doubt answer your questions ...

the answer to (3) is, on the WPBSA tour, Aramith Tournament Champions ... I'm not sure about the other questions ...

wish I was a table fitter cos I've always wanted to visit Australia ... although, you may be able to find one more local and more qualified than me ...

Comment

I have asked a few local companies (not to many in Sydney as cuesports are rare over here, especially pool).
      However, none could give a straight answer or I found a bit shifty and less credible.

Thanks for answering one question though, 3 to go.

I'll keep looking, but thought I'd ask on a UK forum as thats the home of Snooker!

Comment

The cloth used in world ranking events is strachan no 10 cloth

I think the tables are Rileys, not sure which model though
        New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Yes, the cloth for the WPBSA tournaments including the World Championship is Strachan No10. Which I think is the newer version to the 6811 Gold.

The WPBSA don't release their pocket templates to the public. You will have to get in touch with the IBSF and get the 'amateur' pocket templates for the amateur game.

The balls are Aramith Tournament Champion and the table is the Riley Aristocrat (silver colour legs) and for China tournaments the Star table (gold colour legs).

The rubber is Northern Rubber cushions.

Good luck with your club.

bongo
          Last edited by bongo; 5 June 2009, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Table setup

Don`t forget the TV tables are also fitted with steel block cushions.

See link
            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=330335257410

If you need any further info please send a private message.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
              Yes, the cloth for the WPBSA tournaments including the World Championship is Strachan No10. Which I think is the newer version to the 6811 Gold.

The WPBSA don't release their pocket templates to the public. You will have to get in touch with the IBSF and get the 'amateur' pocket templates for the amateur game.

The balls are Aramith Tournament Champion and the table is the Riley Aristocrat (silver colour legs) and for China tournaments the Star table (gold colour legs).

The rubber is Northern Rubber cushions.

Good luck with your club.

bongo

Bongo is correct but I think he forgot to mention the tables also heated.

...If you are opening a club it is worth remembering that this cloth is very fine and the gold cloth or slightly thicker cloth may suit your tables better as they will last you a bit longer.

I would def visit it next time I am there though if you had match tables like this.

The TSF member to ask on here about these things is Geoff large in my opinion.

Comment

I agree with Senga 147 , pro tables should have steel block cushions , there are official templates for steel blocks , you would have to get some copies made up as originals are hard to come by , these consist of pocket openings for corner and centre , plus under cutt templates , the radius of the fall should be 3.1/2 inch to the drop .

cloth to use is No 10 as already stated ( but will not last long in commercial use , so would recomend 6811 tournement or Hainsworth smart , you could also try hainsworth match .

Rubber = should be Northern rubber from Retford in nottinghamshire . it is the recommended rubber for pro tables , be aware of imported rubbish on the market that can go hard and crumble . recomend rubber to be changed every 10 to 15 years , but it can last upto 25 years .
                New rubber has to be bruised in to reach maximum bounce , this can take upto 3 months of play . also after a recover the cloth can be tight around the rubber , it takes a few Days to slaken off a bit from compressing the rubber .

Balls = Arimith tournament in the blue and gold box . these are almost same spec as the old super crystalate balls .

When setting the hieght of the cushion rubber , you have to take into account the thickness of the cloth being used , thicker cloth will raise the cushion , the lower nose of the rubber should make contact with the ball just above centre of ball

The only Billiard table firm I could recomend in australia is B&K Billiards in victoria near Melbourne , but not sure if they use the type of materials to UK pro spec ,( I did once apply for a job there but was put off by trap door spiders and other poisness creatures , dont laugh its a true story ), the problem being is Australia is too close for the imports of south east aisia and china where the lower quality Snooker pool and billiard goods are made . some of the tables imported into australia are only good for Bonfire wood . so be carefull .
                [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                  The only Billiard table firm I could recomend in australia is B&K Billiards in victoria near Melbourne , but not sure if they use the type of materials to UK pro spec ,( I did once apply for a job there but was put off by trap door spiders and other poisness creatures , dont laugh its a true story ), the problem being is Australia is too close for the imports of south east aisia and china where the lower quality Snooker pool and billiard goods are made . some of the tables imported into australia are only good for Bonfire wood . so be carefull .
                  Geoff and Senga ... I really enjoy reading all your postings - very helpful and really gives us an insight to the art of table fitting ...

Only one point I'll pick up on Geoff ... I think you meant venomous creatures rather than poisonous ...

Sorry to be pedantic but a venomous creature is one that can kill or seriously harm you with it's bite/sting etc ... a poisonous creature is one that will kill or harm you if you eat it ... I assume you weren't eating the spiders when you went to your job interview for B&K

BTW, what's your Geoff and Senga's view on the difference between Aramith TC and Aramith Super Cristallite (spelling?) ... never got a straight answer from anyone about that but hopefully you two can ...

Comment

hey mate, whereabouts you gonna setup the club at? i live in sydney too, will definite come and play as long as the price is reasonable....

Comment

To tell you the truth , Iv'e not much experience with Aramith super chrystalate you do not see many sets around , but expect them to be matched for colour in the reds for uniformity and the weight will be exact for each ball , unlike standard balls which can very by a few grams only.
                      I think Aramith tournament are as good as any top quality ball made if you do not mind a gram out here and there .
                      Just remember to buy at least 3 more cue balls when buying a set of balls , as it is this ball that takes all the battering from cue and impact and will require replaceing at least 3 times in the life of the set .

Yes I did mean venomous , and talking of eating spiders when I was in the Army in my younger days I was stationed in Belize just below Mexico , it is a jungle out there and one night for Officers amusement we where asked to eat Tarantula , the natives catch these spiders and roast them like marshmellows over a fire to get rid of those barbed hairs . legs Tastes like chicken but inners looks like Sn*t . a bit of Bear Grylls for you ....lol
                      Last edited by Geoff Large; 6 June 2009, 12:02 PM.
                      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                        talking of eating spiders when I was in the Army in my younger days I was stationed in Belize just below Mexico , it is a jungle out there and one night for Officers amusement we where asked to eat Tarantula , the natives catch these spiders and roast them like marshmellows over a fire to get rid of those barbed hairs . legs Tastes like chicken but inners looks like Sn*t . a bit of Bear Grylls for you ....lol
                        Urrrrrrrrr man that is disgusting.

Comment

Thanks for the additional information, enough to go on although I doubt I will be able to make the pockets pro-cut without a miracle!
                          So maybe IBSF will have to do...

The Pro cloth is 30oz as well.
                          I may stick to this for a while (even though it wears faster), as its only 1 or 2 Snooker tables in the club its not a big expense throughout the year.
                          RSL clubs here in Sydney charge $0 for use of their tables, hence the reason why I won't be getting to many as not many people will use them. The tables in these clubs though are generally rough as guts though, so I want to have a top example to stand out (USP - Unique Selling Point).

SebastianZ: club will be around CBD area of Sydney (within 10Km max) as I also want to ensure I can tap into Student market (Uni and Tafe etc).
                          Rate will be $16 per hour for members and $20 for non-members at this point in time.
                          I'm hoping before October this year as I have also spoken with APPF to host Australian 8-Ball Championships this year in November as I'll have plenty of 9ft WPA spec pool tables (first decent venue in Sydney and NSW in fact).

Comment

SebastianZ: club will be around CBD area of Sydney (within 10Km max) as I also want to ensure I can tap into Student market (Uni and Tafe etc).
                            Rate will be $16 per hour for members and $20 for non-members at this point in time.
                            I'm hoping before October this year as I have also spoken with APPF to host Australian 8-Ball Championships this year in November as I'll have plenty of 9ft WPA spec pool tables (first decent venue in Sydney and NSW in fact).[/QUOTE]

I m not sure if $20/h is an attractive rate to be honest, as your closest competitor City Tattersail clubs only charge around $50 for annual membership and you get to play on beautiful tables for free. and there's another club near UTS only charges $13 p/h although their table conditions are horrible, but most students are price sensitive.

HOWEVER there's a few things you can do.
                            my suggestion to you is to install some cameras to record the game and your players can purchase some of their performance for a small fee.(I personally wouldnt mind to pay for $10 for the recording of my centuries). From my knowledge only 1 club in sydney offers that facility and it's a very exclusive club.
                            also, put up some LCD tvs and play some of the snooker/pool videos is more likely to keep your players stay and motivated.

I wish all the best to your new club, and let me know when/whereabouts you are going to open it.

Comment

Working...
                            X